UKBouldering.com

keeping it real........ ales that is! (Read 228362 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#100 keeping it real........ ales that is!
January 20, 2006, 06:57:30 pm
For all you beer lovers in the manchester area, see you there tomorrow night!

National Winter Ales Festival 2006

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/food/s/199/199719_beer_festival_pulling_em_in.html

a dense loner

• forum hero
#101 keeping it real........ ales that is!
January 20, 2006, 07:41:46 pm
a few of us keen to go, so if anyone else is... the usual vetting process applies

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#102 keeping it real........ ales that is!
January 20, 2006, 08:37:41 pm
Oh the pain - I'm on the 3rd week of a month off all beer and smoke.

I can't wait until that fourth week is done and I can again sup the magic brew.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#103 keeping it real........ ales that is!
January 20, 2006, 09:38:12 pm
I haven't had a drop for 3 days. I feel like shit. Its done me no good at all. I'm off out for a pint or 6 now  :D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#104 keeping it real........ ales that is!
January 20, 2006, 10:51:43 pm
twat :lol:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
Roll up, roll up. ale festival time again

http://www.stockportfestival.fsnet.co.uk/

also my birthday that weekend so be getting a keg in at home for after as well

whispering nic

• player
Roosters  Yankee

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
if you like your milds Copper Dragon - Black Gold and Grainstore - Rutland Panther are ones to watch out for.  Both are lovely flavoursome stuff - don't think Copper ragon have ever made a bad beer.  And for all you ex-Durham students (Dave etc?) there's a newie from The Durham Brewery (winners of last years GBBF bottled beer of the year with Evensong) called Ruby Mild and their old favourite Magus (a nice light session ale).  Though I'm friends with one of their brewers so I feel duty bound to mention them.

Best beers I've had for ages, which will be there, though are Thornbridge's Jaipur Pale Ale and Fullers Golden Pride which manages the dangeous trick of being 8.5% but drinkable..... though to be honest there is only one true "tick" to get at the festival (regardless of taste): Millstone - True Grit (karma points to whoever steels the pump clip).

Bowie

• addict
i am the antithisis of a real ale drinker... however... my better half used to live in Postlip Hall, nr cheltenham, which has an annual beer festival, full of real ale drinker types, and this year i will mostly be flipping burgers and drinking free real ale at said event. sweeet. i think there's even a farmers dance or something.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Beer festivals are great for just seeing how many rum old coves you can fit in a room.  You could probably invent a lethal drinking game or perhaps write one of those "Spotter's Guides" (anyone else remember those?.... sparrow 2 pts... golden eagle 50 pts!) based on the now, sadly rare, examples of humanity you see. 

Persoanl favourite CAMRA cliches are those incredibly protuberant, rounded beer guts you see attached to otherwise very spindly fellas; people who regardless of origin look incredibly "Cornish" (hard to define: cheerful and ruddy-faced with an air of enjoying smuggling and luring ships onto rocks with lanterns), the wild-eyed insane looking types who always gather around the cider / perry stall; and the "techno-tickers" who can be seen gamely struggling against alcohol induced dementia to enter tasting-notes into palm-pilots....

Duma

• forum hero
Speaking of cider/perry, you can get brothers pear cider outside of glastonbury festival now! Not sure of the quality, but I've certainly had some good times on it...

Not really the same when its not in an unmarked 2l plastic bottle.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 04:50:10 pm by Duma »

dave

Persoanl favourite CAMRA cliches are those incredibly protuberant, rounded beer guts you see attached to otherwise very spindly fellas; people who regardless of origin look incredibly "Cornish" (hard to define: cheerful and ruddy-faced with an air of enjoying smuggling and luring ships onto rocks with lanterns), the wild-eyed insane looking types who always gather around the cider / perry stall; and the "techno-tickers" who can be seen gamely struggling against alcohol induced dementia to enter tasting-notes into palm-pilots....

I used to work with a camra person. The "in" look was apparently overweight, greasy skin and hair, tight black jeans and doc martins/other strange OTT black boots, and some kinda bad jumper or possibly a t-shirt bearing the name of a terry pratchett book.

On a better not, i had a bo pint of Meadow Mild in the phat cat tother night. can't remember what the brewery was though.

Duma

• forum hero
#112 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 27, 2006, 06:59:22 pm
the sheff beer fest topic reminded me - had a few of these in the cove house inn on Portland a few weeks back, right fine it is too

you can get the bottled version in sainsburys anall.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#113 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 27, 2006, 07:20:50 pm
the sheff beer fest topic reminded me - had a few of these in the cove house inn on Portland a few weeks back, right fine it is too

Agreed on this one. I was working in Nottingham last year for a fortnight, and made regular trips to a boozer called The Grove to get "Broadsided"

Nice

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#114 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 28, 2006, 08:52:35 am

Damned good beer - one of the best things to come out of Suffolk... ;D

bluebrad 

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#115 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 28, 2006, 09:11:02 am

had this at the weekend, best bottle Ive had for a while....and originally from my home town and most definitelty not cider

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#116 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 28, 2006, 10:46:48 am
Agreed on this one. I was working in Nottingham last year for a fortnight, and made regular trips to a boozer called The Grove to get "Broadsided"
Nice

Another fan of Broadside: it's got a dead nice, rich and fruity taste you don't seem to get so much of now (most "real ales" breweries tend to focus on light, hoppy, quite astringent beers these days).  Also one of the few ales to possibly taste better in a bottle - mainly because it's a lot stronger!

A date for your diaries: October 19-22nd Nottingham Beer Festival.  It's an absolutely bloody huge one....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#117 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 28, 2006, 08:02:33 pm
Was down the Sheaf View with SamT last night - they had Thornbridge Brewery's Brock Stout in. Very nice indeed - heavy and liquorice. Mmmm.

Also Wentworth W.P.A. was good, only had the bottles before.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#118 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 28, 2006, 09:27:17 pm
Speaking of cider/perry, you can get brothers pear cider outside of glastonbury festival now! Not sure of the quality, but I've certainly had some good times on it...

Not really the same when its not in an unmarked 2l plastic bottle.

On the cider front.

This is good tackle, you can get it in most Weatherspoons.

Check the website, loadsa good cider!!!!

http://www.kopparbergs.com/

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#119 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
September 29, 2006, 06:24:07 am
I'm having a bottle of this stuff right now

Its 8.2% so should help me sleep for a few hours before the early get up after the last night shift
hopefully the rain will hold off for a while to get out to the peak for a bit

Duma

• forum hero
#120 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
November 29, 2006, 11:02:55 am
http://www.butcombe.com/acatalog/pump_blond.jpg

czech hops, so not likley to appeal to those looking for the likes of broadside, but class nonetheless. Mate got a keg in for his wedding a while back, and rediscovered it last night after the wall. Probably out of luck unless you're bristol way though. (but if you are - nip through the tunnel beyond Undercover Rock and get a pint at 'The Farm'.

Duma

• forum hero
Single handedly keeping this thread alive, this one's for bonjoy (good beer anall, but comes over from chicago so you pay through the nose (beak?) for it)

dave

had one of these t'other night, its pretty agreeable.

Duma

• forum hero
see pg 4 dave - you're slowing down! Or is this just an amen to my good taste?  :beer2:

dave

fuck, don't make have to break out the brown cow:

or the czech black lager which is "lagered in a castle cellar for 70 days":

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal