the shizzle > bouldering

Peakbouldering.info issues

<< < (3/17) > >>

highrepute:

--- Quote from: rich d on January 27, 2014, 08:42:42 pm ---I've probably missed it too, but how about a bit more of a detailed map for the areas too? Appologies if it's already there and I'm just being an idiot.

--- End quote ---

I'd have thought this something that the users would have to create?

Kermit:
Great news.

Seems to be running much quicker although I thought i'd link a few vids and keep getting errors and tried to log a problem and got errors too.

:(

All seem to be server errors.

garethC:

--- Quote from: Kermit on January 27, 2014, 10:42:12 pm ---All seem to be server errors.

--- End quote ---

:sorry: That was my fault - I was deploying a new version of the site and in a fit of uncontrollable excitement forgot to check if anyone was on there. It's back again now and I will try harder to keep the enthusiasm under control check in future.

On the plus side:

--- Quote from: nai on January 27, 2014, 04:44:02 pm ---doesn't look like this is working on a regional basis though

--- End quote ---
it is now - top 30 problems with 3 or more ascents for areas and top 10 problems with 2 or more ascents for crags seemed to give a good balance

--- Quote from: nai on January 27, 2014, 04:44:02 pm ---Really hope more people start using it, could be so good with more logged ascents

--- End quote ---
I agree - the more logged ascents the better. You should now be able to like / tweet / share most problems / crags etc so hopefully that'll encourage a bit more traffic?

abarro81:
Last time I went on it I wanted to do something, can't remember what - maybe vote on a problem or add a comment - but it wouldn't let me because I had to log the problem first. Is it still like that? I have no desire for another log book and would only add info that doesn't involve having to log stuff.

garethC:

--- Quote from: abarro81 on January 27, 2014, 11:13:15 pm ---Last time I went on it I wanted to do something, can't remember what - maybe vote on a problem or add a comment - but it wouldn't let me because I had to log the problem first. Is it still like that? I have no desire for another log book and would only add info that doesn't involve having to log stuff.

--- End quote ---

Short answer: you can post an arbitrary comment on a problem without "logging" it, but pretty much anything else requires a log.

Long answer:
Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "log" - the idea wasn't to form a logbook, but rather to collect a load of structured data about the problem. The site has the option to run an advanced search that lets you find, for example, all of the 7a-7b grit aretes that get at least 3 stars. For this sort of search to work well, you need either a very clever computer, or else lots of structured opinions from people who have climbed the various problems - this is the point of "logging" ascents of problems. If you go to the site and log an ascent of your favourite problem you'll see that this gives you the chance to cast your opinion on the grade, quality and number of mats needed to climb the problem, along with a bunch of yes/no qualities such as whether you thought that it was powerful / scrittly / highball / stays dry in the rain etc. These opinions are then merged and presented as a (somewhat) anonymised distribution of opinion - as an example: 88% of respondents feel that trackside involves using a heel http://www.peakbouldering.info/problems/134-trackside

Originally, we thought that if you hadn't climbed a problem, you didn't really deserve to comment. I'm not sure if that's the right approach or not - I always think that every grit problem is desperate, until I get the knack climb it, then I realise it is easy and downgrade it ;)

Basically the best parts of the site only work if people register their opinions (i.e. log ascents), so if you like to use the site and don't take the time to register ascents, there's a fair chance that karma will bless you with poor friction and thin tips...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version