the shizzle > bouldering

Peakbouldering.info issues

(1/17) > >>

r-man:
Got together with Gareth recently and we had a look at what the site needed to improve. We've both been a bit slack in the last couple of years, but now it's time to get things sorted. Gareth has actually done quite a few less obvious fixes in recent times, but I hadn't realised. So here's a list of what's new and improved.

For starters, the server has been switched to Amazon, which should be more reliable, and also scale up whenever it is being heavily used. So it should be faster!

Also, in light of the recent yorkshiregrit demise, it's worth saying that if Gareth ever decides he no longer wants to run the site, he will happily hand over the database free to a good home.

General Changes
- The algorithm for 20 problems has been tweaked so only problems with more than 5 votes appear. Also, it's now top 50. The list looks a lot more like you'd expect now.
- There is a new link to filter problems beneath the recent updates. Several new filters have been added - eg. you can now search by crag, rocktype and area.
- The default view for crags is now to show all problems, makes it easier to use.
- On the home page, top videos have been replaced by random videos, to keep things fresh.
- Recent updates and new problems now show top 50.

New Actions
- You can now reorder buttresses if you click the edit button at the bottom of the relevant crag page.
- You can now reorder problems if you click the edit button at the bottom of the relevant buttress page.
- Moderators can now delete problems and buttresses.

Feeback
There is also an orange feedback tab on the right of the page. Click this if you want to suggest any ideas. If we get the site to a level that people are happy with, there's no reason we can't expand it to include other areas if that's what people want. At the moment I think the wiki functions are better than any other site (though of course there's always room for improvement), but I am aware that user profiles and ticklists are lacking. Oh, and the map still needs fixing. Anything else?

http://peakbouldering.info

Currently in Progress
- I've started adding the Anston Stones problems - if anyone wants to help, feel free. Now that it's easy to reorder and delete, it doesn't matter if you cock up a problem. There are loads of Anston beta videos out there, so it would be nice to get these on the site so that people can see them all in one place.

- If there are any crags/buttresses/problems that were cocked up by mulitple entries in the past, please can you post details here, and moderators can easily delete them, or get Gareth to merge them if they have ascents logged.

Johnny Brown:
Effort.

Bonjoy:
Nice one!  :beer2: That's most of my gripes sorted out. I've got a backlog of stuff I need to update.

T_B:
Nice work and nice touch sending out emails to people who's videos you are embedding to check that they don't mind.

Great site - use it all the time.

tomtom:
A bit more spry on the new servers: Excellent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version