UKBouldering.com

Ian Vincent - RIP (Read 37312 times)

TonyS

• regular
#50 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 24, 2014, 08:07:31 am
Some fantastic posts by a lot of people, that have brought back some great memories.
Lost touch with Ian when he stopped climbing and I moved south but had bumped into a few times since.

A sad loss to all and sure he will be missed.

Don't know if will be able to make the funeral as I start a new job soon.

Thoughts go to his family.. :(

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#51 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 24, 2014, 08:50:49 am
I'm remembering ian in fits of laughter at our attempts to speak french during a late 80s buoux trip and of course his stealthy climbing form, always upwards - life seems so fragile sometimes - RIP

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#52 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 24, 2014, 06:58:28 pm
So sad to hear this. I knew Ian in Yorkshire in the late 80s/early 90s. I remember sitting on a bench in the old Bradford wall discussing eliminates on the leaning concrete face with him (he was always so focussed). And of course going to his amazing boards in Saltaire and watching him cruise up route after route at Malham and Kilnsey.

Paul T

• regular
#53 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 25, 2014, 08:31:24 am
That's very sad news. Condolences to Ian's family and all his close friends.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#54 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 28, 2014, 02:20:02 pm
Any news on a date for the funeral?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#55 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 29, 2014, 07:50:47 am
Not yet Graeme but as soon as I know I'll post on here.

Tim

SamT

• forum hero
#56 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 29, 2014, 11:07:51 am

Mentioned this to an old school friend who probably met Ian through clubbing ('little' James for those that might know him) and he reminded me that Ian taught him Economics A level at Lady Manners School in Bakewell for one term - about 1990 ish).
I'd completely forgotten about this.  Strange affair to be out clubbing with one of your ex A Level teachers.

GrahamS

#57 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 29, 2014, 01:19:20 pm
I going to believe that one minute he was out doing something he loved and the next he was just gone...

Hello, I'm from SingletrackWorld, a mountain biking forum that Ian also frequented.  He was well liked there too.

I thought it might offer you some comfort to know that his last post over there was in reply to a "Where did you ride this weekend?" thread.

He said simply:

Ille sur Tet (near Perpignan), it was sunny and the trails were dry

That seems oddly fitting.

Happy trails Ian.

ian dunn

• player
#58 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 29, 2014, 01:25:00 pm
Very very sad news about Ian, I spent many hours with him at Malham and Kilnsey in the late 80's early 90's and he was always so fluid on his regular multiple ascents of Rain Dogs, The Oak and Zoolook. He nearly always did them in Ninjas too which given how polished the tiny footholds were even then must have made them even harder! Mind you he was partly responsible for some of the polish!!!

He chatted a lot with Claudie who being French, enjoyed hearing his tales of Aix and climbing at Buoux with the french 'A' Team at the time. Ian always admired Antoine LeMenestrel as being the smoothest climber he had ever seen.

He was also no slouch in the competition scene and he made the top 10 (either fourth or sixth) at Leeds 89, I can't find a result list on line, but he certainly was in the Final. He entered a few more World Cups about then too and did quite well if I recall.

Ian always made us laugh he enjoyed climbing and seeing others enjoy it too, he was happy to poke fun at leading lights (John Dunne, Mark Leach and Tony Mitchell) but always in good way and not malicious.

I hadn't seen him for many years but I do have very fond memories and I wish to pass my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Ian

There is a thread on the other Channel about this too.

Ian Dunn

stuartb

#59 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 29, 2014, 01:53:12 pm
Hi

I am helping Ian's family organise the funeral and will post details of when it is happening. I know that the family hopes that some of his climbing and biking friends make it as this was such an important part of his life.

I am also writing the speech for the funeral so any contributions are welcome…

Regards

Stuart

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#60 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 31, 2014, 09:11:50 am
Quote from: Mick Ward=topic=http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=576730&lgn=9478

Ian Vincent – A Personal Memory

I first met Ian in late 1984. Deak, a former climbing partner, knew a young guy called Andy Robinson (later, for a while, his brother-in-law). Andy was coming to Sheffield. He needed somewhere short-term to live. And he had a mate called Ian. Gail and I were glad to help. Soon the four of us were squeezed into a little terraced house on Peveril Road, off Ecclesall.

Ian and I hit it off, right from the start. Night after night, we tired the moon with our talking. I’d stagger upstairs in the wee early hours and Gail would drowsily mutter, “What have you two been on about?” I never really knew. What I do know is – it mattered.

There was something about Ian back then, something different, something very, very special indeed, which I can’t capture. For a start, there was a total absence of guile. He was utterly open, utterly transparent. When he smiled, it was as though you could see straight through to his soul. He was young, maybe 18 or so, sensitive, intellectually precocious, extremely idealistic. I was a decade older and had already struggled in the world for the sake of my dreams. Occasionally the uneasy thought flitted across my mind that someone as sensitive, gifted and idealistic as Ian might have a hard time of it.

The weeks raced past, filled with studying and talking. Ian had a monster work ethic; he never stopped. Although it was winter, Ian, Andy and I were all climbers so we must have gone out at some time. All I can remember now is one freezing day when Ian and I were brick-edge crimping. Ian, probably sensibly, packed it in before me. It was to be the only time when I arguably climbed better. In truth though, it doesn’t count. I knew that traverse backwards; Ian didn’t.

Next summer we went to Wales, where it quickly became obvious that Ian was a couple of grades better and I was equally quickly reduced to clutching at slings. I remember we watched an injured Andy Pollitt running along the Marine Drive at Pen Trwyn, looking up at routes he could no longer do and would probably never be able to do again. It was gut-wrenchingly poignant. Although we muttered hello, neither Ian nor I could look him in the eye. Thankfully, a year or so later, Andy made one of the most remarkable recoveries in the history of climbing. He now rightfully graces the front cover of Peak Rock.

Shortly afterwards, both Ian and I went into the corporate world. I’m not sure either of us were really cut out for it but you give these things a try. The next I remember was driving up to Saltaire a few times to stay with him in Ada Street. Something had changed, certainly in him, maybe in both of us. Although we still enjoyed each other’s company, the old familiarity had gone.

And now the difference in our climbing abilities was massive. Sport climbing had arrived with a vengeance. As an E3/E4 climber, hitting middle-age, working too hard and putting on weight, I was reduced to struggling on F6c. Conversely Ian was running up F8a+. I’d belay him and have to fight just to get off the ground. Next to his exquisite skinniness, I felt like a beached whale.

Ian loved steep rock. Once he’d gone climbing in Ireland with Calvin Torrans. They’d done E1/E2 stuff on a mountain crag, Luggala, I believe. With a nice walk-in (uphill on the way out), probably lots of slimy drainage streaks and doubtless the odd wet, grass-covered ledge thrown in for good measure, Calvin was as happy as a pig in poo. Conversely Ian was thoroughly disgusted. “And it wasn’t even steep!” he moaned.

When Ian built his epic training boards at Saltaire, nobody could argue that they weren’t steep enough. But when he once confided, “Malham isn’t really that steep...” I looked up at the capping overhangs and shuddered. One thing was for sure – it was too steep for me.

One day we were on The Catwalk, then the province of the elite. I was bitterly aware I wasn’t there on merit and felt a total fraud. With Gommy (Pete Gomersall) and Dalvinder, we wandered across to have a natter with Mark Leach, the strongest climber in the country, fully decked out in 1980s rock-star regalia.

I can’t for the life of me remember what Mark was about to embark upon. I think it was F8b. He exploded up the start in a display of power which I’ve never seen equalled... only for his foot to pop on what looked (from the ground!) like a 5c smear. I remember thinking, “If I’d got that far, I could have finished it!” (This was almost certainly complete delusion.) Down flew Mark, even faster than he’d gone up. All four of us, together with Mark’s belayer, were suffused with a mixture of disbelief and cringing embarrassment. The suffocating silence was finally broken by Ian’s wry comment, “Footwork by Leach...” All six of us burst out laughing, Mark as much as anyone, although part of him must have been gutted. But we couldn’t have stayed in collective denial forever. Somebody had to say something. And Ian made the perfect response.

By now Ian was a top climber, his peers the international elite. In the World Cup, he came joint-seventh, tying with the former world champion, Patrick Edlinger. Typically I never told him how proud of him I was. Now I never can.

At Christmas 1992, Gommy, Dal, Dave Sarkar, Ian, Julia (a former girlfriend) and I went off to El Chorro. Meeting Ian’s parents and sister for the first time, you instantly saw where his decency came from. They were such lovely people. Now, all these years later, my heart goes out to them.

Sadly, probably mostly due to post-relationship angst between Julia and myself, the trip wasn’t a great success. At times it was fraught. To his credit, Ian never uttered a word of reproach.

On New Year’s Day, much the worse for wear from the previous night’s revelries, we went up to Makinodromo. On the forty-five minute uphill walk-in, I threw up three times and arrived thoroughly dehydrated. On the crag I disgraced myself by bailing half-way up a F7a, leaving Dave Sarkar’s quick-draws in-situ. Meanwhile, just around the corner, Ian on-sighted Lourdes, one of the most famous and beautiful F8as in the world. It may have been the first on-sight; I’m not sure. One thing was for sure; this time, even Ian couldn’t argue that it wasn’t steep enough.

A few minutes later, when Ian and his fat, bumbly mate were wandering along the base of the crag, we came across a cave filled with bearded, bohemian types of all nationalities (Irish and German seemingly predominating). The cave had been fitted with rude shelving and held vast quantities of food, mostly potatoes. Evidently all of it had been dragged uphill on that tortuous walk-in. I looked at row after row of spuds and felt the onset of another bout of nausea.

Tri-lingual Ian (English, French, German), asked them what was happening. In Teutonically stilted English, a decidedly Wagnerian type explained that they’d brought up supplies for a six month siege of Lourdes. Beside me, I felt Ian stiffen. I didn’t dare look at him. As one, we knew we had to make a graceful exit - fast. We were sidling towards the cave entrance when yet another wannabe rushed in. “Someone has just on-sighted Lourdes!” he Teutonically declaimed. He stopped short, peered suspiciously in the gloom at Ian. We didn’t wait for the quivering, outstretched finger and the outraged denunciation, “And it is him!!” Mortified, the pair of us fled. Ruefully I thought of the poor sods, stuck in that draughty cave for month after month, eking out those miserable spuds, knowing all the while that Lourdes had been despatched in a few minutes.

A couple of days later, I was belaying Ian, once again whinging about how rubbish my climbing was. Beyond all endurance, he snapped, “Do you want to know what your problem is?” Dave Sarkar was trying his best not to smirk and understandably not doing too good a job of it. A horrible silence was finally broken by a quavering, “What??” “You’re too heavy!” (This from the lightest climber ever.) Gulp. “OK...” (In a quavering little voice.)

We came back to England. I said goodbye to Ian at the airport, went home and thought about what he’d said. He was right. Two stone came off. I trained on boards, though not as steep as the Saltaire ones. F6c became F7c. Although nothing in the great scale of things, for me hundreds of routes suddenly became possible.

I only saw Ian once again, a couple of years later, setting some boulder problems at a climbing event I’d gone to write about. His face creased into the lovely smile I remembered, the smile that had been there back at the beginning. He was glad to see me. The not-so-good stuff was gone. There was just his lovely, lovely smile – straight through into his soul. It’s what I have of him now. It’s what I will always have.

As the years slipped past, faster and faster, inexorably the distance between us widened. Occasionally you’d hear the odd rumour. He was reputed to have headed up The Ashes, having forgotten to tie into the rope. (Was it steep enough for him, I wondered?) Then I heard he’d given up climbing, got into DJing and clubbing. I was a generation older and didn’t understand stuff like that.

Once, many years later, he turned up on UKC and some idiot derisively asked him what he knew about climbing. I wanted to post, “He came seventh in the world, you fool!” Ian gave a better example with a dignified silence. Across cyberspace, we exchanged greetings.

There was so much of Ian’s life I didn’t know about. I didn’t know he had a partner and a son. How proud he would have been! I didn’t know he’d found a new passion in mountain biking. A few weeks ago, by chance, I discovered some old photos of him on the internet. “What’s he doing now?” I mused.

And then one day, it’s too late. He’s gone. You try to console yourself, thinking that he died doing what he loved, that hopefully his death was as quick and as painless as it gets.

But inside you’re falling apart, tearing yourself to shreds. In nearly 50 years, I’ve known about 50 climbers who’ve gone. You’d think it would get easier. But it doesn’t get easier. It gets harder.

Ian was special – and not just to me. He was special. I’m not saying that because of his passing. I’m saying it because it’s true. There was some rare quality he had, something I glimpsed right there, back at the beginning, 30 years ago, a light in his eyes that drew you straight into his soul.

Ian, I’m sorry. As a friend, I failed you. I let life get in the way. I let it separate us. I didn’t realise deeply enough that friendship is a precious gift which needs to be continually nourished and replenished.

Now what remains is your smile. And your smile is with me for as long as I live. Thank you.

Mick

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#61 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 31, 2014, 10:28:23 am
If Mick Ward was registered here he'd be getting waddage by the dozen.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#62 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 31, 2014, 11:22:33 am
+1. A touching and poignant tribute.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#63 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 31, 2014, 11:40:11 am
Wow...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#64 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 31, 2014, 03:39:24 pm
Superb words which speak with perfect eloquence of the man Ian was, I hope it brought a tear to others eyes as it has mine.

The ashes incident did indeed happen too as I was holding his rope at the time, gave me the fright of my life as the galaxy flipped through every quick to the floor. Ian simply clipped in to the drawer in his hand as we flicked a rope over fom an adjacent route. Is was mind enough for us both to call it a day.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#65 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
January 31, 2014, 07:22:56 pm
Can someone scan in the power of climbing chapter please....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#66 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
February 01, 2014, 09:32:10 am
Cheers.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#67 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
February 01, 2014, 09:41:56 am

Ian's funeral will take place on Friday 7th February at at 9.30am. 

Afterwards, for refreshments, at Oakwood Hall Hotel in Bingley.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#68 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
February 02, 2014, 07:11:12 pm
There's space for 1 or 2 small ones in a car going up on Friday. Leaving Chesterfield Rd at 7.30

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#69 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
February 03, 2014, 12:26:03 pm
i'll be driving up from Hathersage and going through Sheffield on Friday too so if anyone wan'ts a lift just let me know or DM me your address and be happy to drop by and give you a lift

Tim

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#70 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
February 06, 2014, 05:56:41 pm
Sorry I can't be there, I'm in France snowboarding. Given the choice I reckon Vinnie would say go snowboarding. RIP mate.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#71 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
February 07, 2014, 02:11:37 pm
Just posting this for those who wanted to attend Ian's funeral but who weren't able to.  There was a good turnout, thanks to all who came.

It's also worth saying that Ian died from a heart attack, not a stroke as we previously thought.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#72 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
February 07, 2014, 08:47:35 pm
Shame it was under such sad circumstances but good to see a few folk after many years.

All that was missing was some banging techno as we all left.

andy popp

• forum hero
#73 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
February 07, 2014, 09:50:28 pm
Thanks Mike and Graeme for the report, I'm glad there was a good turn out.  Just sorry I couldn't be there.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#74 Re: Ian Vincent - RIP
February 08, 2014, 09:29:58 am
Shame it was under such sad circumstances but good to see a few folk after many years.

All that was missing was some banging techno as we all left.
thats what i was hoping for too Graeme.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal