UKBouldering.com

Freeware image editing / Photoshop substitute. (Read 5688 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
See title. I'm used to using an old version of Photoshop CS but it's stopped working. I'd like something as similar as possible. Ease of use is pretty important (I did have a look at GIMP a while ago and didn't like it), as is image editing stuff like auto-levels, shadow & highlight, photo filter, variable sharpening, cropping with fixed proportions etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Ta. Got Paint.net, either it didn't have some of those features I need or I couldn't find them. Will try the latest GIMP tho.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Gimpshop is a skin for GIMP that is meant to make it easier to use for those familiar with PS. Haven't used it for a while.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Paul B

• forum hero
Gimpshop is a skin for GIMP that is meant to make it easier to use for those familiar with PS. Haven't used it for a while.

I tried it fairly recently with the idea of ditching adobe completely however when simple things (like the various types of sharpening) are all plugins etc. I just gave up.

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
CS2 is a free download from Adobe, that version too old?

dave

The free cs2 download only works up to windows XP (though I've heard it's possible on w7) and macs up to I think snow leopard.

cofe

• forum hero
I'm running it on W7.

Paul B

• forum hero
The free cs2 download only works up to windows XP (though I've heard it's possible on w7) and macs up to I think snow leopard.

Just run compatibility mode under M$.

dave

Is it 32bit only under w7, maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Thanks guys, forgot to check this. Tried Gimpshop and straightaway even simple cropping required 5x as many stages as PS. I was running CS1 so will try CS2 free download, thanks!!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut

Paul B

• forum hero
CS2 is a free download from Adobe, that version too old?

I looked into this as I could do with using Illustrator and this isn't strictly legit, it's a legacy version of CS2 which they had to disable the activation servers due to a technical glitch. You're only supposed (and therefore allowed) to use the license keys to maintain usage of CS2 if you originally, legitimately purchased a copy.

I thought Adobe doing something such as this seemed a bit too good to be true!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Yeah but they published the keys so its as good as free? What's your issue with it?

Paul B

• forum hero
I don't think it's on to install software that isn't 100% legit at a place of work?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I don't think it's on to install software that isn't 100% legit at a place of work?

Why just work?   :devil-smiley:

Paul B

• forum hero
Yes, OK (quite). It was more the point that installing it at work you're making a decision that compromises somebody else (and yourself), likely without their knowledge. Plus if there are free alternatives like Inkscape (or paid if it's a genuine business expense) there's really no need.

I made a distinct choice a few years ago to change my software habits and now most of my other software is Opensource/Freeware. Adobe also ran that amazing deal on Lightroom. Hopefully that never ends up as a cloud subscription based piece of software.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :sorry: being overly pedantic (again) and do understand the difference between making a personal choice  that has come backs on yourself and those that would affect others such as employers.

B Diamond

Place on a laptop separate to having it on work pc?
Like others have said, there are now online/cloud/subscription models that i think are cheaper that purchasing a hard copy of the software.
Trial it if its for a company/business, and provide them results.
I used Jasc Paintshop pro for years before ever touching Adobe suite, if they are still going.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Place on a laptop separate to having it on work pc?
Like others have said, there are now online/cloud/subscription models that i think are cheaper that purchasing a hard copy of the software.

Surely that depends on two things...

a) How long you are going to subscribe to the cloud option.
b) How often you upgraded the license version you bought.

If b) is never then a) will eventually outweigh it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I don't use GIMP for photo processing but for those who are considering it (how is it going Fiend?) this might be useful...

Photoshop to GIMP

(NB - It appears to use the GIMPShop plugin but doesn't tell you how to install it under M$, only GNU/Linux and OSX).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal