UKBouldering.com

Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val (Read 4283 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
January 20, 2014, 11:28:27 am
Truly random question:

Does anyone have a topo for Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val? The Saint-Antonin in the Midi-Pyrenees, not far from Montauban?

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#1 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
January 20, 2014, 01:57:06 pm
Randomly, I do!
However the tourist info desk in the town centre will hire you one for 1eur per day or you can just buy it from them instead for 7 or 8 eur iirc

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#2 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
January 20, 2014, 02:45:01 pm
 :great:

Good info!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
January 29, 2014, 10:17:02 am
I found a pdf on the interwebb. Now if only the rain could stop pouring down…

mark

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 04, 2020, 08:29:25 pm

Have just booked a climbing trip family holiday to Saint Antonin in July. I climbed there 20 years ago and have the thin, basic topo that was available at the time. There has been an updated version in the decades since, but it seems this is now out of print. Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to flog?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#5 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 05, 2020, 11:16:50 am
You can get the topo in the tourist office in the town for 10 euros. I'm pretty sure they still have copies left.

The topo is not much evolved since the version you have but it covers the summer sectors of Anglars and Manjo-Carn/Face Nord well. For La Croix, the best topo is on http://climbmaps.com/ Get a user, than click your way to St Antonin on the map.

I made a topo for Couyrac on 27crags https://27crags.com/crags/couyrac/topos/sector-1-17571
and one for Super-Manjoc on https://27crags.com/crags/manjo-carn/topos/super-manjoc

mark

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 06, 2020, 12:04:56 am
Great, I'll pick up a copy when we arrive. And thanks for the pointers to the online topos. Good effort on producing those. Couyrac and La Croix look terrific. Super-Manjoc looks hard.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#7 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 06, 2020, 09:53:56 am
Great, I'll pick up a copy when we arrive. And thanks for the pointers to the online topos. Good effort on producing those. Couyrac and La Croix look terrific. Super-Manjoc looks hard.

Couyrac and La Croix more particularly are fantastic.  It's a hugely underrated area. In the summer youd be wanting to get up proper early for La Croix as it'll be very hot in the afternoon.  I wrote a piece about it on ukc: just search for it in destination articles. 

mark

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 06, 2020, 10:33:13 pm
Thanks, Toby. Good article. I'm getting excited. Looks like I need a new 80m rope. And, given I've done little but boulder for many years, some new endurance to go with the rope.

tomrainbow

• player
#9 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 07, 2020, 12:40:53 am

Couyrac and La Croix more particularly are fantastic.  It's a hugely underrated area. In the summer youd be wanting to get up proper early for La Croix as it'll be very hot in the afternoon.  I wrote a piece about it on ukc: just search for it in destination articles. 

...totally agree with Toby, I think La Croix is one of the best crags I've been to in Europe, although it gets dirty over winter so if your chosen route hasn't been climbed that season expect to find it a little 'organic'. I also really like the old school style of Roc d'Anglars, if you don't mind polish it's also very good (and very handy in hot weather). About an hour N is St Gery which is another underrated (by Brits) gem. Have fun!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#10 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 07, 2020, 07:04:45 am
Would la croix be wet in Easter? Going to stop off at St Gery but really want to climb around St Antonio too.

tomrainbow

• player
#11 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 07, 2020, 07:10:02 am
Likely to be but Couyrac/Cazals (and most of the other crags in the valley) will be dry. More than enough to go at at St Gery though and it's a really chilled venue (I would say the climbing and location are both better than Couyrac/Cazals...but not as good as La Croix)

TobyD

• forum hero
#12 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 07, 2020, 07:57:48 am
Likely to be but Couyrac/Cazals (and most of the other crags in the valley) will be dry. More than enough to go at at St Gery though and it's a really chilled venue (I would say the climbing and location are both better than Couyrac/Cazals...but not as good as La Croix)

I'd agree.  I would say September to November is optimum for La Croix. I thought Anglars was not that good,  despite looking good from a distance and having a good view! It's a bit British,  basically. 

Wood FT

• forum hero
#13 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 07, 2020, 05:48:22 pm

Cheers. Yeah St Gery is lovely, great for a van too, very welcoming.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#14 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 07, 2020, 09:52:14 pm
Anglars is very much acquired taste, and forget about onsighting there.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 08, 2020, 02:53:57 am
I'd agree.  I would say September to November is optimum for La Croix. I thought Anglars was not that good,  despite looking good from a distance and having a good view! It's a bit British,  basically.

Is St Gery similar, or does it need cooler weather (it faces south east doesn't it so assume it's pretty sunny)?

TobyD

• forum hero
#16 Re: Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val
February 08, 2020, 01:39:20 pm

Is St Gery similar, or does it need cooler weather (it faces south east doesn't it so assume it's pretty sunny)?

Not similar, all the best stuff at La Croix is extremely tufa based and very long. It's a really big cliff and would seep a lot. St Gery is much more conventional limestone with some tufa on a few sections. St Gery dried very quickly the one day I've been there. It'd be great in the spring, whereas La Croix probably wouldn't.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal