UKBouldering.com

Fluff Flinging... (Read 2774 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Fluff Flinging...
November 25, 2013, 12:48:49 pm
My Granddad was the first person to take me fishing and being a confirmed dry fly purist he inducted me into the high brow world of matching the hatch, presenting carefully constructed pieces of dead rabbit and bird on tiny hooks to the haughty browns and rainbows inhabiting the Somerset chalk streams near where he lived.

So, now that I've amassed thousands of pounds worth of coarse and sea fishing gear I appear to be coming full circle and thinking about getting some fly fishing gear... Problem is I haven't a clue about rod weights, floating versus sinking line (and line weights) and what brands are worth buying!

I know there are a few fluff flingers resident in this parish and would appreciate any info!

I expect any fly fishing I do will be on small commercials, the occasional larger reservoir and maybe for pike. I think I like the idea of dry fly fishing more that wet fly fishing (although czech nymphing has a certain ring to it no?) but am more concerned with catching fish!

Thanks in advance...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Fluff Flinging...
November 25, 2013, 03:18:49 pm
I'll post some more later, but my advice is go light

you get less tired and so your casting stays more accurate and light lines make less of a splash when your casting does go wrong

I have a stiffish 10ft 4-weight rod that I find myself using in preference to anything else - I just seem to be able to cast more easily and accurately with it. it would be useless for the big lures needed for pike, but I've felt fine landing 4lb fish with it and would be confident going bigger

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#2 Re: Fluff Flinging...
November 25, 2013, 03:38:01 pm
Glad to hear you're thinking of chucking some fluff.

I do the majority of my fly fishing at Moorhall Reservoir near Wharncliffe Side, it's quite a big water and gets a fair bit of wind blowing through. I usually use a 9ft 6'' weight 7, I can get a good distance with this set up and the wind usually doesn't bother me too much. It's quite a heavy set up but it still works perfectly well whether you're chucking out at distance into the wind or presenting a small dry on a still summers evening.

For fishing the smaller commercials I would probably use around a 9ft 6'' weight 4 or 5, but you'd be absolutely fine with the weight 6 or 7 set up.

A good tip for learning to cast, especially for distance, is to use a weight 8 line with a 7 weight rod, or a 6 weight line with a 5 weight rod, you get the idea, this helped me when I was starting out. Also, always pick a target to cast to that is above and beyond where you actually want to cast, this will keep the line up and allow the leader and fly to straighten out before hitting the water, this was one of the best tips when I was learning to cast.

Another thing would be line choice, I really think it's worth spending a few more quid and getting yourself a decent line. A floating line should suffice for most of you smaller shallow commercials, for reservoirs you might want to invest in an intermediate or sinking, depending on what you're doing.

I hope some of this helps. Once you're geared up give me a shout and we'll have to get out somewhere.

:fishing:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:52:39 pm by willackers »

AndyR

• forum hero
#3 Re: Fluff Flinging...
November 25, 2013, 09:44:48 pm
... haughty browns and rainbows inhabiting the Somerset chalk streams near where he lived.

Hate to be a geo-pedant (actually, I don't, I'm a tedious bastard that way), but there's very little chalk in Somerset - a smattering down near the Devon border, and an endless amount in Wiltshire and Dorset, but little in Somerset itself...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#4 Re: Fluff Flinging...
November 26, 2013, 08:35:28 am
Yeah I thought that might be the case but it sounded better :)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#5 Re: Fluff Flinging...
January 16, 2014, 03:15:03 pm
So I got myself an Airflo kit - I know I know, bloody rubbish etc but I had an Amazon voucher for half the money and couldn't wait any longer (you know how it is...)

Actually quite impressed with the rod and reel at least, not so much with the flys (flies?) or the line however...

Am going to buy some proper fly line and there's so much choice, I'm a little confused...

Is there any benefit in getting a weight forward line to aid my beginners casting? How much should I be looking to spend on a "decent" fly line?

Any advice around what flies I should look to buy? At present, I'm likely to be fishing put and take waters where I am led to believe lures can be very productive? However, the ultimate aim of all this is a tench on the fly and for this I suspect I'm going to need some small black floating flies (technical description)... That's what they seem to take on my local through the summer anyway....

Also, the wife found me a groupon deal for a morning's casting tuition, which I sorely need so looking forward to getting that booked in!

:fishing:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal