UKBouldering.com

climbing near Toronto (Read 1878 times)

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
climbing near Toronto
June 28, 2004, 09:28:01 am
I have the chance of a job assignment in Canada just outside Toronto and was wondering if any of the UKBoulder massive know of the good routing / bouldering areas around the local.

Do you think this would be a good place to go for a year? To be honest I'm a bit afraid of 60m long pump fests. My ropes only 25m long and comes complete with 8 quickdraws.

cheers

Andy

dave

#1 climbing near Toronto
June 28, 2004, 09:35:01 am
i think one of the main bouldering places in ontario is niagara glen, which is like a click downstream from the falls.

its like an hour from toronto i think. basically a large wood by the river littered with hundreds of limestone (yes andy, your favourite LIMESTONE) boulders. i went there once on holiday and only climbed at one little spot with no mat but though it was ace. see photos below.

the website for info is http://www.glenbouldering.com/
although i don't now how recently its been updated.

I can think of a lot worse places to live than toronto - i think its a decent city though Kim will dispute that. I think theres more climbing around ontario and also quebec i think. If you do go there then go and see some Maple Leafs games you jammy git.

Dolly

• forum hero
#2 climbing near Toronto
June 30, 2004, 09:40:40 pm
I did some routes years ago at a place called Rattlesnake point. Its somewhere west of the city, quite a long limestone escarpment, so I imagine there's a lot of it, even though I only climbed on a bit.

http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/rattle.html
is an intro - but you could get more with a bit of searching.

Toronto is a great city, but it gets proper proper cold in the winter - you'll have to ski or do something else as you waont be able to climb outside for at least 4 months of the year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal