UKBouldering.com

Powered Out (Read 15517 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#25 Re: Powered Out
January 06, 2014, 05:49:44 pm
I also think you are not resting effectively between sessions. I never used to train more than 4 days a week, usually 3. I think you're training would be more efficient if you did less. Rest your way to 8a I say!   (there's nothing wrong with having a couple of weeks of slight overtraining, as long as it's followed by a chilled out week. During the heavy training period, don't expect to climb well!)
:agree: Great Advice!

flyguy

• addict
#26 Re: Powered Out
January 06, 2014, 07:35:05 pm
Good post that, fultonious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#27 Re: Powered Out
January 06, 2014, 07:45:34 pm
BTW - I consider most Aerocap rest/recovery work. Based on Binney's L1-L5, I do almost all of my aerocap at L1 - i.e. no pump at all.... So in the above suggested workout days,

REST -Day 1 rest
WORKOUT - Day 2 max hangs in AM or at lunch, then 30 min Aerocap in evening
RECOVERY - Day 3 Aerocap starting at 30 and building up each week to 60+by the end of 8 weeks
WORKOUT - Day 4 Wall session / ancap(on the long end of it though 2-4min sets with good rest)
RECOVERY - Day 5 Aerocap 30-45min
WORKOUT / REST Day 6-7 Weekend boulder outside have fun

There's 2 full rest days, 2 recovery days, and 3 "workout" days.  The key is making sure your AeroCap is EASY.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#28 Re: Powered Out
January 07, 2014, 09:47:51 am
Overall I think you can't decide whether you want volume or quality in the session. You're probably kind of thinking of it as volume but then getting bored / keen to get some better ticks / wanting to be more challenged and changing horses mid-stream.

This is true, I start off thinking "I'll get some easy routes in and some volume" then a few routes in I'm eyeing up the long roof 6c+... I find it hard to have "easier" sessions.

If you want to combine harder climbing and volume in one session, it makes more sense to do a route progression like: 5+, 6a, 6b, 6b+, 6c, 6c+ (perhaps just failing), 6b+, 6b, 6b, 6b, 6a+, 6a [ , … ].  That way you're hitting the hardest routes at 5th and 6th, well-warmed up but hopefully not tired, and then working down through 6 (or many more if possible) easier routes as you're getting tired.

This is a good idea and I will definitely try it out. I like having a go on something harder, but my problem usually is I'll do a load of routes up to say failure on a 6c+ and then not do anymore thinking, "I'm too tired now". Instead, I should drop the grade in a pyramid style as you suggest or as low as it takes to carry on with the volume.

Some good tips, thanks!

If your only goal is to increase the capillarization in the arms, then no it doesn't matter.  If you are aiming to be a better climber, then yes it matters.  Doing Aerocap on a wall means you're effectively increasing your total climbing volume by a huge amount.  This will go a LONG way towards improving flow and comfort in the vertical terrain. 

I can get one aerocap session in at the wall a week then the others will be on the fingerboard, to avoid boredom I'll do the longer sessions at the wall and the shorter ones at home.

My old typical routes session (when I was redpointing 7b+) would consist of: 5+, 6a, 6a+, 6b, 6c+/7a, 7a, then either a short rest and another 7a/+ or drop the grade to 6b and do some volume.  I would focus on moving fast but efficiently, not over-gripping, improve footwork.

Later, when I was redpointing 7c+/8a I would still do similar routes sessions but just with the grades bumped up a bit.  - I have never climbed harder than 7b+ indoors, so don't worry too much if your indoors grades are a bit lower than outdoors.

This is interesting, I thought as a 7b+ redpointer I should be doing way more and way harder routes than I am currently at the wall. i.e multiple 7a/+'s.

Are you mainly redpointing or onsighting in these sessions?

Also, are you climbing with 1 other person or a group of 3?  I used to find that If I climbed in a 2 I'd need an extra 5 minutes rest every 3rd route or so; conversely, when climbing in group of 3 I felt it was the perfect amount of rest.

On-sighting or repeating routes, I never redpoint indoors. If I fall off usually on the 6c+ 9th route in... I may have another go but I'm usually too tired.

Usually climb in a 2 but sometimes a 3. I find the sessions in a 3 are more productive as you say you get a better rest. Something to consider, when I'm in a 2 the only rest I have is when belaying my partner. Seems daft when I have 4 hours at the wall to use...

I also think you are not resting effectively between sessions. I never used to train more than 4 days a week, usually 3. I think you're training would be more efficient if you did less. Rest your way to 8a I say!  (there's nothing wrong with having a couple of weeks of slight overtraining, as long as it's followed by a chilled out week. During the heavy training period, don't expect to climb well!)

This is something I have a big problem with. I find it very difficult to rest and not train. It's bizarre, as I know people have to motivate themselves to train but I'm the complete opposite, I have to try and stop myself sometimes.

Great advice, thanks!

BTW - I consider most Aerocap rest/recovery work. Based on Binney's L1-L5, I do almost all of my aerocap at L1 - i.e. no pump at all.... So in the above suggested workout days,

REST -Day 1 rest
WORKOUT - Day 2 max hangs in AM or at lunch, then 30 min Aerocap in evening
RECOVERY - Day 3 Aerocap starting at 30 and building up each week to 60+by the end of 8 weeks
WORKOUT - Day 4 Wall session / ancap(on the long end of it though 2-4min sets with good rest)
RECOVERY - Day 5 Aerocap 30-45min
WORKOUT / REST Day 6-7 Weekend boulder outside have fun

There's 2 full rest days, 2 recovery days, and 3 "workout" days.  The key is making sure your AeroCap is EASY.

This is great, thanks Sasquatch! I'll try and stick more to something like this although I can't keep it exact (Sometimes I get an extra evening at the wall, sometimes I don't make it out on weekends etc.)

It'll be good to view the Aerocap as recovery as you put it. Mentally, I'll see this as a positive instead of just knackering myself further.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:04:07 am by Luke Owens »

abarro81

• forum hero
#29 Re: Powered Out
January 07, 2014, 10:09:26 am
I thought as a 7b+ redpointer I should be doing way more and way harder routes than I am currently at the wall. i.e multiple 7a/+'s.

On-sighting or repeating routes, I never redpoint indoors.

What's you max outdoor onsight? What about on a style comparable to indoors (short, steep PE probably on quite pinchy holds)? What about on that style, 3rd or 4th day on after climbing 8 other routes that day... Max RP probably isn't that useful when we're talking about what grade you could/'should' expect to be onsighting indoors.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#30 Re: Powered Out
January 07, 2014, 10:26:41 am
I thought as a 7b+ redpointer I should be doing way more and way harder routes than I am currently at the wall. i.e multiple 7a/+'s.

On-sighting or repeating routes, I never redpoint indoors.

What's you max outdoor onsight? What about on a style comparable to indoors (short, steep PE probably on quite pinchy holds)? What about on that style, 3rd or 4th day on after climbing 8 other routes that day... Max RP probably isn't that useful when we're talking about what grade you could/'should' expect to be onsighting indoors.

Max outdoor onsight is 6c+, i'm pretty good at route reading but as soon as I have to hang about a bit longer than I would on a redpoint i'm off!

I've never climbed what you could class as a steep route outdoors. Only vertical routes with the odd buldge or overlap.

The thought of attempting something steep, outdoors, 3rd or 4th day on after 8 routes previously put's things into perspective...!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#31 Re: Powered Out
January 07, 2014, 04:41:59 pm
Oh yeah, its takes a bit of time to build up to the 30min aerocap and have it be recovery.  Start off with 3x5min or such with NO PUMP, then build up each rep by about a minute or so for a few weeks til you're at 3x10, with only a bit of rest in between like 30-60seconds. 

Much like fultonius mentioned, don't get too far ahead of yourself.  As a reference, I would guess I'm in the 8b redpoint range, and when I get on the wall I generally do 12-15 routes mostly in the 7b-7c range and mostly onsight, not ever really red pointing.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#32 Re: Powered Out
January 07, 2014, 08:24:47 pm
Also "for reference" - When I got up to redpointing 7c+/8a I could usually onsight 7a+ and sometimes 7b indoors. Similar outdoors. My "indoor redpoint" grade has always lagged my outdoors by around 3 French grades (e.g. 7b+ indoors/8a outdoors) but I also rarely "redpointed" indoors.

I used to like to mix things up once in a while by doing sets of 3 (needs a keen partner) so, after warm up I would do things like: up 7a, down 6a, up 6c+. 3 "sets" would usually have me fairly fried. I found these useful when trying to break into a new grade as you get much better training value than just failing on something hard.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#33 Re: Powered Out
January 10, 2014, 12:22:34 am
If you want to combine harder climbing and volume in one session, it makes more sense to do a route progression like: 5+, 6a, 6b, 6b+, 6c, 6c+ (perhaps just failing), 6b+, 6b, 6b, 6b, 6a+, 6a [ , … ].  That way you're hitting the hardest routes at 5th and 6th, well-warmed up but hopefully not tired, and then working down through 6 (or many more if possible) easier routes as you're getting tired.

Ok, I tried this progression of routes out this evening. To say the least I had the best wall session I've ever had. Something just clicked and I felt like I had bags of stamina. I spent 4 hours 30 mins at the wall and managed 20 routes:

5, 5+, 6a, 6a, 6a+, 6b, 6b+, 6b+, 6c+, 6c+
6c+, 6c+, 6c+, 6c+, 6b+, 6b+, 6b, 6a, 5+, 5+

I really can't believe I actually managed to do it. I did the the first 6 as 2's staying tied on. Then the other 14 I rested only to belay my mate.

The roof 6c+ I previously mentioned I couldn't do and felt powered out beyond belief on I actually did 5 times in a row (again resting to belay my mate in between goes) Last week I could only get half way up it...!

By the end of the session I had a mega deep pump I'd never had before, I didn't get pumped on the 6c+ roof at all. Didn't feel powered out or fall off on any of the 20 routes. I'm really happy but also really confused as to what has resulted in a great session, I'm putting it down to a better warm up but I wouldn't of thought that would make such a massive difference.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#34 Re: Powered Out
January 10, 2014, 06:44:34 am
Did you eat more that day??

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#35 Re: Powered Out
January 10, 2014, 08:08:24 am
Did you eat more that day??

Nope! Infact I ate slightly less, I was running late in the morning so I only had a protien shake for breakfast instead of my usual protien shake + cereal/porridge. Everything else was the same, I also had a very late night the night before, it's left me very confused as to what is different from last week!

siderunner

• regular
  • more of a route-climber than boulderer, but hey
#36 Re: Powered Out
January 10, 2014, 08:39:11 am
Great session, nice one!

Rest days? Better food or sleep? Better sequences?

Or possibly just being "in the zone" climbing faster, more positively, etc? I often climb best when I have fewer expectations of myself which I put down to this aspect.

But you're probably just turning into a beast with all that training ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#37 Re: Powered Out
January 10, 2014, 03:59:54 pm
If I had to guess, i'd say you finally recovered from your overload about 2 weeks ago.  IIRC, there was a bit of discussion about you doing too high of a workload and needing to back it down around x-mas.  You seemed to take this to heart and dropped your workload, and increased your rest.  After some time, your body finally was able to fully supercompensate for all of the training load you had put it through. 

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#38 Re: Powered Out
January 10, 2014, 04:32:09 pm
Sounds logical.

skelf

• regular
#39 Re: Powered Out
January 10, 2014, 07:15:57 pm
Don't underestimate the power of a proper warm up. Many days climbing have been ruined by getting on too hard a route too early and battling on through the flash pump.  Looks to me like you've taken a couple of days rest and then had a proper slow warmup, oldest trick in the book for a goods days sport !  :great:

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#40 Re: Powered Out
January 11, 2014, 11:42:46 pm
If I had to guess, i'd say you finally recovered from your overload about 2 weeks ago.  IIRC, there was a bit of discussion about you doing too high of a workload and needing to back it down around x-mas.  You seemed to take this to heart and dropped your workload, and increased your rest.  After some time, your body finally was able to fully supercompensate for all of the training load you had put it through.

I think this make sense Sasquatch, thanks! I did rest more over x-mas, felt really good since!

Don't underestimate the power of a proper warm up. Many days climbing have been ruined by getting on too hard a route too early and battling on through the flash pump.  Looks to me like you've taken a couple of days rest and then had a proper slow warmup, oldest trick in the book for a goods days sport !  :great:

I'll make sure I always warm up properly now, made the world of difference!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal