UKBouldering.com

Kos ? (Read 8102 times)

i.munro

• junky
Kos ?
September 19, 2007, 02:33:08 pm
Just heard there's some bouldering on Kos from a guy who'd come back from Kalymnos.
Anybody been? Any good?

Thanks

Ian

granticus

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Kos ?
September 27, 2007, 05:20:33 pm
The place you are seeking is a huge boulder field close to Kardemena on the island of Kos.  Some German folk have developed stuff there and painted the most unsubtle red arrows I've seen in a bouldering area all over the shop!  However the boulders are superb, some are very big and have toproping bolts in place.  A piccy of an arete here;>

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=55414

The rock is granite and of very good quality.. Enough entertainment for a week or more, plenty of unmarked lines and plenty of highball action to go at!  I had to get up very early to avoid the heat in the day time which made things greasy and had evening sessions, the rock stays warm well into the night if it's had the sun on it.
Kardemena itself is a super tacky holiday resort, if your into Ouzo, clubbing and bouldering you might consider it heaven.  You'll need to hire a car and head north along the coast to get to the boulders or be prepared for a hike.

i.munro

• junky
#2 Re: Kos ?
September 27, 2007, 07:58:12 pm
The place you are seeking is a huge boulder field close to Kardemena on the island of Kos. 

Thanks. appreciate the info. So is there low-mid  ball stuff as well?
( I am like the route 'too old to be bold')

I was thinking of going in winter which would probably solve both the clubbing & heat issues.

Ian

granticus

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Kos ?
October 04, 2007, 03:45:04 pm
All sizes of boulder are available and lots of easy peasy stuff, a bit of highball is good for the soul thought!  Don't cross the boundary fence higher up the mountain side, there is regularly people hunting with shotguns this up there!!

Greg C

• forum hero
#4 Re: Kos ?
October 26, 2007, 04:10:15 pm
Just heard there's some bouldering on Kos from a guy who'd come back from Kalymnos.
Anybody been? Any good?

Thanks

Ian

They are called the Hypocrites boulders and they're in this guide - http://bleau.info/shop/olympicblocs.html. Beta Climbing Designs import it (well they did). I have a copy if you're struggling, suppose I could scan the Kos section if you're desperate.

PatKingDebtCollection

• Yo ass is mine, sweet thang
  • idle idol
#5 Re: Kos ?
October 26, 2007, 06:27:14 pm
All sizes of boulder are available and lots of easy peasy stuff
easy peasy enough for beginers who might not want a full on bouldering holiday? the rock looks clean. is it chossy at all?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6 Re: Kos ?
October 26, 2007, 06:42:54 pm
Kardemena itself is a super tacky holiday resort, if your into Ouzo, clubbing and bouldering you might consider it heaven.  You'll need to hire a car and head north along the coast to get to the boulders or be prepared for a hike.

i went there for a night once. it was like a cross beteen maidstone, san antonio and hades. the only clubbing i can recommend is a clubbing over the head which will hopefully ensure permanent brain damage and hence complete amnesia concerning your visit there in the first place...

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

i.munro

• junky
#8 Re: Kos ?
October 27, 2007, 12:34:57 am

They are called the Hypocrites boulders and they're in this guide - http://bleau.info/shop/olympicblocs.html. Beta Climbing Designs import it (well they did). I have a copy if you're struggling, suppose I could scan the Kos section if you're desperate.

Thanks. Might take you up on that if I decide to go. & can't get hold of it elsewhere.

Ian

stelios_kos

• regular
  • CLIMB GREECE
#9 Re: Kos ?
May 29, 2008, 10:34:50 am
Hi there,
 I am from Greece and myself and a German friend developed the area some years ago. The quality of the rock is fantastic(you dont even need a brush) and the probs wonderful. you can find a yellow parquare for beginners and also probs up to 8a. there is a very good guidebook(Olympic blocks) in the site: www.gebro-verlag.de  The best season though is winter. 

granticus

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Kos ?
May 29, 2008, 12:45:32 pm
Ah haa! It is your German friend that found a different use for his brush...
It is a shame that the initial developers felt the need to daub the problems with huge painted red arrows and spots.  :'(  I don't think it was necessary to leave their mark in this way, photo topos work much better, or if people have to paint on boulders small and subtle is the way forward.

There is still loads of potential for new problems and short routes in this area.  It is true the rock is very clean fine grained granite of the highest quality.  I enjoyed it a lot and climbed in solitude for the whole week.

rich d

• forum hero
#11 Re: Kos ?
January 03, 2014, 09:09:11 am
Anybody been? Any good?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Greg, looks like I might be going to KOS, any chance you'd be able to scan a copy of the guide across to me? As it's part of a family holiday it will only be for a potter on a day so can't really justify the guide.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal