UKBouldering.com

license teachers to raise standards (Read 3289 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 11:37:30 am
Hey-ho, maybe I should stop reading the news, it's just annoying.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/11/labour-license-teachers-raise-standards

Hunt insisted that his plans would raise the standing of the teaching profession. He said:
"This is about growing the profession. This is about believing that teachers have this enormous importance. Just like lawyers and doctors, they should have the same professional standing which means relicensing themselves, which means continual professional development, which means being the best possible they can be."

Gibberish. Will this 'fix' things? Do other professions have to re-license as well as undergo the current termly performance management with annual review?

Anyway CPD currently exists.

So do teacher shortfalls, budget shortfalls, fragmented provision, £4bn down the drain on free schools, incoherent strategy in the curriculum (my subject MFL, doesn't actually have ANY curriculum this year for example as the National Curriculum has been disapplied and nothing organised to replace it till September at the earliest), endless weekly change and disruption ad nauseam.

But if Hunt wants to sound ''tough'', well that'll learn em! Idiot.

The problem lies not with the teachers dear Brutus, but with yourselves.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1 Re: license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 12:05:51 pm
I think Jeremy Hunt could possibly be one of the worst, most damaging politicians in recent history. It's beyond belief really.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#2 Re: license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 12:10:38 pm
Well I might agree with you, though we have an embarrassment of riches there.  ;D

Just to clarify, Tristram Hunt is Shadow Education Spokesman, historian and Labour front bencher, allegedly.

I can see how you'd get them confused with policy initiatives like this though. It's just populist politics, much easier to fix problems which don't exist than ones that do.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#3 Re: license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 12:17:01 pm
 :oops: Just shows what I know... Should have read the link really.  :chair:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 12:21:23 pm
It's just populist politics, much easier to fix problems which don't exist than ones that do.

:agree: Trying to get some column inches and big up the labour partys profile (although the Cuntservitives seem to be doing a good job of that for them already).

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5 Re: license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 12:22:17 pm
Fultonius ... Ha-ha, that happens  :) 

My point is that Hunt (T) is just conceding that the political debate has been defined by the right and trying to operate there instead of actually trying to make good policy.

Unless of course you regard Labour as the right in which case he's just doing his job.  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 12:40:04 pm
Theres a difference between Labour and Cuntservatives these days?  :blink:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#7 Re: license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 12:52:19 pm
He who pays the piper... can demand the same tune.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#8 Re: license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 03:48:25 pm
Really bad news as it won't achieve much and will be very expensive and beaurocratic and waste time and energy for the large majority of good teachers and be yet another straw on the camels back for those who care about real quality.

Bad teachers can only survive these days in schools where management and governance have failed and they then wont be the priority for what needs to be changed.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#9 Re: license teachers to raise standards
January 11, 2014, 05:59:22 pm
Ah for fox sake. More people who don't know what they're talking about saying what they'd do if someone gave them the chance. I bet he hasn't worked out how much it'd cost for teachers to be covered by supply teachers whilst they jump through these bureaucratic shit-hoops.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal