UKBouldering.com

Sandstone hold glue protection/support... (Read 2279 times)

Beastly Squirrel

• player
  • a squirrel
Sandstone hold glue protection/support...
December 30, 2013, 10:33:36 pm
How would I go about 'glue protecting' a sandstone edge/flake in a roof?
It hasn't fallen off or broken off (yet!) but many people (including me) are scared it will snap off and potentially ruin the boulder problem.  :sick:
Is there any special type of glue I should use and limits to the amount I need to apply?
Will try and get a photo up if that helps.
Any help or advice would be appreciated...
Cheers
James

tomtom

• forum hero
How big is the flake James?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
What you can do in the way of stopping a breakage depends on a lot of factors. If there is a big deep clean sided crack behind a flake then you may be able to do something useful. In most other cases a preventative re-enforcement achieve much. If the hold is definitely going to break off anyway then technically by far the most effective thing to do, which will also give the neatest finish, is to carefully remove it, clean it up and stick back on with something like epoxy acrylate resin (stuff used to glue bolts in with). Whether this is appropriate/ethical at any given crag is an entirely different question. If you were to do this then consider hardening the two surfaces to be glued with low viscosity superglue first and before the resin sets throw some nearby sand and mud on it and press/rub in to give a decent visual/tactile match to the rock.

tomtom

• forum hero
If it's toughening up a flake so it doesn't erode off (rather than break off) then superglue works well and leaves next to no signs (on Cheshire SS at least).

Duma

• forum hero
....In most other cases a preventative re-enforcement achieve much...

?

missing a "won't"?

Doylo

• forum hero
Like Bonjoy says it's pretty hard to reinforce it unless you can get a decent amount of resin behind the hold.  Taking it off is a gamble but hard to assess without seeing it. 

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
....In most other cases a preventative re-enforcement achieve much...

?

missing a "won't"?
Oops yes. Tah.

bananafingers

Hi James,

I dont think taking the hold off is going to be an option (im assuming we are talking huntsham), i reckon the rock is too fragile and itll just disintegrate. Its a tricky one because ive seen holds here explode into a pile of dust even after gluing (look under the doss roof and there are remnants of resin but no holds). Can you even get to anywhere useful to apply the resin? As i remember it looks solid but sounds hollow a bit further back, could be wrong there its been a while since ive been up.

andy popp

• forum hero
I'm assuming I know which hold you mean as well and am certain superglue won't be any use, its really only any good for stabilising surfaces - at which it works remarkably well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal