UKBouldering.com

Training hypertrophy with campus? (Read 23480 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#25 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 30, 2013, 10:38:22 pm
Makes sense that fast and slow fibres would have different predispositions to aerobic vs anaerobic work, but I didn't realise that hypertrophy stimulated uneven production of them.
This is a pretty good point.  Fast and slow twitch muscle fiber undergo hypertrophy under different conditions. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#26 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 30, 2013, 10:43:25 pm
I wouldn't bother. It's a rough target, not something to get fussy about.

But with weights its 'relatively' straightforward to work out your 1RM and then work back from that to get the intensity right.

The way I've done repeaters in the past is generally one set on a number of different grip types. Whereas if we're talking about for example the crimps, I'm going to find a set of repeaters tricky at the end of the 'block' of different grip types (with two arms) but that is far from what I'd imagine my 1RM is on such a hold?

Setting the intensity on things like Ancap or longer circuits is always really damn tricky.

I know, I know, too bogged down...  :worms:

BiggaG

#27 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 10:19:50 am
1. Matching increase in capillarity (i,e. the % capillarity of the muscle bed will decrease)

Wouldn't an increaesd capillary bed volume in aerobic exercise be required to increase the efficiency of the muscle in terms of oxgen supply or is there an increase in myoglobulin during aerobic exercise?

2. Total volume of mitochondria will not increase and neither will the mitochondrial enzymes.

I assume that the volume of mitochondria will not increase as we are talking about hypertrophy - an increase in cell size?

I also read somewhere that muscle cells have limited capacity for hypertrophy and instead have a higher tendency to undergo hyperplasia which would result in more mitochondria due the proliferation of cells.

BiggaG

#28 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 10:40:32 am
I have a few more questions (sorry!):

Because were talking about hypertrophy here, were not referring to the formation of new muscle fibres but the increase in cell size. So, is this increase in cell size due to an increase in myosin/actin which would result in more cross-bridgining and therefore increase contractile strength? Or are we actually referring to the formation of new muscle fibres which would then be hyperplasia?

Sorry, i am confused  :shrug:

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#29 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 12:17:13 pm
There are a some interesting debates out there about hypertrophy vs hyperplasia in athletes particularly studies looking at fibre density in bodybuilders vs joe average.

http://becomewarriorstrong.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/hyperplasia-vs-hypertrophy/

What I'm not sure about is whether specific hypertrophy training will make for a better climber and also that the gains seen from campusing or repeaters as described are really related to hypertrophy or more central / peripheral nervous system neuro muscular adaptation with the side effect of getting improved muscle tone along the way? Clearly some muscle shape and size changes occur but training specifically for muscle size gains I'm not sure?  :shrug:

BiggaG

#30 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 12:43:21 pm
I suppose it could be more of a neurological gain through increased innervation of muscle tissue due to more synatpic connections or increased release of Ca2+ from the sacroplasmic recticulum. Or on the other hand, it could be through changes in synatic strength in the basal ganglia/cerrebellum which could be indicative of improved motor skills for that particular task i.e. campussing.

Back to mitochondrial density, i know from my field of neuroscience that mitochondria are motile in synapses and are trafficked to pre-synapses during periods of high stimulation. I wonder if this is the case in terms of muscle physiology and during periods of duress?

Boredboy

• menacing presence
#31 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 01:42:12 pm
It's a bit beyond my understanding, but I'd imagine if mitochondria a mobile units of energy it would make sense to have more of them where they're needed most?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#32 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 02:22:03 pm
I don't need a weatherman to tell me which way the wind blows.
There's a lot of fancy words coming out here when all people need to know is campussing or finger boarding will not give you big forearms

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 04:52:07 pm
Big forearms make you climb better though don't they? We can take that as a fact at least.

Doylo

• forum hero
#34 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 04:58:47 pm
There's a lot of fancy words coming out here when all people need to know is campussing or finger boarding will not give you big forearms

Does pumping ass make your dick bigger conka?

tomtom

• forum hero
#35 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 05:04:51 pm
:D great quote Dylo

a dense loner

• forum hero
#36 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
December 31, 2013, 07:10:50 pm
Does pumping ass make your dick bigger conka?

Not to my knowledge but it makes it look bigger, which sometimes is all you need

cuboard

• regular
#37 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 01, 2014, 12:20:24 pm
I've obviously got the answer cos my forearms are massive.....payment via paypal please

ianv

• forum abuser
#38 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 01, 2014, 04:20:08 pm
I've obviously got the answer cos my forearms are massive

The answer is: 

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#39 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 01, 2014, 07:51:41 pm
why would you want big forearms?
I've got big forearms and they're fucking useless.
Canoeing, thats what you want to do. Everyday as well

fried

• forum hero
#40 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 01, 2014, 07:56:42 pm
Shirley, big forearms are good for climbing.

mark s

• junky
#41 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 01, 2014, 08:52:23 pm

the only reply this thread needs

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#42 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 02, 2014, 10:00:53 am
As others have said, I don't understand why you want to train hypertophy.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#43 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 02, 2014, 06:13:55 pm
As others have said, I don't understand why you want to train hypertophy.
Bigger muscles, all other things being equal, are stronger muscles?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#44 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 02, 2014, 06:57:28 pm
Yes, I can understanda that. But why would a climber target hypertrophy with the possible spinoff in strength, rather than target strength with a possible spinoff in size?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#45 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 02, 2014, 07:04:13 pm
timing and efficiency.  Classic strength training engages in hypertrphy to build muscle size, then changes focus to max strength to adapt that newly built muscle. 

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#46 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 02, 2014, 07:25:20 pm
 :lets_do_it_wild:I seriously doubt that any climber would take that approach. It surely works with other disciplines, but forearms hypertrophy and climbing grades do not relate.
I think that any time spent training for forearms hypertrophy would be better spent training finger strength over different prehensions.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:41:25 pm by Nibile »

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#47 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 02, 2014, 07:43:24 pm
I generally agree that there are better means of improving for 99% of people.  I do repeaters for short stints of strength endurance rather than hypertrophy, and even then only rarely.  I never campus for hypertrophy, I do it only rarely to increase contact strength and explosive pull strength. 

I seriously doubt that any climber would take that approach. It surely works with other disciplines, but forearms hypertrophy and climbing grades do not relate.
Not so, the concept of hypertrophy is widely "used" by climbers and trainers and it's good to understand what it is and why you'd use it.  Whether they should be doing it is rarely ever asked or understood by many.  The question for this topic was:
I'm planning a hypertrophy phase and was wondering if it was possible to train forarm hypertrophy on a campus board?
high intensity campus ladder w. feet  with 1 min reps? other possibilities?
I know repeaters on a hangboard is good tool for hypertrophy, but i also know ill get bored with this compared to done some type of exercises on a campus board
So to answer the main question - yes. 

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#48 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 02, 2014, 08:04:57 pm
I personally do not want "bigger" forearms either, but I believe hypertrophy does work for climbing. What you are discussing does not appear to be hypertrophy in my eyes.
One of the biggest advocates of hypertrophic training is Magnus Midtbo.
I remember he did an interesting interview a while back...here it is http://rockclimbinguk.co.uk/magnus-midtbo-on-climbing-training/ .
This is obviously something that works for him and may not work for you in the same way, but the principle is right. Put the muscle on...traing specifically and then the relevant mass will remain.
But, as Tom said - aerobic training and an increase in CV will be necessary if you want to avoid heavy useless arms!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#49 Re: Training hypertrophy with campus?
January 02, 2014, 10:59:05 pm
But, as Tom said - aerobic training and an increase in CV will be necessary if you want to avoid heavy useless arms!

He didn't say that - especially the CV bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal