UKBouldering.com

Wadi Rum (Read 1542 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Wadi Rum
December 28, 2013, 08:59:43 pm
Did a search, couldn't find what I was looking for so here it goes:

I'm thinking of going to Wadi Rum for a week in March. Looking forward to long routes on slightly crumbly rock. Going with my better half so we are probably not looking to do anything hard and sustained, at least not on adventurous terrain. (That has ended in tears before...)

Recommendations? Thoughts?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Wadi Rum
December 28, 2013, 10:01:36 pm
Sounds like an excellent idea. Have you seen this thread? The climbing is good, the desert scenery is awe-inspiring. Try to get away from the village itself if you can, it's a pretty scruffy and fly-blown spot.

The rock seemed pretty good on the (popular classic) routes we did. What counts as hard for you/your other half? There is a fairly high adventure factor and potential for getting lost and/or benighted seemed reasonably good on the routes with long and complex descents. Not all are like this though and on some you can simply rappel back down the climb.

Rock and camel

Eye of Allah

IO2 on The Beauty

Route finding is not always an issue (Merlin's Wand).

Burdah

Some fool on Burdah Arch

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#2 Re: Wadi Rum
December 29, 2013, 09:27:28 am
Thanks Duncan!

I can usually onsight up to 5.11 in most styles and rock types if there is at least some gear.

The better half is not so confident on adventurous terrain any more. She might be looking to lead up to 5.10 on face climbing pitches, and maybe slightly less on the weird stuff (wide cracks or other weird features). She will be able to follow what I can lead but will not like getting dragged up something too hard.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal