UKBouldering.com

Aims for 2014 (Read 87388 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#225 Re: Aims for 2014
December 09, 2014, 05:23:19 pm
Where are Fluide and Bird flu? Can't look things up without YG...

Good to meet you Will, sorry about the squawker!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#226 Re: Aims for 2014
December 09, 2014, 05:52:08 pm
Fluide is Brimham outlying and Bird Flu is Hen Stones.

Schnell

• menacing presence
#227 Re: Aims for 2014
December 09, 2014, 08:31:52 pm
I didn't post my aims at the beginning of the year (in fact I probably hadn't posted anything on the forum at that point).

If I had they would have been fairly straightforward:
7B: tick tick fooking tick
Remain injury free: after a good 2013 injury-wise 2014 was disastrous: one a2 pulley strain, a1 rupture, lumbrical tear and collateral ligament damage plus other minor aches and pains. I've had two injury free months in 2014. A physio recently concluded that my dreadful shoulder stability is probably the main factor contributing to this litany so I'm working on that.
Do well in MSc and get a proper job or phd funding: first of the two done and some prospects for the second.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#228 Re: Aims for 2014
December 10, 2014, 02:02:12 am
  • Become a solid 7A/B climber (method: Try harder in the gym , stop being a puss)
Climbed outside too much, became weak!
  • Become a solid 7a/b climber (method: mileage -- get  better at arranging belays and trips)
Success on all but one count. Got fairly solid on 7as and 7a+s , currently knocking them down in 2 to 4 attempts. However have yet to tick a 7b.
  • One arm pullup
nope. but it seems irrelevant for route climbing at the 7th grade.
  • Two chicks at the same time
might have to start looking into lucid dreaming

Pretty crap ticks but I'm pretty satisfied with my improvement.

A year ago I was flailing on 6c+ and even 6cs could give me trouble, had a shit lead head, tweaky fingers and couldnt climb slab to save my life.
This year I'm fairly solid on 7a/+ and am 100% injury free. life is good.

fried

• forum hero
#229 Re: Aims for 2014
December 10, 2014, 05:29:54 pm
I might get a session in next week, but the it looks grim outside at the moment.

1. As always try not to get injured. Nope, twisted knee, finger tendon, a few other niggles, managed to get back to my 2013 level in the autumn of this year.

2. Good few long weekends camping in Font in the spring. (If winter doesn't just turn into summer like 2013). Only one, injured my back, didn't leave the camp site.

3. Still plenty of places I've never visited to tick off in Font. Gorge du houx, Cuvier reconaissance, les mammouths etc etc. I've got really conservative this year, probably having less time available. I used to enjoy wandering around in bushes looking for some bit of rock that has long since disappeared under moss, now I like to just get climbing.

4. Grades wise any 6 in Font, 6C Indoors. First 2 6As ouside, very happy but more a psycological barrier that's given me a bit of confidence. Indoors has been a bit of a disaster; more good weekends means I've been out more since the summer, can't complain about that. My wall seems to fall into the trap of making all 6As flashable but 6B not even getoffthefloorable.

5. Highly optimistic week in the Peak on May, missus has already said 'no', we'll see! She said 'no', 'no' it was. Paris is expensive.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#230 Re: Aims for 2014
December 14, 2014, 06:16:25 pm
Climb outside more than once a month.
Tick, went positively mad in September...
Climb an established boulder that's harder than 7A.
Nope. got sucked into the new again, no repeating this year..
Climb an established sport route that's harder than 7a.
Nope. 3 sport routes done this year, 2 6a and one multi pitch 6c
Climb more Trad routes than sport
Tick. climbed at least 10
Climb someone else's adventure route, preferably George Smith's.
Nope. All adventure routes were new ones..
Resist the lure of trying new routes.
Nope. Once an addict....
Reduce feeding the rat to a few new boulders, but climb more established ones than new.
Nope. I refer to the previous statment
Maybe allow the odd newbie highball....http://hoseyb.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/giveaway-project-of-month-july.html
Not Really. All attempts are currently works in progress

Have Fun!

So on paper only 2 ticks out of 8. But I've had a lot of fun and Onsighted my 1st E5 (abet a new one) so Sucess! :2thumbsup:

jakk

• regular
#231 Re: Aims for 2014
December 21, 2014, 05:42:21 pm
  • Climb 8A+ Not this year, but also didn't have as much opportunity as I'd hoped, done some hard feeling stuff indoors though and think I could have been capable of it
  • consolidate 8A. Only 2 from Rocklands but both under an hour and not feeling near max power, plus with some more indoors at the grade I'm pretty happy with this
  • valiantly attempt an 8B Tried The Vice a bit, did the moves on the first day although after an hour and a bit of falling off armed response, went back a second time and didn't do as well and ultimately left it for another year. Felt good to try hard though and the only time on the trip I think I really did
  • finish of some nemeses (i.e. don't fall off the top of berezina again) not a good year for this one, pretty sure the only place I went I'd been to before was stanage and only did new stuff there. Still, no font, no MW, just means more for next year
  • Make it to Magic Wood. Nope, other trips used all the money, 4 weeks next summer though is the plan :)
  • Go somewhere new. Rocklands and Kalymnos, pleased with those 2, wonderful places
  • one armer on little crimp on beastmaker Aww yeah, tried for a laugh after a comp and a surprise board 8a and found it reasonably easy. cool to see progresson
  • get flexibility back! meh...hard to tell progress, slightly better but still not what I want, lost some stretching discipline mid-year so will try harder next year
  • at least a reasonable 2.1 for the year. Happy with that one

End of the year for me now but its been a good one climbing wise, didn't get to try the things I wanted to but feel way stronger than even this time last year and the summer was an enormous step forward from last year. 2 weeks of rest now and roll on the new year!

remus

• forum hero
#232 Re: Aims for 2014
December 21, 2014, 08:39:33 pm
Short term
Get the super secret project done - Really happy to get this done. No idea how hard it is/was but the longest and most fulfilling project I've ever completed.
Maintain current level while moving to new house and starting new job - Think I just about scraped this one. Good spring, lost a fair bit of form over summer due to lack of real aims but picked it up again towards end of autumn.
Go to font over Easter

Medium term
OS 20 E5s over the summer season - Couple of exceptions (Head Hunter, few things at avon) but basically didn't try anywhere near enough E5s
HP/ground up some E6s: A38, Bold as Love, Crimson Dynamo, A magenta Smudge - Did some E6's, mainly in the 'easy but scary category'. Questionable flash of Midnight Express at Avon was a particular highlight.
Consolidate at 7c+/8a: stuff at Brean, Academic, stuff at cheddar, Smashing of Amps - Added a few 7c+ to the ticklist but basically didn't try enough.
Climb at Avon Gorge and Trym Valley - Had a good spell of headpointing at avon and a couple of sessions at Trym. Still plenty left to do.

Long term
Repeat local hard boulder problems: stuff at Ladye bay, Tombstone, Gollum's cave (if i can stomach it!), stuff at Huntsham - Just didn't get round to trying anything. Too much to do, not enough time.
HP some E7s - To be or Not to Bolt at avon, probably more E6
Repeat some of the harder sport routes: Brean Topping, Shadow Walker, The Milky Bar Kid - Haven't tried anything very hard.
Tick all of the routes at Brean logged on UKC WIP

Looking a bit red up there but actually felt pretty productive.

Getting the super secret proj done was good at the beginning of the year then had a good spell of after work sessions in avon. Finished off the year with a cool trip to spain where i felt not-shit, a rarity for me on a sport climbing holiday. plenty of goals to carry through to next year...

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#233 Re: Aims for 2014
December 21, 2014, 09:35:07 pm

Trad: Onsight E4 consistently and get up a few major E5s onsight (Positron, Right Wall, Supersonic). Get back to Pembroke for a long weekend (only did 4 routes there this year). Headpoint a grit E6 (candidates, Wall of Sound, Salmon Left Hand, Slackers). Resurrection, Bloody Sunday, Minotaur, Trouble in Toytown flashed or onsighted. Have done quite a few E5s this year one way or another. Pembroke for only 2 days, but a great trip. Sunlover and Darkness at Noon ticked. Also headpointed Yukan II, a route I'd had in the back of my mind for ages, surprised myself with it falling into place quite easily. Did Salmon Left Hand the other week.

Sport: Flash 7b, redpoint 8a before I'm 30 (18 months). Think I'm good for both of these, just need to get the mileage and train carefully, specifically power and finger strength for 8a. Flashed 7b in Chorro (prob a soft one) but got up quite a few 7a+ routes onsight. Ticked more than average 7b+/7c routes this year and some of them much quicker than expected.

Make a training log to aid progress on this. Have training plan and sticking to it within reason at the moment.

Life: Finish PGCE successfully. Decide where I want to live! Still in Sheffield, got job.

Probably it for the year looking at the forecast, I might get a day or two in before New Year, but probably not anything significant.

csl

• junky
#234 Re: Aims for 2014
December 21, 2014, 09:59:36 pm
General

Regular training - join a London climbing club to increase opportunities to get out. Done - have met some great people in London and had lots of good days out!
Prioritise climbing outside over drinking/working! - done.

Sport
Get out to Portland/Swanage/Brean Down/Anstey's Cove   - 3/4.
Climb 7c's/7c+ 1 7c - 4th go. 2014 turned out to be a year of onsighting.
Go to a new sport climbing holiday destination. - done. RADellar and Lleida

Trad

Onsight some more classic E4's - only 1 E4 this year.
Onsight E5 - 1 E5
Get out to Swanage/Sharpnose/Pembroke. - 2/3.
(rollover from last year) do Wall of the World, Right Wall and some other classic E5's. - Didn't get on either of the two named.

Bouldering

Check out SS bouldering...
Climb a font 7a+/V7 outside.
Climb a font 7b/V8 outside. - Basically zero bouldering this year.

Other

3.15 Marathon - Bailed on running, too much hard work.
(rollover from last year) Climb Freeborn Man - Jumped off due to fear on first days DWS.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#235 Re: Aims for 2014
December 22, 2014, 03:11:09 pm
A mixed bag, Sport dominated this year and trad was sidelined after the summer trip to Ceuse was planned!

Boulder - 7B+
Nope, added a few to the 7A+ tally

Sport - 7c
Yes. 1 in Cheedale, 1 in Ceuse

Trad - try some E5s ground up
Dream on! Haven't done any trad all year

Some specific climbs - West Side Story, T crack, Suavito, Nosferatu, Strapadictomy, Jerrys roof, Ressurection
Whilst I had a few decent sessions on the boulder problems none were slayed, and trad just didn't happen

Trips - Bouldering in Fontainebleau and Torridon, sport climbing in Turkey
Fontainebleau Yes, Torridon No, Turkey sport became Ceuse sport.

and look after my tendons
Success

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#236 Re: Aims for 2014
December 22, 2014, 03:45:12 pm
move to a big house in S11 - kerching

lose a couple of stone - half a stone is better than none

stop whining about testicle, ankle, finger, back, toe or knee pain - mostly stopped whining, still grumble a bit

do something climbing related every week even if it means going indoors - not even close

go bouldering with others - enjoyed this

7C - ha hah ha ha ha haaah

JohnM

• junky
#237 Re: Aims for 2014
December 22, 2014, 04:05:42 pm
Routes:

Indian Summer (Kilnsey) - I have had 2 seasons on this and came close in 2012 but didn't get back on it last year due to injury.  If I can maintain my current training, stay injury free and get some sessions on it in the spring I am confident it will go! - Nope, was injured for most of the Spring onwards so didn't really try it.

Work an 8c with the long term aim of completing this climbing ambition - I have tried Bat Route at Malham which was coming together but there was still a move on the headwall that felt almost impossible for me.  May have another look this year.  I will have a two short trips to try Fish Eye at Oliana in the next couple of months with a longer trip to try and get it done at Easter.  I have been on this before and did all the moves quickly, it is just a case of having the fitness to recover in between the hard sections. - Didn't get back on Bat Route but had quite a few sessions on Fish Eye and made good progress.  Was ultimately thwarted by hot conditions and lack of time.  Maybe next year.

Flash/Onsight 8a - I came very close to flashing an 8a in Red River Gorge in October and flashed a 7c+/8a in Chulilla the other day.  I am not too far off but just need to keep trying. - Only red pointed on my trips this year and was unlikely to do it in Britain.

Headpoint a good mountain trad route such as a Birkett route in the Lakes - I did Dawes Rides a Shovelhead a few years back which was amazing and would like to do something similar.  I have tried If Six Was Nine briefly and would be keen to get back on that partners/weather permitting. - Didn't really try one.  Living in London I rarely get access to the mountain routes and even when I do I find it hard to get a keen partner.  Went to look at Nowt But a Flee'in Thing this year which would have been good to try but is a long walk in to convince a potential partner!

I would like to climb another big wall next year (Kyrgystan) so I would also like to do some bigger routes (Dolomites, Swiss Granite) in preparation if I can find the time! - Didn't do a multipitch/big wall trip in the end.

Bouldering:

No specific bouldering aims.  I need to get my bouldering grade up to fulfill my route ambitions and maybe finish off some problems I have tried such as 36 Chambers at Tremeirchion. - Had a couple of sessions on 36 Chambers ss and made good progress (maybe finish it over Xmas) and did a few classics up to V9 in Wales I hadn't done.  Did a V10 link in the cave as well so all in all not too bad.

It had felt like a disappointing year as I failed on my main aim which was to climb an 8c and I was dogged by injury for most of the year.  However, when I look at the stats it was actually an above average year for me and I shouldn't be too down beat.  I climbed my hardest or joint hardest route, I climbed more than my annual average number of 8th grade routes, I got solid at E5 again and also did a few boulder problems after neglecting trad and outdoor bouldering for a few years.  When you become too focused on a particular grade or route it is easy to forget about everything else!

Durbs

• forum hero
#238 Re: Aims for 2014
December 22, 2014, 04:10:21 pm

Life:
Lose the 2 inches I've gained since November - Success but then put it back on again
Get new job - Success :D
Get married without bankrupting self - Success (mostly)

Bouldering:
Tick a 7a indoors - Got a 6c+ in Manchester, but still can't touch this at Craggy 2... so fail
Tick 5x 6b's outdoors - Pfffff
Related to the above, go outdoors more - Mostly yes, kind of, but things didn't quite go as planned

Following hot on the heels of the wedding, Mrs Durbs got pregnant (woo hoo!) which is ace, but unfortunately she got struck pretty hard with Hyperemesis Gravidarum for August, September & October, which meant I was playing nurse for most of the summer, so climbing dropped to once a week and only managed a couple of trips out on to the rock.
She's fine now (hurrah!), but now bouldering is still once a week as she can't come (doesn't want to fall and gets frustrated bimbling) so haven't really made any climbing progress.

But still, all in all - a shit hot year :D

Brannock

• regular
#239 Re: Aims for 2014
December 24, 2014, 03:37:03 pm

50 E points, (36 last year so shouldn't be to hard) smashed, 117

Get back to Gogarth sucess, mousetrap, red wall....

Go to more new crags, (Yorkshire, Lakes, Lleyn maybe) pretty good, scafell, boulder ruckle, pass, slate, Pembroke .

More sport climbing, try redpointing something in the 7B region. failure don't think I've clipped any bolts this year.

Sub 18min 5km 17.42

A decent length fell race. 6 fell races, two 19th place finishes

Good year, feel a bit disappointed for some reason.

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#240 Re: Aims for 2014
December 24, 2014, 08:11:47 pm
keeping things simple seemed to have helped a bit:

dont get injured: started out averagely with a few niggles, but been much better at keeping this under control, hopefully keep it under control next year
do more 8Asgoing to take this as a green, three definitely counts as a few right?
do something >8A+ despite three weeks in magic wood sessioning things this didnt end well, but got a much better understanding of trying things at my limit
stop going on trips for mileage and do something hard definitely a success, got some hard things done in ticino and might have failed in magic but at least tried

might not have succeeded in everything but all in all not a bad year

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#241 Re: Aims for 2014
December 24, 2014, 10:53:27 pm
The 2014 inquest.....

Routes
In general, get my stamina back to pre-winter levels (not tied on at all since early November) and carry on ticking at Malham and Kilnsey, specifically:
- Raindogs.... Raindogs.... Raindogs!
Job done early in the season - after not having tied on for around 5-6 months.... fitness is a myth!
- If not mentally ruined by the above, An.Other classic Yorkshire 8a (maybe Zoolook, the Bulge, or Subculture), maybe, if going very well, start to project a "soft" 8a+.
Followed up Raindogs with Baboo, The Bulge, Subculture, Cold Steal, Thumb, Urgent Action, Puppeteer, Drenka, and Complete Control.  Annoyed that Zoolook held out though (in my last session before Winter retirement, I randomly slipped on the final tufas... Doh!)
- See off some unfinished business: Prime Evil at Chapel, Man With a Gun at Kilnsey (if it feels at all familiar).
Partial pass - I never got to Chapel, but I did finish off Man With a Gun and Dominatrix - bete noirs from previous years[/color]
- Fill in some gaps in my home-education - climb anything at Gordale, have a go at Mescalito.
Technical fail but maybe a spiritual pass.  I never climbed at Gordale or got on Mescalito but I did do Dreamtime and Air Rage which had a similar status for me - lines I'd long eyed up but for some reason avoided - probably as they looked too much like hard work for the grade!
- Do some sport routes in Wales - I've never climbed at LPT, Dinbren, or any of the A55 crags - really must have a week there.
Abject fail.... only UK climbing outside Yorkshire was a weekend in Cheedale... and that was only because forced from Kilnsey by the Tour de France!

Bouldering
- Make an effort to visit some moorland grit (have a go at McNab).
Fail... virtually no bouldering all year - and the little I did was of the convenience type
- Likewise, visit Thorn Crag for the first time.
Fail... as above, only new crag I went to all year was Brownstones
- See off Ringpiece and maybe the Calf traverse.
Fail... despite, living a mile or two away.  My feeling up for it, and the weather not being too cold and windy, never seemed to coincide.  The traverse is particularly annoying - everytime I try it, I find I've forgotten the "feel" of how to get in to the tricky bit and have to spend the entire session re-learning rather than learning
[/quote]

So overall, a decent showing on the sport front, but I never really got going bouldering.  I was also distressingly parochial.  I must try to get to a few new crags - preferably in Wales (LPT, Dimbren etc).  Or at the very least, go somewhere in Yorkshire other than Malham or Kilnsey. Maybe get my teeth into Supercool or something at the Hollywood Bowl.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#242 Re: Aims for 2014
December 25, 2014, 04:49:00 am
It's strange to look back at this post a year later. I'm writing from a hotel room in Hanoi, we have been on the road for nearly 5 months and had an amazing time so far.

2014 will be a bit different, as I'm leaving the UK in August for a 10 month 'round the world' trip with my girlfriend (YYFY). So I'm only setting goals up to August, beyond then will be a mix of climbing / travelling (and almost certainly no training). I'd like to be in the best possible shape by then to make the most of it.

- Get back to max sport fitness. Aim to start this immediately
- Be more structured / disciplined with training, use time at the wall more efficiently
- Stretch more
- Tick off some local projects - academic, high 7's at ban-y-gor, high 7's at witches point, some more 7's from my cheddar wishlist and a local 8a.
- A bit ambitious perhaps, but would love to redpoint an 8b and onsight a 7c
- Get consistent at 7b onsight
- Get to some of the local-ish crags that I've been meaning to visit for ages - ansteys, dinas rock, torbyran
- Stay uninjured

Overall not very successful - was climbing ok before leaving the UK, managed a short 7c+ at cheddar in an hour session but no 8a, despite coming close on the extension and on academic. As the year progressed, I ended up working long hours and spending a lot of time planning for the trip / life admin, so didn't get out a lot. Apart from a few days in Hampi, I've not climbed for nearly 5 months and feel like my body is deteriorating. I'm about the same weight, but feel flabby and week. We get to Tonsai in about 3 weeks time, I cannot wait to climb again but am also ready for a dent to the ego. Interested to see how it goes.

An amazing year, but not in terms of climbing!

abarro81

• forum hero
#243 Re: Aims for 2014
December 30, 2014, 09:01:49 am
Stop getting so damn injured Have been carrying a collateral ligament injury for the whole year, still not totally fixed though it's almost there.

Redpoint 9a FAIL. 9a is quite hard. Rematch coming up in the Spring...
Onsight/flash 8b Wahoo! Had an aweseme onsight/quick tick trip in the Spring.

Progress
Bat Route
Hajj
No UK sport climbing due to finger.

Burn Will off on the wave Don't think I climbed with Will on the wave, bet I would have done though ;)
Burn Stu off on the wave Don't think so. He didn't burn me off as badly as he could have done at the school though.
Find a new way to piss off large sections of the climbing community  :P Need to work harder on this one

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#244 Re: Aims for 2014
December 31, 2014, 06:01:43 pm
Sport Ten 7th grade routesThree days sport climbing total, all in one trip to Portland in May when I was still suffering with my fingers. Did two 6bs, one onsight.

Bouldering Ten 7th grade problemsOnly started bouldering again in August and even then very gingerly. Post physio I got going again properly but didn't tick a 7. Highest tick all year was a 6C.

Trad Twenty E-points Despite climbing trad all year I only managed 11- can't blame injury for that. Did my first E2 though.

Given how far I came from hitting these targets it seems a bit mad to think that I even saw them as reasonable but I have to remind myself that in 2013 I did six 7th grade sport routes and three 7th grade problems so the trad one actually felt the most ambitious!

Literally the day after I set the goals I injured my finger really badly. It turned out to be far more of a problem than I expected- I only got a proper diagnosis in October after 10 months of thinking it was better, hurting it again, hurting the same finger on the other hand in the same way, getting depressed about it, etc.

There have been positives as well as negatives to seeing myself as a climbing invalid for most of the year though and despite failing miserably at these targets I have actually had an enjoyable and productive year.

Here's to 2015 and everyone on here achieving their goals!  ;D

stokesy

• regular
#245 Re: Aims for 2014
January 01, 2015, 03:45:53 pm
1) Font 7C+.
- Fail, never got strong enough to make pulling on one worthwhile.

2) At least 5 7B+ and upwards (Underworld, Slopey traverse, Doris Direct, Ringpiece and Pit problem low start should cover it).
- Fail, didn't climb harder than 7A+ all year (if I even did 7A+).

3) At least 1 Font 7B abroad.
- Fail, closest attempt was a few decent goes on Carnage in May, tried again in October but had gone backwards considerably.

4) 2/3 trips abroad.
- 3 trips to Font, not exactly adventurous but still fun

5) More trips round the UK rather than just climbing grit all the time.
- 4 days in Wales in March, otherwise didn't really get out of Yorkshire bar a few trips to the Peak. Must do better.

6) Maybe actually tie on to a rope this year (slate looks fun...).
- Fail

7) Don't get another hernia.
- Think I succeeded at this one at least

Not a great year grades wise, too many niggling injuries to get any real strength back, but a lot of good problems done nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:56:40 pm by stokesy »

kelvin

• forum hero
#246 Re: Aims for 2014
January 01, 2015, 03:59:32 pm
Learn to appreciate grit I guess - I just don't understand it. Yep - I think I get now
Loose some more weight - 75kg  (78/79kg lately) Heavier -82/83
Generally not forget to just enjoy the mountains - scramble, wildcamp etc. Lots of soloing on Idwel slabs, Cniefon Arete etc

Boulder
Get outside more than once! Bad effort last year. Font for 5 days plus Plantation, Cratcliffe etc. First 6A and 6A+ in the forest, a few grit 6As too and all within a couple of goes. Made it to the Deliverence sidepull
Indoors V4 (almost yesterday)  Flashed 3
Indoors V5 Nowhere near at Pinnacle

Trad
Not get sidetracked by falling in love  :chair: Strong effort here - almost celebate
Get some more E1s 4 more, all slabs
E2 (ideally Pull My Daisy) Got on E2 5c and E3 6a, no joy
Consolidate VS and HVS Dunno really. 2x5b,7x5a,12x4c tech pyramid but find grit HVS particularly hard despite having ticked 5 x E1 now

Sport
Onsight 6b A perfect Feb day - on limestone
Actually redpoint something  What is this redpoint thing people do?!

Pretty pleased with this year despite the last six months being a washout due to rain or injury/illness.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#247 Re: Aims for 2014
January 01, 2015, 04:46:53 pm
Stop getting so damn injured Have been carrying a collateral ligament injury for the whole year, still not totally fixed though it's almost there.

Redpoint 9a FAIL. 9a is quite hard. Rematch coming up in the Spring...
Onsight/flash 8b Wahoo! Had an aweseme onsight/quick tick trip in the Spring.

Progress
Bat Route
Hajj
No UK sport climbing due to finger.

Burn Will off on the wave Don't think I climbed with Will on the wave, bet I would have done though ;)
Burn Stu off on the wave Don't think so. He didn't burn me off as badly as he could have done at the school though.
Find a new way to piss off large sections of the climbing community  :P Need to work harder on this one

With regard your last goal, I may be able to help if the price is right.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#248 Re: Aims for 2014
January 01, 2015, 06:27:37 pm
1. Get my swollen knee/leg fixed as it is currently like the limb of an elephant.
2. Get Louis Armstrong done.

1. Fixed my knee by about May after having a knee arthroscopy in Feb on a double meniscal tear. Took a while to get brave enough to fall off anything and a bit longer to pull on a left heel.

2. Didn't put the time in necessary. Had a few sessions doing it in overlapping halves and a couple doing laps of the crux move to finish. Going to try really hard and make the effort this year. Living so close, there really is no excuse for failure.

On a brighter note I ticked some good life goals... Won the fantasy footy 2013/14, bought a house in Glan Conwy (10 mins from Parisellas and with amazing views), got a pay rise, learnt to climb on pillbox (and how to crimp again) and got engaged! :)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#249 Re: Aims for 2014
January 03, 2015, 07:58:54 pm
1. The project
2. Light Weight
3. Gaskins Pill Box problem from standup (note this will roll over to every subsequent year of my life though could walk feet flush to kicker in position for a long time. Next step the pullon).

A year of solid focus.

1. No, never got on it. Was climbed by a lovely lovely fellow a softer less direct way. Still hungry for it.

2. No, never got on it.

3. What do you think?

The goals completely changed early doors and managed to finally pass my driving test, sell out of my first whisky bottling and have moved into our first purchased amazing house. I'm really happy with how it all went this year despite essentially not climbing at all.

Was made redundant due to company closure at the end of the year. That completely sucked but have a temporary contract in a menial job for the short term and hoping a good day job comes back into play asap.

Here's to 2015 all!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal