UKBouldering.com

John Gaskins interview - the video at last (Read 109756 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Is there a link on this thread to the film that I can't see? (on tapatalk..)

There's an embedded link in first post. Might have not shown up before. I'm savouring consuming this vid whole on Saturday afternoon.

Beegsyboy

• regular
What a legend!!

Has anyone else been on/repeated A Moment of Clarity at Thorn? How tall is it? Surely must be the hardest route on Grit, if it is a route?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Great!

Shark, one thing I was curious about - you asked him about some of his most memorable days and he said there were a few, then began by describing doing that Austrian traverse in 30min. You then switched topic - did John at any point mention his other highlights?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Great!

Shark, one thing I curious about - you asked him about some of his most memorable days and he said there were a few, then began by describing doing that Austrian traverse in 30min. You then switched topic - did John at any point mention his other highlights?

No. Replaying it I realised I cut him off a bit early there when he was probably going to expand on other things. My bad. Sorry.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Ah well, still a fine interview!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Ah well, still a fine interview!

I'll email and ask him (along with anything else anyone want asking). 

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Shark - thank you very very much for this. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

rossydoodle61

• player
Brilliant. Thanks to all involved. A great interview and I really enjoyed watching it.

He comes across as a really humble, genuine guy. I particularly loved the comment about significant ascents - 'Font 8C, it's an old grade...'

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
Brilliant watch!

Although it's now half 1 and I've got to be up in 4 hours...damn

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
Good job everyone! John comes off as a really nice bloke throughout, not at all as scary as he looks when he's really pulling! Great to see our questions answered, thanks Simon :thumbsup: p.s. my psych levels just hit an all time high :weakbench:

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
that Austrian traverse

Absolutely typical JG by the way. There are many idyllic remote mountain crags in Austria. Dschungelbuch otoh is right next to  a working quarry - Innsbruck climbers in fact live in fear of it becoming part of the quarry.  About 500 metres from a busy autobahn. And right underneath the flight path for Innsbruck airport.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:36:49 am by Muenchener »

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Thoroughly enjoyed that. Thanks Shark

Really like how he still climbing for himself. Climbing 8B and not claiming anything publicly. I guess he thinks 8B is not noteworthy any more
:2thumbsup:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Amazing guys! Thank you very much  :2thumbsup:

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
Cheers guys, this is awesome! Such a nice guy. Psyched for some training now!  :bounce:

rich d

• forum hero
 :bow:

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Well done Shark, a must-see piece.

Did you discuss getting hold of any of the unreleased footage that was mentioned?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Did you discuss getting hold of any of the unreleased footage that was mentioned?

Thanks.

A couple of times. As I understand it, if it is anywhere, it is most likely in the loft of the parents of the person who took it who's now moved away so we'll have to wait on when he next comes home before he's able to dig around to find out whether it's still there. 

Doylo

• forum hero
It made me realise most of his hard stuff was quite similar/specific and his training was tailored for this style. Big moves on tiny holds with extreme tension. Add the dedication and focus and you get some pretty hard stuff. Interesting that he chose Hubble over Liquid Ambar. Up yours to the cynics

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser

Thanks.

A couple of times. As I understand it, if it is anywhere, it is most likely in the loft of the parents of the person who took it who's now moved away so we'll have to wait on when he next comes home before he's able to dig around to find out whether it's still there.

Would be really keen to see the footage of Darkness Before The Dawn, it's an amazing line up a really impressive boulder, it was a historic first ascent and for a few years it was the hardest problem in Ireland...

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
What I would say to all the doubters about his ascents is - haters go home.... Johnny G lives.

Oops drunken posting!

Well done Mr Shark for an excellent interview. Both John and Ben both have seemed really relaxed in both interviews so you must be doing something right.

Wood FT

• forum hero
What I would say to all the doubters about his ascents is - haters go home.... Johnny G lives.

Oops drunken posting!

Well done Mr Shark for an excellent interview. Both John and Ben both have seemed really relaxed in both interviews so you must be doing something right.

Monolith

• forum hero
Danny Cattell's text response upon finding this video went live should be framed. He'll stop shivering in the corner when the board footage goes up.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Danny Cattell's text response upon finding this video went live should be framed.

What was it ?

Monolith

• forum hero
"Oh God!Oh God!Thanks.Oh God"

It's fair to describe this as extreme anxious excitement I reckon.

fried

• forum hero
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Fantastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal