UKBouldering.com

Lakes for 2 days: where to go ? (Read 2317 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
Lakes for 2 days: where to go ?
June 26, 2019, 09:16:35 pm
Next weekend I've got nearly 2 full days in t'lakes.
Leaving Sheffield on Friday morning and need to pick up rest of fam just before 5 at Penrith on Saturday. Staying in Keswick on Friday night.
I'll have my lad (19 and a half 6 foot 3, not a climber but very willing to spot) with me.

Yes I've got the guide but the problem is it all looks brilliant and every time I read it with a view of narrowing down options I dont.
Sooo... I know this is an almost impossible question to answer but where should I go for lots of quality, preferably with good views. Fairly confident of 7a/+ in a session but don't want to spend all day on one problem.

Any replies much appreciated.
Thanks

danm

• junky
#1 Re: Lakes for 2 days: where to go ?
June 26, 2019, 09:28:15 pm
St. Bees and Carrock Fell are probably the best options for a Keswick base. Bowderstone if it's a bit showery or if you like the steep stuff.

Nigel

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lakes for 2 days: where to go ?
June 26, 2019, 10:30:22 pm
St Bee's and Carrock def top of the list for large volumes of quality up that way, especially if you're a first time visitor. Things to bear in mind: not usually an issue but some bits of St Bees can be affected by very high tide and / or big seas so check that. Carrock gets morning sun. If forecast is for hot and sunny leave it til afternoon or you'll have no skin! Bowderstone is great but realistically is best for 7a+ upwards. Lower grades than this (stuff around the crack) is great but is unlikely to fill a day.

SamT

• forum hero
#3 Re: Lakes for 2 days: where to go ?
June 27, 2019, 01:15:24 pm
St Bees innit

PlainCroi$$ant

• regular
#4 Re: Lakes for 2 days: where to go ?
June 27, 2019, 03:05:10 pm
St Bees

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: Lakes for 2 days: where to go ?
June 27, 2019, 04:16:30 pm
The lad better be psyched for sketchy as fuck vertical descent paths...

Gillercombe, definitely. Great mid-grade circuit, good rock, really beautiful setting, okay walk from Honister going diagonally left to reach the ridge. Less razory than Carrock too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal