UKBouldering.com

Still a free man... (Read 1663 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Still a free man...
June 24, 2004, 11:35:07 am
After a harrowing morning in court I am still a free man.  I got busted for having no car insurance in October and the court case was this morning.  Ended up in court in Ilkeston, and what an experience.  I was expecting just one guy (the judge) and a couple of people explaining the shizzle. What I got was 3 women, sat high above me, the court clerk, the two people reading my case, and the guy who brought me in.  The girl who read my case was clearly a cripple as she read all the facts wrong and I then had to explain to the magistrates what actually happened!  After some serious confusion about when I was allowed to speak, and when I wasn't, I finally made my point and got a £300 fine and 6 points.  Plus another 3 points coming my way from a red light camera, I am the crucial 9 points!  Still, atleast I can still drive!  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Still a free man...
June 24, 2004, 11:59:54 am
You're lucky to get 6pts, most people I know who've been busted without insurance have got 7.

Before I passed my car test, I drove about for about a month with no tax/mot /insurance so have been there, but never have done since. I think you have to ask yourself what would happen if a kid ran out in front of your car. You'd be paying out for the rest of your life, and might even face jail these days. Not worth it.

I've also been crashed into twice by fuckers with no insurance and had to pay out thousands in repair costs/lost NCB - not good to be on the receiving end of it.

But anyway, you have my sympathies - I had the dreaded 9 points up until very recently and it's a major pain in the ass to have that hanging over your head for 3 years  :cry:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#2 Still a free man...
June 24, 2004, 12:07:34 pm
could you not sue the fuckers privately bubba? otherwise i might get rid of my own insurance if it's no good. used to work with a load of navvies on construction sites who bought a car for a few hundred squid. drove it till it packed up n then did same again, no insurance, just what was left on tax. don't get me started on taxi drivers

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Still a free man...
June 24, 2004, 12:20:40 pm
One bloke was long term dole, so no point - I'd have got 20p p/week for about 10 years or something.

The other bloke gave me his address but then did a runner and the insurance company's legal dept couldn't trace him so no chance of that one either.

Next time somebody hits me, I'm calling the police, that way if the other person scarpers the peegs will be after them for leaving the scene of an accident, which should help the traceability.

bigphil

• menacing presence
#4 Still a free man...
June 24, 2004, 01:05:34 pm
Calling the babylon is definately a good idea.  My misses was hit by a bloke in a white van, he left his details and admitted responsibility but then later denied it.  She had to meet him 50:50 on costs.  Luckily she had protected NCD.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#5 Still a free man...
June 24, 2004, 04:31:08 pm
although in my defense I didn't actually know I wasn't insured.  I thought I was, because I had wrongly assumed my mum had insured me on her car... oh well.  Live and learn.  Certainly wouldn't drive uninsured ever again, it's not worth the risk.  It's the amount of damage you can do to someone else that is cause for worry...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Still a free man...
June 24, 2004, 06:20:53 pm
Unlucky!

Apparantly something like 1 in 20 drivers are uninsured. Madness.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal