UKBouldering.com

Christmas in Oman (Read 2719 times)

Motown

• regular
Christmas in Oman
November 27, 2013, 12:27:02 pm
After four months in rock starved Qatar, my wife and I are planning a trip to Oman over Christmas. Although I have the Toby FK guide book for UAE and Oman, I have initially thought that we would base ourselves in Muscat and explore that region.

I'd really like to get out to the more remote areas like Haddash and Khubrah Canyon, and would also be up for some DWS. I would be hiring a 4x4 but have very little experience of driving on difficult terrain have spirit though...

Asking for advice really. I'm looking for sport climbing this trip and routes up to 7a, but with lower grade stuff too. Quantity is key as haven't climbed anything other than a chossy sinkhole for months. Would like to meet up with informed locals to climb or just get some useful information.

Any suggestions about places to go, cars to hire, guides to buy, places to stay are appreciated. If you think climbing purposes would be better served based in a diffrent area of the country I'd be interested in your opinions too.

Thank you in advance.

Motown

• regular
#1 Re: Christmas in Oman
December 04, 2013, 08:30:25 am
Thanks - comments about 4x4 are gratefully received. I did hear that Kubrah Canyon and Wadi Daykah are just about accessible with 2WD. What do you reckon? My original plan was 4x4 from but as negotiations spousal negotiations over comfort and cost creep in it is on the table! Treating this trip as a bit of a recce too.

Not met Jiri but climbing here is limited to two areas of choss - one above and one below ground. Sorry three - one tidal but solid. I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point.

Any insider recommendations for camping at crags in either area?

I'm particularly interested in Wonderwall - looks like a good spread of grades and a great setting. I read the information about border access on the Red armada blog - is it still pretty tedious there?

Thanks for all your help.

Motown

• regular
#2 Re: Christmas in Oman
December 05, 2013, 02:03:17 pm
Thank you for all the information. I had been put in touch with Brian by a friend in Dubai but will tread carefully - skimmed his documents for the clichés mentioned in Red Armada (I'm an English teacher and always looking for entertaining material...). Would he like to be Alan James?

Keen to hear more established knowledge and will join the facebook group you recommend - amused to see like some sort of terrorist group he is 'the Real UAE' climber (splitters).

Will keep searching around. Looking forward to my first explorations in the region and getting out on some rock. Will have a go at Wonderwall from one side or the other - those big slabs look brilliant.

Thanks

Motown

• regular
#3 Re: Christmas in Oman
December 05, 2013, 02:04:32 pm
My mistake - the Real group is the right one!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal