UKBouldering.com

Dweezil Zappa interview (Read 3244 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Dweezil Zappa interview
October 18, 2013, 12:33:10 am
In case any fans of the Zappa family are interested, I conducted an interview with Dweezil Zappa earlier this month. I'm a huge fan of Frank and his son was a really nice guy to talk to:

Article here.

Some more interesting interviewees in the pipeline too.

Stewart

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Dweezil Zappa interview
October 18, 2013, 08:51:22 am
Cool interview Monolith. I'm also a huge FZ fan. I've seen Zappa plays Zappa 3 or 4 times now, amazing musicians and always good value although perhaps missing a bit of spontaneity that would really take them closer to Frank's music. Never saw the real thing unfortunately although the first time i saw ZPZ it was with Ray White which was pretty cool.

I saw Muffin Men with Jimmy Carl Black on vocals a few  years back - some boy!

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#2 Re: Dweezil Zappa interview
October 18, 2013, 09:27:43 am
if my memory serves Dweezil had a good rock solo album back in the day?

Vitamin K

• addict
#3 Re: Dweezil Zappa interview
October 18, 2013, 09:53:31 am
Nice article - there is some great Youtube footage of Z plays Z and it's well worth checking out if you are a Zappa aficionado. First saw FZ live in '82 and whilst Dweezil's band don't quite have the quirkiness of his Dad's outfit(s) they put the music across really, really well.

Looks like he has a more balanced approach to being a Dad than his father who, it's probably fair to say, was a complete workaholic.

Thanks for posting.

Monolith

• forum hero
#4 Re: Dweezil Zappa interview
October 18, 2013, 10:27:27 pm
Cool interview Monolith. I'm also a huge FZ fan. I've seen Zappa plays Zappa 3 or 4 times now, amazing musicians and always good value although perhaps missing a bit of spontaneity that would really take them closer to Frank's music. Never saw the real thing unfortunately although the first time i saw ZPZ it was with Ray White which was pretty cool.

I saw Muffin Men with Jimmy Carl Black on vocals a few  years back - some boy!

Could be worth you popping along to one of the UK dates in November Stewart? The Liverpool Philharmonic date should be excellent - great venue.

if my memory serves Dweezil had a good rock solo album back in the day?

I'm not too sure without googling mate. I know very little of the stuff he did with his brother and I should make some time to seek this stuff out soon.

Nice article - there is some great Youtube footage of Z plays Z and it's well worth checking out if you are a Zappa aficionado. First saw FZ live in '82 and whilst Dweezil's band don't quite have the quirkiness of his Dad's outfit(s) they put the music across really, really well.

Looks like he has a more balanced approach to being a Dad than his father who, it's probably fair to say, was a complete workaholic.

Thanks for posting.

Very jealous mate! I would pay thousands to resurrect Uncle Frank! I can watch Does Humour Belong in Music? on loop every day.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Dweezil Zappa interview
October 19, 2013, 11:56:16 am
 :2thumbsup:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#6 Re: Dweezil Zappa interview
October 19, 2013, 01:40:15 pm
Great interview Mon.  I'm ashamed to say that in spite of being a committed muso, I don't own any Zappa.... I should rectify that.

Tom de Gay

• stalker
#7 Dweezil Zappa interview
October 19, 2013, 03:54:33 pm
Good interview, thanks for flagging it up. My parents took me to an FZ concert a few months before I was born. Not a great view from where I was sitting, but I think the experience stayed with me.

Monolith

• forum hero
#8 Re: Dweezil Zappa interview
October 20, 2013, 07:49:12 pm
Great interview Mon.  I'm ashamed to say that in spite of being a committed muso, I don't own any Zappa.... I should rectify that.

Treat yourself to some vinyl off ebay if you can FD. All the little nuances in production come across so vividly on this format.

Good interview, thanks for flagging it up. My parents took me to an FZ concert a few months before I was born. Not a great view from where I was sitting, but I think the experience stayed with me.

Cheers mate - it was a real pleasure of an interview to conduct. That's an awesome unborn tick by the way!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal