UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire: which guide(s)? (Read 2764 times)

benj_d

• menacing presence
Yorkshire: which guide(s)?
November 25, 2013, 01:39:16 am
Just after a little advice... Hoping to venture into yorkshire a bit more than just slipstones and brimham (I live between newcastle and durham) to the likes of almscliff, guisecliff, caley etc..
Have used the yorkshire grit website plenty but feel I need a proper guide, not sure on the ymc guide or the 2 volumes from total climbing, anyone with good experience of both??

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Yorkshire: which guide(s)?
November 25, 2013, 08:50:05 am
Possibly a daft question but you do want to do routes and bouldering?

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Yorkshire: which guide(s)?
November 25, 2013, 09:15:53 am
The YMC is a very good guide which is put together really well, good pictures, well researched and has good directions! It includes both routes and bouldering at: Almscliff, Caley, Chevin, Brimham, Barden fell, Hunter Stones, Great Wolfery, Eavestones, sliptsones and Hetchell. There will be another Vol. coming out next year which will include ever where else.

Total Climbing guides are good but Vol 1. is starting to get a bit dated, the guides are laid out nicely, however some of sections are slightly misleading and there are minor grades issues. Vol 2. is a lot better but covers crags less popular with big walk ins. Together they cover all areas in Yorkshire.

I believe the Depot are currently doing a deal on the Total Climbing guides Vol. 1 and Vol 2. for £26 which maybe attractive: https://www.theclimbingdepot.co.uk/shop/product/yorkshire-grit-bouldering-volume-1-2

Hope that helps.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#3 Re: Yorkshire: which guide(s)?
November 25, 2013, 11:32:49 am
The YMC is a very good guide which is put together really well, good pictures, well researched and has good directions! It includes both routes and bouldering at: Almscliff, Caley, Chevin, Brimham, Barden fell, Hunter Stones, Great Wolfery, Eavestones, sliptsones and Hetchell. There will be another Vol. coming out next year which will include ever where else.

Total Climbing guides are good but Vol 1. is starting to get a bit dated, the guides are laid out nicely, however some of sections are slightly misleading and there are minor grades issues. Vol 2. is a lot better but covers crags less popular with big walk ins. Together they cover all areas in Yorkshire.

I believe the Depot are currently doing a deal on the Total Climbing guides Vol. 1 and Vol 2. for £26 which maybe attractive: https://www.theclimbingdepot.co.uk/shop/product/yorkshire-grit-bouldering-volume-1-2

Hope that helps.

agreed. Dunning's guide,although a little off in places, is good for motivating yo to visit New places. always cross reference with yorkshiregrit.com

ssying that,I disagree with some of the grades in the new guide, but that's grades for you

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Yorkshire: which guide(s)?
November 25, 2013, 06:02:43 pm
My Yorkshire guide never comes out with me.. I just look online on YG.com beforehand..

Then again, if you want something to read on the bog and get (not necessarily on the bog) sweaty palmed about then as above..

benj_d

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Yorkshire: which guide(s)?
November 25, 2013, 09:20:43 pm
Possibly a daft question but you do want to do routes and bouldering?

Sorry, should have said, mainly just after bouldering but do some occasional trad so the ymc guide may help.

It seems the YMC guide may be the best choice, seems the best quality and as long as the bouldering info is extensive i'll be pleased with it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal