UKBouldering.com

Business bank account recommendations (Read 22218 times)

dave

#25 Business bank account recommendations
November 26, 2013, 02:25:26 pm
Where's your branch Gav, the 1950s?

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Is suspect that companies not having a multi million pound turnover and being very successful will find it slightly harder to get to know their manager as well as you Gav

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I'll have you know Mr Cholmondley Warner comes from a fine family of bankers, his father dealt with my uncle's accounts, and if you don't like it I'll bid goodday to you sir!

gme

• forum hero
But you have to start somewhere Graeme and i still believe its about the manager.

I am not massively into the modern idea of changing all the time, neither with customers or suppliers, and feel that making an effort to build a relationship that goes beyond the "computer says no" scenario reaps benefits. However i agree it takes time, so find someone you feel you could get on with 1st, build from there and dont jump ship the first time they fuck up, which they will.

Work with them to get it right.

I find this works the same with other stuff that those pesky meercats keep telling us that we need to do with. Dont change all the time just ring up the company your with and tell them what you want and how much you want to pay, nine times out of ten the company you are with wont want to loose your custom so will match or beat the price/service being offered.

One thing that you need to insist on is a mobile number for your manager and next in line plus direct email. Nothing worse than those f**king queuing systems.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
I've had a first hand glowing review about the Triodos bank. I just wondered if anybody here had any experience with them?

The man that I spoke to there was very helpful (there was even a landline number available to call rather than screwing people on premium numbers) and explained the workings of their operation. They use the next working day faster payments service now but they don't offer a debit card. Since I intend to be conducting all of my transactions via the online medium I have to say that this looks a very strong contender for me.

They have arrangements for the paying in of cash with RBS. Hmmmm....

Triodos
Their tariffs

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Another option, unrelated to individuals personal experiences, could be to let the ethics of the banks guide your choice if thats something that bothers you/influences your choices in life.

Co-op/Smile bank are due to change drastically.

(thanks to nathan wind for the pointer to this comparison site).

Monolith

• forum hero
Thanks for that Slackers  :)

I've filed an application with Triodos and am buoyed by the conversations I've had today with two of their members of staff. I think more than anything I'm looking to deal with people whose purpose is to facilitate my business operations rather than inhibiting them. Time will tell and I'm sure I'll have some feedback in due course.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#32 Re: Business bank account recommendations
November 29, 2013, 07:20:23 pm
Important to get a bank that's on your side, rather than just theirs....

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/nov/26/mark-carney-rbs-deeply-troubling-serious

As disgraceful as this is, having read about a few of the cases it seems most situations could have been avoided if the clients had run their options past an independent advisor rather than just doing what the bank suggested.

In my experience, most people who work for banks in small business lending have zero clue about business and can barely read a set of accounts.

A perfect situation is as gme described but this seems extremely rare, so if you've managed to find people you can talk to reasonably already Mono, that's a bonus.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Can anyone recommend an account that doesn't charge for incoming foreign money transfers?

I was about to open a Co-op business account but they charge a £6 fee for processing incoming transfers. Given that the transfers I receive will usually be around £200 at a time, this seems rather excessive.

Looking for a cheap to run account that doesn't have such fees...

Monolith

• forum hero
Approaching one year in, Triodos have been brilliant. There is no card facility offered which may present a problem for some but all my transfers and received payments are by BACS. Fantastic customer service, cheap fees and always somebody available to help when you need it.

For what it's worth Bubba, I'd take a look into it if the card facility is no issue. Not too sure on IBAN deets though sorry.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I doubt such a thing exists but let me know if you find one. Might be better to look at other options for moving the money?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Check out things like fair currency exchange on the web

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Thanks all - unfortunately I can't change the way that the incoming payments are made (they're generated automatically by a 3rd party) but I'll have a look at Triodos and keep searching :)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Could you get a bank account in the same country as the 3rd party?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Although currently just 2 currencies I hope to expand to 6 so not really possible.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Hmm, have rung all the places I can find and they all seem to charge either £6 or £7.  Oh well, just have to put up with it I guess  :shrug:

Probably go with Co-op as I have another account with them already.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I know it's not about personal banking but if anyone's thinking about switching their own accounts then I can't recommend First Direct highly enough.  They have been superb since I switched from Barclays three years ago.

andy popp

• forum hero
+1

I've been with FirstDirect almost since they launched and have never had a reason to complain. About 20 years ago we were struggling for one reason and another and the bank were incredibly supportive and despite being telephone only then I had a named person I could always talk to.

Obviously that was a long time ago and perhaps no bank shows such forbearance now, but day-to-day customer service remains just as good as it ever was. Online has been totally glitch free for me.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Same experience for me.  The telephone service is superb and their customer management systems are up to date with every interaction so there's no explaining when you call up.  Plus their agents are all based in Ireland so there's no translation errors.  They were very helpful when I was in financial chaos/limbo two years ago.  The online and mobile apps are great too.

rossydoodle61

• player
Another happy First Direct personal banking customer here. Their customer service is absolutely superb. I thought all banks were just a bloody nuisance until I joined them and I just couldn't believe the crap service everyone else gives out has become the status quo. I never have to wait more than a few rings to speak to a real person and they're just helpful and friendly beyond belief.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
A little bit of info. May/may not be helpful.

www.bytestart.co.uk/sole-trader-bank-account.html

As a sole trader (or if you are in a partnership), your personal and business income are treated as one for tax purposes. There is no legal obligation to set up a separate account for any business income, although the terms and conditions for your current account may restrict its use for business purposes.

2. Some banks will not allow you to use your personal account for business purposes. More likely than not, this is to ensure that you don’t escape paying a monthly tariff on your business transactions.

The buggers...

Obviously different for ltd/llp - as independent legal entities; lower accounting fees, and less hassle may more than offset banking charges.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Really useful reading.  I need to setup a business account for my business... has anyone any updates since this was last  discussed?

Monolith

• forum hero
2 years on with Triodos Ben and I haven't a single complaint against them. A minor gripe is that one can't obtain a card through them but since almost every transaction I send and receive is via BACS/FPS, it's really never been a problem. Having to pay cash from a float or my own pocket is a bit of a nuisance but I guess it depends how much of an issue this would be for yourself.

I've found their customer service to be brilliant and they even supply a landline number to call them on.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Thanks Tom. Good info, but I'm really going to need a card.  Been leaning toward Lloyds....

Davo

• obsessive maniac
We use Lloyds who have been good. Think a lot of the banks have a free 1 year trial period which could be a good option.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal