UKBouldering.com

Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm! (Read 14801 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 10, 2003, 11:14:45 am
I was going ot add this to the end of the hard slabs thread but that is getting a bit long so.......
As I have said previously my understanding of bouldering grades is weak to non-existant, and my strength is also weak to non-existant so in an effort to develop my understanding of grades (developing strength takes to much effort) would people mind suggesting grades/probable grades(font and V) for the following slabby problems/projects at the roaches.....(I have put my guesses in brackets - they are probably very wrong)
1) Pockets slab lower tier boulders - (V4 font?)
2) Slab right of pockets slab (V? font?)
3)bobba fett (V9? font?)
4)slab left of bobba fett (V7? font?)
5)slab left again(V? font?)
6)traverse left to right to top of bobba fett (V8? font?)
7) slab right of particle exchange on the big boulder in the garden of rock cottage(V? font?)
8) Groove right of the chipped steps on the other side of this boulder (V? font?)

I am assuming number 2) hasn't been done, what about number 7)?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 10, 2003, 11:20:43 am
Did you do Bobba? I'm keen to go back and try that and no 4.

The only one I've done is no 5 and it's tricky to grade as it's very easy to go out left after the first moves which makes it quite easy.
If you go direct to the "dish" near the top of the slab, then finish direct, I reckon (after some reflection of how hard it is vs how badly I'm climbing at the mo) that it's V5, though I think on Justin's site it get's V4.

This was on one of the coldest days I can remember though, so conditions were bang-on perfect.

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 10, 2003, 11:31:26 am
yeah, done all the bobba boulder probs. I agree the left one is a bit squeezed in, easy to use the arete.
I found the middle one quite hard (but did it on a relatively warmish day) but bobba is best!
Hope conditions are good tomorrow as I am very keen to try/do the slab right of the pockets slab, tried it last weekend but the top was wet :cry:
But this weekend it will be perfect :D

Nik the optimist

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 10, 2003, 11:35:37 am
There's also the one which starts on prob 5, then follows the obvious traverse line to finish up Bobba.....

Yeah, looking forward to this weekend big style  :)

dave

#4 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 10, 2003, 11:36:01 am
I've only done the pockets one, so i recon it about whatever its given in the guide, so yeah about V3/4.

nik at work

• forum hero
#5 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 10, 2003, 11:43:42 am
problem eight on my list is ace (the smiley one). It will be a bit green but it is brill. About 6b - errrr V4?
Dunno but really really good. Start just right of the chipped steps, rock onto the slab with pure smear power.
I did it about four or five years ago, it doesn't seem to be in any guides but I am sure it will have been done before then..

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#6 Re: Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 13, 2003, 01:06:59 am
Quote from: "nik at work"

1) Pockets slab lower tier boulders - (V4 font?)

This one only about UK tech 5c (its always been waaay overgraded in past bouldering guides)- surely something around V2 / 3 is more appropriate

nik at work

• forum hero
#7 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 13, 2003, 08:16:15 am
Went to the roaches on Saturday but the lower tier boulders were all wet so no joy on the slab front :(
However the big boulder in the rockhall cottage garden was all covered in snow so after failing on higginsons arm for a bit spent some time sliding/sledging down it on a bouldering mat, lots of fun :D

justfunk_

• regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/justfunk_dj/staffscene.html
#8 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 10:47:54 am
The slab you are on about(next to pockety wall(super boulder) is a Nadin E4 6c that has not been repeated(its so green) I have got to the top but bailed! If someone will clean it then it may have a chance of being repeated?  It is hard to pull on then get very very steep to topout! probably 7a .   I keep forgetting to go back and try this damd thang! !

If you want an amazing slab then ,past the upper tier boulders keep going till you are about to start on the skyline,look directly below the first (skyline) buttress is a huge slab about 6b (V7)and very very worth while! Its an old woodwood one from the EB days ! I  Bet it was harder in them baby's.  It has a V4 right arete and V8/9 left arete which is a little highball but not too bad.  

Take care

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 10:50:15 am
Bit of a tangent here, but when you're standing on the very top of the Roaches, looking out the back towards Ramshaw, what's that big squareish block that you can see quite a way away, but not as far as Ramshaw....or was I tripping?

dave

#10 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 11:03:46 am
Isn't that The Cube, as described in the bouldering guide and 1989 guide?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 11:09:18 am
That'd sound about right, I've just never been over to it or noticed it in the guide - is it worth the walk?

nik at work

• forum hero
#12 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 12:58:42 pm
Quote from: "justfunk_"
The slab you are on about(next to pockety wall(super boulder) is a Nadin E4 6c that has not been repeated(its so green) I have got to the top but bailed!

I'm a bit confused now (doesn't take much) The slab I am talking about is the one that on your website is described as an 8a+ project. To the right of the slab with the pockets in it on the lower tier on the big boulder with the undercut dyno on it etc. Is this also a E4 6c Nadin route or is there another pockets slab? Sorry if I am being a bit thick but I haven't done a huge amount of bouldering at the roaches (other than the stuff everyone knows). I would be grateful if someone could clear this up for me.....

P.S. Has anyone tried the direct start to piece of mind? I.e. straight up the scoop to the right of the blunt arete to join piece of mind at the step right.

dave

#13 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 12:59:47 pm
Speaking of which, has anyone done The Thin Air? whats it like?

mozzer

• addict
#14 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 01:51:38 pm
My mate did it and felt it more sketchy than the Piece of Mind, apparently the rock over is well ard.

Having said that someone else i know (ssh) top roped it and found it "sustained hard but OK".

So not much help really.

Dont fancy falling off it mind

nik at work

• forum hero
#15 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 02:09:31 pm
Quote from: "dave"
Speaking of which, has anyone done The Thin Air? whats it like?

It's OK.
It is easy to get to the ripple thingy. Rocking up onto this is the crux which is also Ok if you do it confidently (as with all rock overs). I found the rach over the top a bit slopy/reachy but I am a certified short arse. (5ft6)
If you were taller the top out is probably easier, but it may make the rock-over a bit harder (I dunno).
Anyway you can go up to the ripple see how it feels and then come back down quite easily I would have thought.
You gonna try it? On-sight?
If you had a couple of mats and a tied down spotter it would probably be more of a boulder problem, without mats and spotter it feels pretty bold.
Ummmm.. can't really think of anything else except that it is a really cool route.

dave

#16 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 02:40:01 pm
We are on about going down some time soon on a bouldering tip, so i thought i could kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak. Mind, you i haven't yet got round to doing chalkstorm, so would probably do that first and see how i felt.

I take it the rockover is a kind of feet-to-hands thing? is it a smeary rockover? I am 6'1 so hopefully the top will be ok.

Onsight?

Not after all this beta!

I would probably use a couple of mats and a spotter, which i think is fair game for the ground-up, but to keep it sporting I'd probably use a lousy spotter. Only reason i fancy it is i seem to do well on routes at the roaches, what with things like wings, track, acid drop, tierdrop etc. But knowing me I'd probably get there and have a sudden rethink.....

nik at work

• forum hero
#17 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 02:50:42 pm
I don't think you've had that much beta have you? Especially given our wildly different heights.....
And I haven't told you how to do anything.
Chalkstorm is a nice little route, I'll say no more so as not to sully any attempt you may make to climb it.
Also if you like slabs try
Ou Est Le Spit (E6 at the far right of the upper tier)
Catastophe Internationale (E5/6 left end of lower tier)
Apache Dawn (E5/6 Just left again)
All solos and all slabs and all ace

dave

#18 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 03:03:27 pm
Cheers for the beyda. Probably need to get some more routes under me belt before trying any o' those.....like doing some routes full-stop!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 03:07:32 pm
Quote from: "nik at work"
...Catastophe Internationale....All solos and all slabs and all ace

That's a helluva steep slab! Looks like an evil pebbly wall to me...but then I've never got on it. Some of the topouts on that bit of the crag look like minging grass pulling - what are they like really?

nik at work

• forum hero
#20 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 03:17:18 pm
The tops are OK, the routes are just longer than they appear as the rock slopes backwards. Once you are at the grassy big the route is over. Having said that I imagine the tops can get very wet and green.
Catastrophe Internationale and Apache Dawn are definitely slabs. Just steep ones with pebble pulling but still slabs in my mind.
If you want lower grade slab routes then try Elegy - brilliant and definitely a slab by anyones definition.
When are you thinking of going there Dave as I am keen to go there and so we could meet up (and I may even remember to bring along a certain item with me..)
I will be trying to peresuade the gf to go down there (again) this w'end.

dave

#21 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 03:34:38 pm
My main G cofe was on about dropping a roaches bomb this weekend, however i think its too early to tell what the weather will do, might totally wank out. If we decide to go i'll let you know like on friday or summert....

nik at work

• forum hero
#22 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 03:51:55 pm
Quote from: "dave"
My main G cofe was on about dropping a roaches bomb this weekend, however i think its too early to tell what the weather will do, might totally wank out. If we decide to go i'll let you know like on friday or summert....

I put this into babelfish and it came up with this.

A rather spiffing suggestion has been made regarding a possible trip to The Roaches escarpment on the weekend of the 18th and 19th of this month. Whilst the group is enthusiastic about this trip it must be highlighted that there are feelings of apprehension. It is entirely possible that we may encounter inclement weather and as such the trip would be wasted as we would be unable to sample the vertical pleasures offered by this outcrop. I will advise you of our intentions upon or around friday 17th of January.
Regards
David

Babelfish has also suggested that a suitable response would be.

Bling bling daddy-o that sounds fine. I got to get me some of that. Big up yourself. I'm just hanging with my homies. Text me beetch. I is for real. Buyakasha.

Quite.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#23 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 03:55:40 pm
Hee hee!! Like that a lot!

dave

#24 Roaches slabs - Mmmmmmmm!
January 15, 2003, 04:04:31 pm
You certainly got da 2-11 on my shiznit.

Some linx you wanna get down with:
RapDictionary
Ali G Translator

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal