Thoughts on taping... (Read 3186 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Thoughts on taping...
June 21, 2004, 11:42:06 am
Sorry I know this will probably be a "dumb newbie trying to say stuff to people who know it all already" style topic, but it might be useful to someone.

I've managed to pick up a new and exciting A2 pulley injury recently, and have found one method of taping to be a lot better than the standard "tape around the lowest finger section method".

Basically the "full" method going up around the second finger section too: Wind once around the lowest section, cross diagonally along the side of the finger to the second section, wind once around there, cross diagonally along the other side of the finger and then wind twice round the lowest section.

I've found that holds the finger much more rigid, prevents crimping, and offers a lot more support than the basic method - recently I was getting a fair bit of pain with the basic method, but have pulled harder and got a lot less pain using the full method.

Just a thought  :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Thoughts on taping...
June 21, 2004, 11:44:08 am
Also have a look at the methods in here:

http://ukbouldering.com/tools.htm#tips

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#2 Thoughts on taping...
June 21, 2004, 12:02:22 pm
Ummm yup that'll be the one then  :wink:

I guess the point I'm making is that that method has been noticably better in my recent experience...

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#3 Thoughts on taping...
June 21, 2004, 08:18:20 pm
Really Fiend, you shouldn't be climbing on it if it hurts when pulling on a hold with all four fingers.  Any climbing you are doing should be for rehab purposes rather than "I'll ignore the pain and just try this thing at my limit" purposes.  I had to take 6 weeks out last year to sort out a Font inflicted A2 sprain, you should probably consider laying of yourself or you'll just make it worse.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#4 Thoughts on taping...
June 21, 2004, 09:15:03 pm
I know I know  :oops:  However, it's not hurting any more and I'm not going near the Braichmelyn boulder for another year or two  :? And I'm being real careful and not climbing to my (lowly) strength limit...

erm, sam

• forum hero
#5 taping
June 24, 2004, 12:52:48 pm
I tried the criss cross tape version last night and am quite surprised about how well it worked. I was only climbing easy juggy stuff etc, but  it still made a difference. From some pain to no pain.
I hadn't previously noticed the "how to tape" page, so thanks for bringing the subject up..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal