UKBouldering.com

Ian Hill RIP (Read 4756 times)

Paul T

• regular
Ian Hill RIP
December 30, 2012, 03:48:19 pm
Some of you oldies might have come across Ian Hill many moons ago. Ian was a Bristol based boulderer back in the day before it became fashionable to sport beanies and pads at every bloc in the country. He was instrumental in creating and running Bristol bouldering comps and was the inventor of the 'bouldering ladder'.

Ian died on Xmas Eve. He'd been suffering a series of complications from a rare and successful pancreas transplant he'd had three months ago, and had, for reasons unknown, declined suddenly.

Though no longer on the climbing scene, he was well known in local running and ballroom dancing circles, and was still generous in the time and encouragement he directed at others.

Funeral arrangements are still to be made but there will be a gathering of friends at The Miners Arms in St Werburgh's, Bristol, from 8pm on saturday 26th January. See http://www.facebook.com/events/425550054185430/ for further details.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Ian Hill RIP
December 30, 2012, 09:38:37 pm
Shit Paul that's terrible. I was following his progress on Facebook post transplant and he seemed to be in good spirits and recovering well. I used to enjoy his problem setting skills when I was Bristol based and had a good day out with him on Dartmoor. Unfortunately Bristol is a bit too far for me but I will have a beer in his memory

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2 Re: Ian Hill RIP
January 02, 2013, 01:38:48 pm
Sad news.  Went climbing with Ian a few times in the Peak some years ago.  I gave him my entire 2000AD back catalogue which pleased him no end.  Rest in Peace.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Ian Hill RIP
January 06, 2013, 09:25:13 pm
That's very sad news. I remember climbing with Ian when I first started climbing seriously when we used to go to the recently opened Bristol wall around 89/91. He was a very quiet nice guy who always had time for us young keen things. Used to occasionally bump into him in Sheffield when I moved up here for uni. Have fantastic memories of those very early days and Ian was one of those I remember most.

Phil_K

#4 Re: Ian Hill RIP
January 13, 2013, 04:15:23 pm
Ian was my brother-in-law from my first marriage.  I was married to his sister for 25 years.  I've know Ian since he was nine years old when he was a keen young fellwalker and he took his first foray on the crags in the Lake District with me.  I was hugely impressed with the way his climbing progressed and only sorry that since he moved to Bristol I saw so little of him.

In our younger days we climbed, camped and mountain biked together and even once did a mountain marathon.

I have only just heard about this today and I'm probably far to late for the funeral but if anyone has any information I would really appreciate it.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#5 Re: Ian Hill RIP
January 13, 2013, 07:51:48 pm
Phil - there is a send off on 26th January starting at 8pm. It is obviously at the Mina's

There is a FB page http://www.facebook.com/events/425550054185430/?ref=ts&fref=ts

veridien

#6 Re: Ian Hill RIP
November 01, 2013, 02:20:04 pm
I knew Ian from college in Derby ('84-87) and only recently came across this post.  Although losing contact with him a few years later, I am greatly saddened by the news of his death.  Quirky in nature he was not to everyone's taste (Marmite comes to mind) but we got on great guns and spent many hours in the Peaks clinging to rock faces with silly grins on our faces.

I spent a week bunked up with him in Snowdonia once and became a fan of dark chocolate digestives and bizarre music tastes (Ian, if you're reading, I still have the Viscious Pink, Propaganda and Comsat Angel albums).  He wore colourful clothing and a red beret was his favorite (matched his almost yellow wild hair I think).  RIP mate

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal