UKBouldering.com

UKC censorship (Read 5936 times)

ksjs

• menacing presence
UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 12:15:15 pm
I suspect I will get comments like "You're fault for using the site" and "What do you expect?" etc but when you see it or experience it first hand it strikes home that bit more. I posted this Sunday last on ukclimbing:

Subject:
Post criticising North Wales Rockfax deleted - why?

Post content:
UKC recently posted this http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=566434&new=7535888#x7535888 advertising their new North Wales guide.

Rick Sewards at 00.34 on Sunday queries the line of a route shown on one of the sample pages.

I commented "You do realise it's a Rockfax publication?" I had a look later, interested to see comments. There were none because my post had been deleted.

I have no idea if Rick's suggestion that there is a mistake with the topo is correct but I do know Rockfax have a track record of basic factual errors.

Anyone considering buying the guide should be aware of this.

This second post was then deleted and I received an email from UKC stating that it had been removed. I replied, I think this was on Monday, asking for clarification about why but haven't had a response.

I think I'm just incredulous that supposedly functioning adults can believe that this is an acceptable or constructive way to run a business or conduct affairs. My comments whilst biased are fairly mild and totally understandable on the basis of Rockfax's typical output. Although UKC / Rockfax management may not like this the response of deleting posts is pathetic  :wall:

I just wanted some kind of record hence posting here. Apologies for lowering the tone.

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 12:35:24 pm
Welcome to UKB, I doubt you'll get much comment on the above for obvious reasons.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 12:36:56 pm
You're far from lowering the tone... stuff like the above is why I don't go near UKC...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 12:37:59 pm
Whilst I understand your frustration we (Toby and I) would prefer that you didn't use UKB as a soapbox for directing criticism at UKC for well documented reasons.

Alan James is hosting a Q&A session on UKClimbing on Monday so you can direct your comments there

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=567140

In the meantime Im logpiling this

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 12:58:47 pm
If people "want some kind of record" they can go and start a free blog and write it all there.

Stubbs

#5 Re: UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 01:15:38 pm
Shark, was the reason that Alan James said he could 'av you in a fight and now you are scared?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 01:22:38 pm
 :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 01:26:54 pm

Shark, was the reason that Alan James said he could 'av you in a fight and now you are scared?

Maybe you could have a dead hang off? (Of?)
;)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#8 Re: UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 01:39:12 pm

Bring it on

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 02:03:44 pm
A physique to fell a mighty Oak?

ksjs

• menacing presence
#10 Re: UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 02:26:02 pm
Whilst I understand your frustration we (Toby and I) would prefer that you didn't use UKB as a soapbox for directing criticism at UKC for well documented reasons.

Alan James is hosting a Q&A session on UKClimbing on Monday so you can direct your comments there

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=567140

In the meantime Im logpiling this
Fair enough. I guess I'm just keen to see / hear some kind of ownership of what seems to be a very perverse culture at UKC and I felt this may be another mechanism to provoke some kind of positive response from UKC. I appreciate I am probably being very naive in this.

I have posted a question on the Q&A thread you mention. No doubt it will either be deleted or ignored.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#11 UKC censorship
October 25, 2013, 08:35:36 pm

A physique to fell a mighty Oak?

Just as long as it's not a Juniper...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal