UKBouldering.com

Warning - Blue Mountains bushfires (Read 1598 times)

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
Warning - Blue Mountains bushfires
October 20, 2013, 10:54:07 pm
I thought I'd put this here to warn anyone who may have a trip booked or be looking at climbing in the Blue Mountains in the near future.

The Blue Mountains National Park (amongst other areas) is suffering some of the worst bushfires in 45 years and these have caused widespread destruction in the area with hundreds of people losing their homes. A State of Emergency has been declared in NSW and the Park is totally closed. The fires haven't yet made it to the main 'hubs' of Blackheath or Katoomba but the weather conditions (windy with high temperatures) in the next few days may cause the three fires currently burning to join up and create a huge fire front which could force the evacuation of these areas.

So if you're coming to Oz- Go to the Grampians instead.

siderunner

• regular
  • more of a route-climber than boulderer, but hey
#1 Re: Warning - Blue Mountains bushfires
January 12, 2014, 09:26:04 am
Probably worth saying, in case anyone finds this old post, that it's now business as usual in the blue mountains. All the major climbing venues are open, none of the major towns like Blackhheath and Katoomba were damaged, and the climbing's as good as always :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#2 Re: Warning - Blue Mountains bushfires
January 12, 2014, 11:47:31 am
Yep, the Blueys would be a better option than the Gramps now, the max temperatures this week out there will be 40-43-42-40-41C. I'm staying at home where only three days will be in the forties apparently... :blink:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal