the shizzle > diet, training and injuries

Sleep

<< < (2/22) > >>

SA Chris:

--- Quote from: Nibile on October 17, 2013, 02:26:43 pm ---I think it's probably something mentally stressful rather than something physical that you can control with better lifestyle or habits.

--- End quote ---

I admit sometimes it's work related stress that keeps me awake, but often it's not mental  stress, just my brain going "hey I'm rested and up for whatever, how about this??" and I start thinking about good things; how to get a photo of a certain landscape in a certain way, how to do a boulder problem in a new way, what to do with part of the garden, a fun thing to do with the kids etc etc. And it won't shut down.

I expect Andy is right, and I've got the sleep I need, and should just start my day earlier. Trouble is I don't think I get enough sleep, and often towards the end of the day get lethargic, and struggle to make decisions, stay awake in meetings etc. Trouble is that afternoon powernaps are frowned upon here! Plus I wouldn't be popular if I got up and woke up my dearest or the kids knocking about the house in the early hours.

I make a point of using anything electronic before bed; laptop, tablet, phone or kindle, as I personally think any lit screen can affect sleep patterns, and tend to stick to printed stuff.

I've tried assorted hot drinks; camomille, horlicks etc before bed, but I still wake the same time or earlier needing to piss.  Herbal remedies seem to have little effect, and as I said I'm loathe to try anything stronger. As far as caffeine goes, i have a strong coffee about 9 am, and a cup of tea about 3pm, but nothing else.

tomtom:

--- Quote from: andy popp on October 17, 2013, 02:49:31 pm ---Chris, that sounds incredibly similar to my sleep pattern - I'm pretty happy if its 5am when I wake. If I'm right about that, then the problem is not getting to sleep but staying asleep late enough in the morning, so doing everything right in the evening isn't the issue. Mine has undoubtedly got worse with middle age - as its meant to - but I've always been an early riser, even as a teenager. It also got much worse during an especially traumatic period in my life - it settled back down from that but probably never quite returned to 'normal'.

But most importantly, I've also come to realize that actually I'm fine on the sleep I get. And that means I stress about it much less.

--- End quote ---

+1 (ish)

I rarely get more than 6 or 7 hours sleep, and I think I have "slept through" once or twice a year...

Having said that, no booze seems to help, and I play a patience game on my phone often before going to bed - it lulls my brain into repetitive boredom :)

MrsTT on the other hand will carry on doing her walrus imitations next to me for 12 hours on a stretch if not woken (lucky cow). I used to think there was something wrong with me - now I just get up and do something useful/interesting if I wake up early...

Sasquatch:
I had to cut out bed reading altogether.  There are only two things I do in my bed.  Sleep and >>>.  I found that when I would read in bed, I had a difficult time with sleep.  When I read in bed, my brain seems to get wired to function in bed, and I would wake up out of dreams at random points throughout the night.  Since I quit reading in bed, I don't seem to have that same issue.  I also meditate for about 5 minutes when I get in bad, generally trying to consciously grasp and let go of my mental to do list, including work, family, and personal to-dos.  I find it both relaxes me as i have a handle on what needs to be done, so there's no nagging feeling of something to do, and also helps me start the next day in the right state of mind. 

That said, some people function exceptionally well off short sleep.  Can you powernap at lunch? 

--- Quote from: habrich on October 17, 2013, 04:08:11 pm ---The main factors were - I think - a general absence of anything to worry about (the stressmaker-in-chief - my wife - was the other side of a large ocean for two months) plus climbing most days, so usually pretty tired.

--- End quote ---

That sounds remarkable familiar.....

psychomansam:
Wives and children are really not coming out well on this thread

*note to self*

Sasquatch:

--- Quote from: psychomansam on October 17, 2013, 05:03:35 pm ---Wives and children are really not coming out well on this thread

*note to self*

--- End quote ---
Too true....  Still wouldn't trade em though :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version