UKBouldering.com

Local Lockdowns (Read 586 times)

James Malloch

• junky
Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 02:25:19 pm
At the start of lockdown we decided to move off our boat and rented a property from some family. We're now in the process of buying a house, which we will hopefully be in by mid-November, and are considering moving back onto the boat for the last few months to save a bit of rent and get back to our old lives/community for a while.

However, the boat is in central Leeds which looks set for a possible local lock down, but I'm not quite sure what this means. Is there any consistency (lol) across what's been implemented in other areas so far?

We've now got an office space sorted so we could continue to work, but things like climbing walls would be our only form of sanity/exercise in the evenings. This would be the main thing for us as there just isn't the space to keep active whilst aboard.

It would be really useful to hear the experiences of those who've been subject to a local lockdown and what it meant you could no longer do.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 02:47:28 pm
In Leicester the lockdown meant pubs and gyms didn't reopen in line with everywhere else and for a while the line of 'essential travel only' was pushed. Pubs and the travel line were dropped swiftly but the gyms are only allowed to open from tomorrow. Visiting other peoples houses isn't allowed. It is by a distance the most stringent local lockdown yet.

Elsewhere the lockdowns have only included the element of not visiting other peoples houses with gyms and pubs remaining open and I can't see that changing in the event Leeds is classified in that group. I think you'd probably be fine on the boat.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 02:52:07 pm
We just had one in Aberdeen (I'm in Aberdeenshire).

In general, all "hospitality" was closed again, all non-essential services / shops closed again (climbing wall etc had not yet reopened anyway).

No non-essential travel into or out of the city was allowed, but everything outside of it was the same. We could go round the city on the bypass, but technically not got straight through.

Anti

• regular
  • Potato
#3 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 02:54:09 pm

In general, all "hospitality" was closed again, all non-essential services / shops closed again (climbing wall etc had not yet reopened anyway).

No non-essential travel into or out of the city was allowed, but everything outside of it was the same. We could go round the city on the bypass, but technically not got straight through.

My interpretation of the rules in England were that local lockdowns didn't impact travel for residents, but only the services etc. I may be wrong though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 04:14:55 pm
This is Scotland, the Sturgeonator is in charge.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 05:14:55 pm

My interpretation of the rules in England were that local lockdowns didn't impact travel for residents, but only the services etc. I may be wrong though.

In Bolton I believe people are now advised not to use public transport except for essential journeys. Think it was the same in Leics. 

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 05:34:15 pm
I live in Ilkley, which was in the Bradford local lockdown, and did not notice any difference - streets and cafes thronged with people.  I didn't try to visit any houses of friends / family, so it had no discernable effect on my life.

James Malloch

• junky
#7 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 07, 2020, 05:37:22 pm
Sounds like we should be fine on the whole then. Main thing for us is having access to somewhere to exercise that’s not running through the city centre. We’re really close to city bloc so that should cover us for most things.

Thanks!

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 08, 2020, 03:23:19 pm
I live in Ilkley, which was in the Bradford local lockdown, and did not notice any difference - streets and cafes thronged with people.  I didn't try to visit any houses of friends / family, so it had no discernable effect on my life.

As per the other thread, it's going to depend on the flavour of your particular restrictions:
https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1303313921483378688?s=19

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 08, 2020, 03:42:23 pm
Main thing for us is having access to somewhere to exercise that’s not running through the city centre. We’re really close to city bloc so that should cover us for most things.

Assuming it doesn't get closed.

James Malloch

• junky
#10 Re: Local Lockdowns
September 08, 2020, 03:52:24 pm
Main thing for us is having access to somewhere to exercise that’s not running through the city centre. We’re really close to city bloc so that should cover us for most things.

Assuming it doesn't get closed.

Yeah that's the worry for us. We could cope with it for a bit but if the house was delayed or fell through and we were stuck in a 15sqm space we'd very quickly go mad. Starting to miss our normal (i.e. where we usually live) a lot...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal