UKBouldering.com

Is it wrong? (Read 3085 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Is it wrong?
October 13, 2013, 04:40:11 pm
... to think "I hope somebody falls on him and breaks his legs" about a dad who is lying on the mats under the circuits wall, while his wife encourages the toddler to get in the way of people who are trying to train?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Is it wrong?
October 13, 2013, 04:51:43 pm
Yes.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Is it wrong?
October 13, 2013, 04:55:25 pm
... to think "I hope somebody falls on him and breaks his legs" about a dad who is lying on the mats under the circuits wall, while his wife encourages the toddler to get in the way of people who are trying to train?

I've had things like this happen (kids awol running amock under the wall) and after the (1) nasty stare at offending children fails to work I (2) casually wander over to the desk/workers and politely mention the problem. 2 always works - kids being hurt by fallers is something that most walls wish to avoid...

But I sympathise...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Is it wrong?
October 13, 2013, 05:20:08 pm
The toddler was on the wall cranking. No problem with her (except that she wasn't waiting her turn to get on at the start of the circuits). It was dad that was setting a shining example by lying stretched out in ham's way.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Is it wrong?
October 13, 2013, 05:32:12 pm
Jokes apart, I understand you and sympathise.
People lying around under the walls or simply not paying attention are something I really fear whenever I go a climbing wall. Competitions are especially bad for this. I rarely make it through the first hour, when it starts being packed with climbers, I leave or stop.
No crowds under the Beastmaker.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:43:22 pm by Nibile »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Is it wrong?
October 13, 2013, 05:43:09 pm
The toddler was on the wall cranking. No problem with her (except that she wasn't waiting her turn to get on at the start of the circuits). It was dad that was setting a shining example by lying stretched out in ham's way.
Couldn't you have said something like "I wouldn't lie down there mate or you're likely to get your legs broken by someone landing on you, i've seen it happen..." or something similarly diplomatic?

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#6 Re: Is it wrong?
October 13, 2013, 06:49:34 pm

I've had things like this happen (kids awol running amock under the wall) and after the (1) nasty stare at offending children fails to work I (2) casually wander over to the desk/workers and politely mention the problem. 2 always works - kids being hurt by fallers is something that most walls wish to avoid...

But I sympathise...

Number 2 :agree:

Saying something to help the guy out invariably ends in them being a dick (audibly, instead of just visually).

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Is it wrong?
October 13, 2013, 07:30:43 pm
Saying something to help the guy out invariably ends in them being a dick (audibly, instead of just visually).

I have actually had positive results in the past informing obvious civilians that they were in danger - or putting their kids in danger - without being aware of it.

This guy had climbing shoes on though and so should have known better. And I was in a shitty mood anyway, for various unrelated reasons.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Is it wrong?
October 14, 2013, 09:54:05 am
We should have a thread called "#is it OK?" as per The Last Leg!

In answer to your question, yes it's OK to hope that, stupid people only learn by pain. See also people stretching on the mats and kids thinking it's OK to try and do somersaults directly underneath you.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#9 Re: Is it wrong?
October 14, 2013, 10:37:52 am
is it wrong to hope evolution works its magic and eleminates the the bad apples?  hmm not really  :lol: 

but defo say something next time or stand back and give the parent space and a paddington bear hard stare at least.  I've climbed at a wall that had some very good climbing parents and sadly on this occasion their toddlers treated it as soft play.  running like loons.  they continued to climb, I just politely joked, your kids have a lot of energy (cue wry smile and knowing look) and then they rounded them up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal