UKBouldering.com

Whaley Bridge crags (Read 3934 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
Whaley Bridge crags
October 11, 2013, 03:05:58 pm
I've just moved out to Whaley Bridge from Manchester, so am much nearer all the classic peak crags, but was just wondering if there are any little spots around Whaley Bridge for quick evening hits? I see that there are few bigs crags around like Castle Naze and Windgather, but there doesn't seem to be much bouldering in the area. Anyone out there with some local knowledge. Cheers in advance.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 11, 2013, 04:25:26 pm
I have heard of folk bouldering in the small quarry to the right of windgather but I have not done so my self, and I doubt it would sustain you for long. Can't be more than 20 mins to Newstones etc from Whalley though can it?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 11, 2013, 04:43:48 pm
Thats listed, unsurprisingly, as Windgather Quarry on peakbouldering.info

New Mills Tor isn't too far away and often stays dry in the rain.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 11, 2013, 04:57:36 pm
Falling Down used to live just up the road from there, so I suspect he's got the local low down... New Mills is OK for an evening work out - but I tend to drive on by and head up to the Peak..

JamieG

• forum hero
#4 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 11, 2013, 05:13:16 pm
Cheers for the quick replies. Yeah I'd had a look at peakbouldering.info but there isn't much on there for windgather (i.e. zilch). Maybe I'll just have to head towards the roaches for newstones etc as suggested.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#5 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 11, 2013, 05:17:46 pm
new mills tor is pretty good for a local venue.
Windgather is a good spot with plenty of easy soloing and some easy bouldering at either end of the crag. Not been castle naze yet.
Might be worth getting high over buxton for local esoteric stuff if you like that sort of thing

redcal

#6 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 14, 2013, 09:18:04 pm
I'm Chapel based (just up the rd) 2nd the new mills suggestions, good for a work out,dry and a nice way to work a few cruxes on the trad routes. You could be at the roaches within 30 mins tho.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 14, 2013, 09:36:36 pm
Not a lot of proper bouldering locally but as the others have said...

- Some great traversing and up problems at NMT, really worthwhile and better than the wall when it's drizzly.
- Wingather has some bouldering at the LH end, in the quarried section in the middle and the quarry at the RH end
- Not much at Castle Naze or on Chinley Churn.

Whaley's brilliantly placed for loads of bouldering and routes by car though, Cheedale, Raven Tor and Rubicon/cragx are less than 15-20 mins away; Staffs 20-30 mins; Stoney and Eastern Edges 45 mins, Oldham 1hr; Harmers and Merseyside 1hr etc etc.

All of its Flippin' miles closer to West London!

mrconners

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 14, 2013, 09:44:11 pm
 I live on in whaley and agree with everyones posts. New mills is your best bet.  The rest are ok for soloing.

A drive into the peak proper  will be needed if you want any real quality.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 14, 2013, 10:31:43 pm
I grew up in Whaley. Pre car days I would run to NMT, Windgather and Castle Naze quite regularly. I never found any other outcrops. There is a Black Rocks up towards Disley on OS maps, but it is laughably poor. I recommend NMT full traverse for a good work out.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#10 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 15, 2013, 08:52:59 am
You're only 8 miles from Peak Forest so could be at the parking for Conies Dale in 15 mins. Reckon this would be a great summer workout crag for locals. Quite climbing wall style and loads of scope for training links and eliminates. Does seep thought. I dare say the bit below the break is probably wet now until next year.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 15, 2013, 11:48:00 am
A drive into the peak proper upto yorkshire will be needed if you want any real quality.

JamieG

• forum hero
#12 Re: Whaley Bridge crags
October 15, 2013, 11:48:40 am
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get myself down New Mills then. I've been to Conies a couple of times and it certainly is a good summer spot. Sure i'll find myself there more next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal