technical > computers, technology and the internet

New laptop advice

(1/9) > >>

dunnyg:
Need some help picking a laptop out for the lady. Loads out there, and I dont really know whats good in lap tops. Spec wanted is

- 11-13 inch screen
- lightweight
- good battery life
- non of this touch screen b/s
- decent keyboard-one with keys that go down, none of that touch stuff
- can handle usual - MS office, video streaming/skyping etc.

something around £500ish is good, but willing to pay more if it actually makes a difference

Any advice? What would you get if you were in the market.....

cheers!

psychomansam:
I'm not the most up to speed, but this spec looks half decent:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Vostro-3360-13-3-i5-3337U-1-8GHz-500GB-6GB-Windows-7-Pro-3-Year-Warranty-/141076973019?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item20d8d7c5db

More to the point, this is my recommended method of buying a laptop. It's how I've got my last two and it's been brilliant. On-site 3 years warranty's are golden. I wouldn't get a laptop without one. The fact that it's refurbished means nothing. It's worth far more than a brand new one with a shitty backtobase 1yr warranty.

slackline:

--- Quote from: dunnyg on October 01, 2013, 07:37:12 pm ---Need some help picking a laptop out for the lady. Loads out there, and I dont really know whats good in lap tops. Spec wanted is

- 11-13 inch screen
- lightweight
--- End quote ---

This suggests looking at Ultrabooks, although because of the small size.  They're very thin, my Zenbook UX21 is 9mm at the thickest point, 3mm at the thinnest when closed.  The battery last around four to five hours of continuous (modereate) usage (less if I'm compiling large packages or number crunching), so not sure if that meets...

--- Quote from: dunnyg on October 01, 2013, 07:37:12 pm ---- good battery life

--- End quote ---

...but they spring to life in seconds after closing the lid, so just shutting it for a few minutes away isn't a hinderence.

--- Quote from: dunnyg on October 01, 2013, 07:37:12 pm ---- non of this touch screen b/s

--- End quote ---
[

Newer versions to have touch-screen, but shop around and you can probably find older non-touch screens which will be cheaper.

--- Quote from: dunnyg on October 01, 2013, 07:37:12 pm ---- decent keyboard-one with keys that go down, none of that touch stuff

--- End quote ---

Its not a metal keyboard (as the reviews hastily point out as there is little else to criticise) but its fine to use.

--- Quote from: dunnyg on October 01, 2013, 07:37:12 pm ---- can handle usual - MS office, video streaming/skyping etc.

--- End quote ---

Unless you buy an old second hand one this will never be a problem on any new computer you buy.

--- Quote from: dunnyg on October 01, 2013, 07:37:12 pm ---something around £500ish is good, but willing to pay more if it actually makes a difference

--- End quote ---

Picked up mine a year ago as a refurbished unit for around this price, not sure what they are currently going for.  Look around at other Ultrabooks too, they're great.

--- Quote from: dunnyg on October 01, 2013, 07:37:12 pm ---Any advice? What would you get if you were in the market.....
--- End quote ---

Got mine from dabs, but check also ebuyer, Scan, Dell outlet and other manufacturers direct for refurbished.

tomtom:
Make sure its oen with the new series of Intel Haswell processors (or whatever they are now called). WHilst not step chance in performance, this latest gen processors gives 70% better battery life... Its starting to trickle down into Laptops now, so some do, some dont have it..

slackline:
That will of course push the price up.

Maybe this will be useful in helping make the decision http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-windows-ultrabook/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version