UKBouldering.com

Ousel's Nest Cleanup Day (Read 2471 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Ousel's Nest Cleanup Day
April 25, 2014, 04:43:59 pm
The steep quarried grit of Ousel's Nest in Bolton is due a makeover. Recently Tim Greenhalgh and a few others have put in the hours to clean up the crag. UU has done some tree felling, tops have been cleaned, holds have been brushed and ferns removed. There's still a bit to do, but mainly it needs some traffic.

On 10th of May it's Ousel's Nest Day. Come along, do some routes, have a go on the slackline, do some bouldering - should be a good crack. There are some easier slabby routes, some lower grade cracks, some fierce E grades (Pigeon Toad Orange Peel is a 3 star E5 crack that rarely gets attention - blog link) and some projects. It's a good option now that the weather is getting a bit warm for natural grit.

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/events/1463772453837342/?fref=ts

Here's a pic of the hardcore end of the crag, which has some projects still to do. These look pretty good to me - stiff face climbing with just enough holds (left of ladder) and a desperate crack (right of ladder). E8 and E7?

And some bouldering. This is a 7A+

This is an E4 6a, done in 1990. I've been trying to boulder out the bottom. I've got to where it gets a bit scary (moving up from position in the photo) and so far it's about 7B/+. I predict 7C to the end of the hard climbing. Something must have fallen off. Really good moves though.

And this one's an E2 5c down at the right end.

The three star E5 (see blog link above)

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1 Re: Ousel's Nest Cleanup Day
May 07, 2014, 10:22:21 pm
Should be down about 10...

You didn't mention your E6 Robin?

Edit: whoops that might be because your post was before you climbed it... errrrrr

r-man

• forum hero
#2 Re: Ousel's Nest Cleanup Day
May 08, 2014, 01:29:35 pm
Yes, it's marked project in the first pic, the one just right of the ladder. Really pleased to do it - I don't get on a rope often, so it was an exciting experience! Hopefully it will get some attention - the boulder problem start and two bomber bits of gear make it a very amenable redpoint for anyone bouldering 7A+/7B.

If you are coming to boulder, bring a saw if you've got one. UU have marked some branches for us to chop. The plan is for everyone to do a bit of cleaning at the beginning of the day, then get on with climbing after that. Hopefully the rain won't spoil our fun!

r-man

• forum hero
#3 Re: Ousel's Nest Cleanup Day
May 08, 2014, 04:52:39 pm
Just heard from Tim that despite all the rain, the crag is bone dry!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ousel's Nest Cleanup Day
May 08, 2014, 05:46:48 pm
Crag looks good. Damn I miss quarried grit  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal