UKBouldering.com

Wanted: Ipad mini (Read 4242 times)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 12:39:40 pm
I'm after an Ipad mini to take to the US with me.

Obviously there's a new version coming out in less than a month but I need one before the 3rd October.

Maybe there's a UKB user thinking of upgrading who'd welcome this prime opportunity to offload theirs?

PM me with a price if so!  :thumbsup:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 04:16:22 pm
What you using it for? Are you a committed fanboi? New Nexus 7 is in many ways better. Cheaper, higher res, more powerful. £199.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 04:52:34 pm
Buy one in the States? You'll instantly save 20% (vat) if not more.... (on either mini or nexus)

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#3 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 05:15:38 pm
What you using it for? Are you a committed fanboi? New Nexus 7 is in many ways better. Cheaper, higher res, more powerful. £199.
I know what you're saying, and on paper i agree with you, b ut once you've used an ipad, all other tablets just feel shite.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#4 Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 05:36:42 pm
I thought posting on here would throw up some alternative ideas! I imagine Slackline will have a link to a Linux-based option involving a Raspberry Pi and a Wilko's clipframe shortly. ;)

I wouldn't call myself a fanboi (although I am a mac user)- the Ipad has full HD video recording which would extend it's usefulness beyond the trip- the Nexus 7 doesn't. Maybe other alternatives do?

Main use while on the trip is for skyping my girlfriend but it'll be handy for Ebooks, internet etc. too of course.

Getting one over there is an interesting idea but I'm not sure whether I can be bothered electronics shopping in the city on a rest day- I was planning on going a little more native: chewing tobacco, whittling, driving my hired SUV through mud hollers etc...

dave

#5 Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 05:55:53 pm
Get on the apple refurb site, you'll get a decent deal on there but with full support and warranty n shit.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#6 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 06:21:43 pm
hd is a complete gimmick when filmed through a piece of plastic. I dont like reading on my iPad2. a kindle would be better by a long margin

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 06:27:48 pm
I imagine Slackline will have a link to a Linux-based option involving a Raspberry Pi and a Wilko's clipframe shortly. ;)

All Android devices are running Linux kernels.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 06:55:45 pm

I just bought one and have been tempted to snap it over my knee multiple times due to unexplained reboots and hassle getting a correct/stable version of jelly bean out of the box!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 07:37:01 pm
Thats crap, return it for a replacement?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#10 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 23, 2013, 11:41:00 pm
I have spent the last three weeks in an apartment with 3 other climbers.
Between us we had a Samsung (10in tablet not sure of model), a nexus 7 and a iPad 2 (full size).
The person who did not bring a tablet said my nexus 7 was the easiest to use and preferred to the other tablets.

I have been very happy with mine. I have taken it on several climbing and work trips and use it every day at home.
Just saying

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#11 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 24, 2013, 07:59:23 am
hd is a complete gimmick when filmed through a piece of plastic.

What he said. HD output is just there to look good on the spec sheet. The lens is not good enough to gain a benefit, so instead you get bigger files that look shit. Great 'feature' apple.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#12 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 24, 2013, 09:45:00 am
Cheers for the knowledge everyone.  :thumbsup: For the record, I hadn't expected to make films with just the Ipad camera, but thought it'd be useful to have something that could be pushed into use as an auxiliary camera if need be and produce the right size (resolution-wise) footage.

Basically I need to get a tablet to communicate with my girlfriend while away and anything else that it can do will be a bonus. It may well be sold after I come back as the only domestic advantage I can think it'll bring will be the ability to use the internet upstairs in my flat- something I've only ever had a desire for when ill in bed!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 24, 2013, 10:31:11 am
Why a tablet?  Smartphones could do everything a tablet does, "facetime" if on iFern/Skype/any other VoIP or video conferencing software, email/Instant Messaging via Hangouts/WhatsApp/etc. etc. or anything else you choose and high resolution filming if you pick the right model.  Smaller so less bulk to carry and could be useful beyond the trip.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 24, 2013, 11:53:50 am
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Which gen? Some searching shed some light on my issues and simply put Google screwed up and shipped the 2nd gen with a development build and their 'fix' is less than elegant. You're forced to do an OTA upgrade/patch which removes the development keys mid-setup which makes a mess of it and breaks the real OTA upgrade if you've got that far. For me I was left with a half-upgraded tab that crashed once a minute and which didn't even have the default wallpaper. It also claimed to be fully updated. It took 4 factory resets to work around it and get a successful, fully up to date bud. Ridiculous.

IanP

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 24, 2013, 12:26:00 pm
Which gen? Some searching shed some light on my issues and simply put Google screwed up and shipped the 2nd gen with a development build and their 'fix' is less than elegant. You're forced to do an OTA upgrade/patch which removes the development keys mid-setup which makes a mess of it and breaks the real OTA upgrade if you've got that far. For me I was left with a half-upgraded tab that crashed once a minute and which didn't even have the default wallpaper. It also claimed to be fully updated. It took 4 factory resets to work around it and get a successful, fully up to date bud. Ridiculous.

Sounds like a real mess up.  On the positive side my daughters first gen Nexus has been/is a great bit of kit and has had no problems in 9 months of near continuous use so hopefully you'll have something good going forwards.

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 24, 2013, 02:43:31 pm
Absolutely, now it seems truly great. However, I'd struggle to recommend even a Google android device to someone such as my parents (and they're asking) based on my experience.

On the plus side I believe most of the affected tablets are coming from bestbuy.

User profiles seem like a good (android) addition if anyone is sharing the device.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#17 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 24, 2013, 04:36:38 pm
Why a tablet?  Smartphones could do everything a tablet does, "facetime" if on iFern/Skype/any other VoIP or video conferencing software, email/Instant Messaging via Hangouts/WhatsApp/etc. etc. or anything else you choose and high resolution filming if you pick the right model.  Smaller so less bulk to carry and could be useful beyond the trip.

Simply 'cos a tablet's bigger than a smartphone. Not a fan of little screens.

In fact, having persuaded colleagues to let me use their Ipads today I've decided it's actually a 9" rather than 7" tablet I'd like- the screen on the current-model full-size Ipad I've been fiddling with all afternoon is fucking incredible and I've given myself an eyestrain trying to see the individual pixels  :blink: If anyone's got one of those they're looking to sell (or, more likely a wealth of complex advice about potentially superior alternatives  ;)) I'm all ears.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#18 Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 24, 2013, 04:43:52 pm
Absolutely, now it seems truly great. However, I'd struggle to recommend even a Google android device to someone such as my parents (and they're asking) based on my experience.

You definitely had some bad luck there. Having used my 1st gen Nexus7 for over a year I recently thought I would do a factory reset and reinstall, not because it was running slow rather it was getting full of crap and I was bored...it was so smooth and easy to the point of being boring. One of the most impressive features of Android is how much it backs up online, so if your not careful after a full wipe, a device will rebuild itself including all the app clutter you were trying to get rid of!
 :slap:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#19 Re: Re: Wanted: Ipad mini
September 24, 2013, 07:27:00 pm

You definitely had some bad luck there.

No change there then!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal