UKBouldering.com

Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives (Read 6927 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 09:16:13 am
Seeing as the Pontas doesn't appear to be available any more, does anybody know how the Bandit SC compare? Apparently they're a good and comfortable shoe but are they as stiff as the Pontas are? Are there any shoes similar to the Pontas for fit? The next best thing I can think of is the Anasazi velcro, which are great shoes but the heel is huge. I have skinny feet so Scarpa are like flippers on me. I'd appreciate any suggestions ta!

Wood FT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 09:18:12 am
Have you tried tenayas before Andy?

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 09:20:33 am
10 or more years ago, and wasn't impressed... Are they better these days?

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 09:59:19 am
I am a big fan of the Bandit SC, I switched to them for my main shoe from Anasazi Velcros as I found the fit slightly better/more comfortable (especially in the heel) with seemingly no loss in performance and they are £20-30 cheaper.  I went half a size up in the Bandits from Anasazi (street shoes 9.5, Anasazi 7.5, Bandits 8).  Not sure how they compare to the Pontas, I found the Pontas a little/flat/clumpy, especially in the toe area when I have tried them on.

One of the main things I like about them is they are pretty stiff (compared to most other shoes) and the toe is a good shape for getting into small pockets (slightly pointy), if you have skinny feet you might also want to try the lace up as the fit is a little different.  Occasionally I switch to a Dragon/Team for very steep stuff but 95% of the time don't feel the need to.

A friend of mind has just switched to Miura Velcros from Pontas so presumably the fit is not too dissimilar?

abarro81

• forum hero
#4 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 10:04:37 am
I have thin, low volume feet with a disproportionately large big toe, in scarpas I find the instinct lace works well for me when cinched right down (not being imported at the mo tho) and more recently the booster s fits well too. Booster s is soft, boostic is stiff and fits a bit lower volume too if u like stiff. Stix, instinct vs etc all way too wide as a comparison.

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 10:47:05 am
Interesting to note that some Scarpas work for small feet (albeit with a freaky toe which I don't have) so may look into that. Are they down-turned though? You're probably not the best person to ask, but hopefully someone else may know, how do they fare on gritty smears?

Cheers sidewinder, good information. Have you tried the Anasazi LV? I guess they're probably the closest comparison to the Pontas.

Might be worth noting at this point that I don't know how to tie shoe laces.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 11:02:47 am
I've got narrow ish feet as well and find sportiva to be the best fit for me. Any of them really

abarro81

• forum hero
#7 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 11:15:20 am
Are they down-turned though? You're probably not the best person to ask, but hopefully someone else may know, how do they fare on gritty smears?

Yeah, not the best person to ask about using them on grit! In my experience though, the instinct slipper is my favourite for the grit due to being the softest and most sensitive of the bunch that I've used. Fits narrower than the vs by a long way, but still might be an issue for a low volume foot, they only just work for me. Boostic would be too stiff. Booster S is quite downturned, especially as with narrow feet you'll likely size them quite tight. They're ace on steep sport/bouldering but probably not ideal for smeary grit.

andy_e

• forum hero
#8 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 11:18:46 am
Still useful information though as I'll no doubt soon be in the market for a new pair of steep shoes too, cheers!

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 11:21:04 am
Cheers sidewinder, good information. Have you tried the Anasazi LV? I guess they're probably the closest comparison to the Pontas.
Never tried the LV as the normal ones fit me well, the lace up Bandits definitely seem lower volume, but do have laces.

chris j

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 01:04:50 pm
I used to use Pontas and moved on to Scarpa Vapour Velcros after, which were a broadly similar fit but baggy in the heel. The last pair I had were quite clumpy (more so than I recall the previous two pairs) and I wouldn't have thought they'd be good for grit smears until they were pretty much ready for the first resole (great for overhanging limestone sport). I've just bought some Tenaya Oasi which are a narrower fit than the Vapours with a tighter heel. Softer but quite downturned so again probably not so good for slabby smearing. Only used them indoors so far, very precise.

psychomansam

• forum hero

andy_e

• forum hero
#12 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
February 24, 2015, 02:11:27 pm
Darn! Got me excited there, alas they lack my size! Cheers though.

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
September 02, 2015, 09:09:24 am
How deep are the heels on Anasazi LV these days? I remember trying them on when they used to be blue about five years ago. Has their shape changed much since then?

cha1n

• forum hero
#14 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
September 02, 2015, 09:52:00 am
Aren't they currently blue or did they temporarily go a different colour and then back to blue? No clue on the heel sorry as they don't make LVs in my size but they certainly look the same as the VCS heel, which I think is really good.

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
September 02, 2015, 09:54:04 am
They used to be a deeper purply-blue and are now a turquoise. If the heels were just a tighter version of the VCS they'd be perfect but when I tried them on years ago they were both tighter and shallower, and the shallow aspect was no good for me.

JM

#16 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
September 04, 2015, 09:29:46 pm
If by coincidence they are your size I'm selling a pair of pontas.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?action=post;topic=25741.0;last_msg=485079

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
September 04, 2015, 09:58:12 pm
Alas no, but thanks! I'm an 8.

andy_e

• forum hero
#18 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
September 11, 2015, 09:46:21 am
Does anyone actually know where I can try on a pair of Anasazi LVs in the north-east or Yorkshire area? I can only find Cotswold and they don't go up to size 8...

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
September 24, 2015, 07:31:47 am
I prefer the Bandit to Pontas, find them a little more sensitive and also prefer the heel. Think when I made the change I wore the same size, I have since gone up by half a size but I think this is more to do with wanting a comfier shoe rather than fit changing. I size the same as sidewinder - street uk7, Bandit UK5.5 so a 1.5 size change. The lace up has pretty much the same last/shape and the advantage of more adjustability but I find them a little flatter once they have got worn/older - the middle strap on the Velcro keeps them a bit more sporty somehow (still a 'flat' shoe).

Bandits not on the Evolv website anymore but I have spoken with the guys at Beyond Hope and been told they are still doing them and also went round the factory near LA in Nov and was speaking with the owner and the main designer and told them they must keep them - they agreed and said they were but it might have just been to shut me up...  Got to make a few pairs of boots which was pretty interesting.

Not sure about other brands, from looking on the shelves it seems the only other decent flat shoes are from 5.10.

andy_e

• forum hero
#20 Re: Evolv Pontas vs. Bandit or alternatives
September 24, 2015, 08:57:13 am
Thanks Mocha, useful information. Perhaps I should have waited a week to buy shoes as there's now a) extra information and b) a pair of Anasazis in my size for less than what I paid for them. Sod's law.

I ended up getting a pair of Anasazi LV and normal Anasazis in the same size to try them on and send back the pair I didn't want. I ended up keeping both of them! The Pontas heel sits in between the Anasazi and LV in terms of tightness. The LV heel is probably just right, it does feel like it doesn't come high enough up my heel but it is nice and tight. It feels similar to a tighter Nexxo heel, which also seems shallow, but actually works surprisingly well. I haven't used the LV outside yet (I can only wear them for about five minutes without causing my feet to implode) but I think they're going to be a very precise shoe. The normal Anasazis are great and I really like them but the heel is a little bit baggy, although it feels tighter than the pair I had five years ago. Not an issue though as I have two pairs of shoes with better heels if necessary. Plus the bonus with the Anasazis is that every time I wear them I feel like an old-school grit guru and my technique improves fivefold.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal