UKBouldering.com

Why do we do it? (Read 1679 times)

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
Why do we do it?
June 11, 2004, 01:28:07 pm
Does anybody else ever get that 'why the fuck am I doing this' thing going on.  I am seriously considering completeing a couple of bug bears and then plaining out into getting fat and not worrying about 'getting stronger'.  Saying that, I'll probably be obsessed again by the morning.  Is it just a fleeeting glimpse of reality, having not climbed all week, or would it be a simple transition into not caring anymore?  Weird.

jimbo

• addict
#1 Why do we do it?
June 11, 2004, 01:41:24 pm
Word Chris, know exactley what you mean. Having not climbed for 4 weeks it is pretty cool just to do normal stuff with out feeling  the pressure to going climbing and inevitably getting schooled and disillusioned and thinking whats the feckin point. Reckon regaining psyche is just the way it goes. Was thinking of blazing a come back trail this weekend but have since had an offer to go and get leathered.............cheers

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Why do we do it?
June 11, 2004, 01:41:34 pm
Can't say i've every really felt like that. However over the 15 years i've been climbing i've seen a lot of climber who just seem to loose motivation all of a sudden and just drift out of it. Are you sure this hasn't got anything to do with a new generation of mutants wreaking havoc in what was for a long time c.j.d's cave :wink: ?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Why do we do it?
June 11, 2004, 01:43:40 pm
I think it's probably a temporary mood thing... Like if you're doing something you're not inspired by, just for the sake of it, or if you're getting too obssessed and caught up in something and losing the enjoyment, it can all seem very pointless, plodding on, ticking the numbers....like a routine.

But I think the genuine desire, inspiration, and motivation comes back. Maybe after you've taken a break, maybe after you've gone through a neccessary period of "routine" climbing (to confirm that you need to do it for the right reasons), once something fresh comes along.

It all sort of ebbs and flows, really.

Doylo

• forum hero
#4 Why do we do it?
June 11, 2004, 02:13:02 pm
Just think  "the dominator",  should keep you physced chris :wink:
Everyone loses the faith now an again, its quite worrying when it happens though cos you think 'fuck what am i doing with my life'. best just to cast your mind back to former glories till everythings rosy again

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#5 Why do we do it?
June 11, 2004, 02:14:43 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Can't say i've every really felt like that. However over the 15 years i've been climbing i've seen a lot of climber who just seem to loose motivation all of a sudden and just drift out of it. Are you sure this hasn't got anything to do with a new generation of mutants wreaking havoc in what was for a long time c.j.d's cave :wink: ?

I've seen that too especially with people that work for a climbing wall.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#6 Why do we do it?
June 11, 2004, 04:25:28 pm
Sorry!  Didn't mean it to sound like a sob story!!  You do loose the psyche now and again, which I think has to do with new busy job scenario.  Strong kids in said cave I can deal with as they are just a bunch of technical faggots with no real 'beef'.  (Jamie - justs taking the piss there!).  Saying all that, I'm off to send the BowderStone project tomorrow (hopefully), so I think I'm just having one of those days.  Definatley a weird one.  Yes Chris, the Dominator does make me eager to not get as fat as I was going to get!  Iawn te, time for a swift one 'Apres work' style.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#7 Why do we do it?
June 11, 2004, 07:53:17 pm
Pull yerself together, ya big jessy! Okay, so you're no longer 'King of the cave', and you're losing your looks, and no-one laughs at yer jokes anymore, and you're starting to feel awkward in yer skate yoof clothing and no-one seems to understand you anymore.

Just get yerself a tweed jacket, some sturdy breeches and come out hunting with me. A nice flat cap and a half cocked shotgun, hip flask of Talisker and some green wellies with a little buckle near the top, a silk cravatte in a slightly racy colour - I bet you're feeling better already!

Bouldering is a boys game; Hunting was made for Men (of a certain age of course).

Lets go blast some squirrels and sparrows, or failing that we could line some tinnies up on the quarry wall and let rip with the full bore.  :twisted:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal