UKBouldering.com

Contrast Training For Power and Explosiveness (Read 8656 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Yes, the weighted sets I did were maximal. 1 rep with the second being close to impossible.
For the future I think to mix the contrast training with the paused sets.
Maybe one session each.
Sadly can't plan anything since I never know when I'll have time to hit the gym, and I can't train as well at home due to lack of room for the legs for the one armers. I'll try though.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
Can I ask what a paused set is?

So I just did this again today, a month after the first time i tried it.

after a light warm up, i did a plyometric pullup for "control". Not bad, not amazing.

I then warmed up more and did 2x27.5kg which was definitely my max.

I rested 30s as prescribed and then i did my plyometric pullups.. and there was absolutely no change from the control.  :(

my impression of the contrast training so far is that it may help in the short term in terms of increasing recruitment-- i think my baseline pullups and jumps now are better than a month ago-- but it's unlike weight training where you can get continuous gains as long as you keep at it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:45:22 pm by krymson »

a dense loner

• forum hero
what? that is the biggest untruth i've ever heard! continuous gains if you keep at it

its the same as everything else, when its new you adapt quick and then it gets harder and harder. so lets take a natural 7b climber theres no way of knowing what level he'd progress to if he doesn't try. i mean with people saying oh yeh johnny was such a natural he could have done 8a in 3mths. if he hasn't done it then its a moot nonsense point

krymson

• obsessive maniac
what? that is the biggest untruth i've ever heard! continuous gains if you keep at it

its the same as everything else, when its new you adapt quick and then it gets harder and harder. so lets take a natural 7b climber theres no way of knowing what level he'd progress to if he doesn't try. i mean with people saying oh yeh johnny was such a natural he could have done 8a in 3mths. if he hasn't done it then its a moot nonsense point

Ok ok ill keep at it for a bit longer   :lol:

Kinda fun to do pullups with a big weight hanging off   :strongbench:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Paused sets are sets in which there is a pause after each rep. You should completely relax the muscle, to the point of putting the weight down (not always possible). The adviced pause time is 3 seconds.
When completing the negative phase of a movement (going down in a pull up), the muscle is naturally overstretched; its elastic component makes the muscle naturally contrapt to regain its original length, easing off (starting) the first part of the positive phase (contraption) of the following rep.
The pause allows for the muscle to lose all its elastic energy. This makes each rep harder to start and the overall excercise harder.

All the above is what I got from what I read and have been told. Could have easily misunderstood.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal