UKBouldering.com

Barbecued Nose - Sun Protection Suggestions? (Read 2728 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
My nose is big, lumpy and ugly but that's not the major issue. It seems to catch every watt of solar radiation and turn into something that resembles an overcooked sausage at the slightest hint of sun. (I'm currently nursing a nice patchwork of brown sploges, pink patches and nice white blisters hmmm....lovely)

Any thoughts on sun protection when wearing a climbing helmet? I'm thinking along the lines of golf-style visor, plain baseball cap or even a welder's cap.

Yours, Crusty.

tomtom

• forum hero
Boots kids range all day 'once' factor 50. Small tube (easy to carry around) and test driven by my fair skin in Australia and at Altitude when working in Tenerife.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I just wear a light cap under my helmet.

Sun protection for hot multipitch routes is a tricky one in general. I bought a Rab Boreas shirt shirt "designed to offer fantastic sun protection when climbing". Totally useless. Far too hot and sweaty. I'm inclining towards just a basic polyester short sleeved shirt. And a polyester bandana hung off the back of my helment. And sunglasses. And SPF50 cream and/or SPF50 lipstcik on my nose. And bugger what I look like in the photos.

galpinos

• forum hero
Colin Haley style nose protector?

Welders caps aren't great, the peak is a bit rubbish. I'd have though a lightweight running style cap would be the answer, plus a shed load of sunscreen.

jmews

• regular
http://sunzapper.com/Zinc-Sticks.html zinc sticks always work well for me.

Alternatively, and if you are ready for potential ridicule (which, let's face it, is better than the risks involved with repeated sun exposure and burns), there is always DA BRIM! http://www.dabrim.com

tomtom

• forum hero
Ha ha - the old 'toilet seats' :) Have to wear them on site in Oz on a hard hat...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal