UKBouldering.com

Glastonbury fashion parade? (Read 2965 times)

mrconners

• menacing presence
Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 07:15:20 am
Whats Glastonbury festival like?
I used to go to loads of music events as a yoof and enjoyed most of them. But as I creep into middle age it seems the things creep into being more like corporate advertising events.
A case of people telling you its brilliant because they paid £200 for a ticket and its too expensive not too be brilliant so they just gloss over the shite.
Or is it brilliant?
I would like to go out if curiosity. But I think I would just get annoyed.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 07:21:28 am
It might seem expensive, but It is actually very good value for money considering the price you get charged to see one band on an evening with one, maybe two support acts.  The variety is huge and I always discovered some great bands I wouldn't have heard of (first went in 1998 and subsequently another five or six times upto around 2004/5).

mrconners

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 07:26:09 am
I must admit that I did get into the flaming lips from going to reading in 1990 and they have entertained je with soje amazing shows for years. Plus the dance tents are always good.
I should stop being so miserable.

crimp

#3 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 07:38:52 am
My teenage daughter, and other yoof i know are well in to music festivals, but they tend to spurn Glasto, and go to smaller localler festivals. They're cheaper, less corporate, and seem to be considered much cooler these days.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 07:43:09 am
Isnt Glasto now considered a bit 'farm shop' nowadays? ;)

(I am an old miserable sad middle class bastard by the way..)

Eddies

• forum hero
#5 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 08:02:06 am
I went to Glastonbury 2009,10 & 11 and loved every one of them.
Its alot less corporate than most festivals and your free to wander the site at your leasure unlike V-Festival which I went to in 2011 also which seemed to be full of chavy kids urinating everywhere listening to pop music! Your hearded about alot at V and cant take your own booze to the stages.. once your in your in. Where as Glasto you can do what you want when you want as long as you respect the place.

Glasto is more of what I expected from a festival... V was the complete opposite.

mrconners

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 08:36:25 am
Isnt Glasto now considered a bit 'farm shop' nowadays? ;)

(I am an old miserable sad middle class bastard by the way..)

;D

Its the picture of a load of Hunter wellies on the BBC site that set me off. And apparently there is a laughing Yoga tent. Oh dear.

I will enjoy it from my front room whilst drinking boxed red wine from Tesco. Seems that I'm a bit of a sad bast*rd really.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 08:42:34 am
Where as Glasto you can do what you want when you want as long as you respect the place.

I always remember buying four cans off some random guy selling them from his wheelbarrow.  I turned round to leave and he called me back saying "I think you dropped something" and he handed me back five tabs of acid I'd dropped that had fallen out of my wallet (I proceeded to drop them in the correct fashion over the next few days).

Very friendly place.  The cabaret shows at various sites are great too.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#8 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 12:34:33 pm
I went from '97 to 2000. I think 2000 was the last year before they put up a big fence that's actually effective in stopping people just jumping over. It was a bit like cities like Bangkok where the official population is a a total underestimate due to the huge amounts of people who are 'off the books'.

Despite not going any more because the new fence made it, in the words of my teenage self, a corporate sell-out (although I bought a ticket some years), the fence was surely a necessary improvement as you used to have to stay up all night guarding your tent against theft from the semi-organised criminal gangs who robbed everyone.

We always went down on the Wednesday and the early nights were the worst as they targeted people who still had all their money- my mate had a hole burnt in his tent and his wallet, car keys, etc. were filched without waking him up, another mate woke up to find a scally kneeling on his chest, about to knock his tooth out and I saw evidence of even more brutal stuff- people getting properly done over.

The last year we were there we camped right next to the fence in quite an out-of-the way area and gangs of thugs would be coming over back and forth all night, proper menacing guys with sizeable blunt instruments in many cases. Security was one Land Rover with a few fat guards in it who'd make a comical effort to chase people early on but would just give up by the Friday.

I wouldn't go near that shit nowadays but at the time I just saw it as a kind of trade-off for the lawless elements I liked! I just remember each year as being a long, strange sleep-deprived trip. The first two were also mentally muddy which just made it surreal.

It's brilliant value when you consider how many acts you can see and the ability to go and see a band and just wander off if they're disappointing, and to find good acts by accident is great. Watching the headliners with tens of thousands of other people is pretty much unique as well. This last paragraph is probably the only useful bit of this ramble as the festival is probably very different now but the festival format is really cool  if you love seeing live bandsand I'd be surprised if Glasto isn't the best of the major festivals still.

Eddies

• forum hero
#9 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 28, 2013, 12:40:26 pm
Relpying to Slackline:
I think ultimately thats the difference.
Glasto is very friendly (since the fence), ive never heard of any violence there since i started going in 2009 and compared to other fesitvals the crime is very low despite it being the biggest. everyone who goes comes back with a few stories of the good vibes there.

At the end of the day you will only appreciate the difference if you go and experience a few different festivals, most you grow out of my the time you hit 30... Glasto has plently for all ages

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

ianv

• forum abuser
#12 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 29, 2013, 10:12:31 am
This guy , on the other hand, seemed to have a great time  :bow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej58q9/acts/apfp5v#p01c2hrr

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#13 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
June 29, 2013, 02:33:00 pm
Heard him talking to LL on 6music yesterday ahead of his performance. Such a top bloke.

crimp

#14 Re: Glastonbury fashion parade?
July 04, 2013, 01:38:52 pm
Glasto from our local friendly Bristol climbing shop

http://m.facebook.com/DicksClimbing?id=101723016557574&_rdr#!/101723016557574/timeline/story?ut=2&hash=5946638639228613114&wstart=0&wend=1375340399&pagefilter=1&ustart&__user=100005310912827

sorry only takes you to home page. Its 27th June entry

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal