UKBouldering.com

[Wye Valley][Huntsham][Shoehorn][7A+] (Read 3454 times)

Duma

• forum hero
[Wye Valley][Huntsham][Shoehorn][7A+]
July 05, 2013, 03:16:03 am
Quite possibly done before, but have asked around a few locals and nothing's been mentioned, so here you go:

The undercut arete below the finish of "Square Eagle", about 70m right of Alex's Roof as you face the crag. Climb the arete pretty much straight on, from standing. Watch the big tree in the landing zone. Nice couple of moves. Might scrape 7B I suppose.

Duma

• forum hero
fb pic, hope it works. shows the eponymous shoe at least:

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Technology at work! Did you test the shoe?

Duma

• forum hero
No, but it's hung on a nasty sharp branch stump that I wasn't keen to be impaled on!

andy popp

• forum hero
I like the look of that. I'll be down in Hereford in August (pre-Green Man); would it be OK with one mat (and a shoe)?

Duma

• forum hero
One mat should be ok Andy, the move to the break just below the ledge I'm standing on is the last of the hard climbing. The tree is a bit in the fall zone though so you tend to land right by the base of the trunk, and no matter how tightly you push your mat up against the tree a foot can get twisted between the mat and the trunk. A mat and a spotter in the tree would be fine. There's plenty of other stuff to play on on the boulders that'd be fine on your own and bivi  buttress is a lovely spot with good steep lowball probs. Note the paths are massively overgrown ATM, I've got pretty scratched and stung ankles from yesterday's visit! Give me a shout when you`re down, can't do gm this year but may be able to get out for an afternoon in the week before.

andy popp

• forum hero
Cheers Duma, I'll drop you a line if I think I can get there. Besides I've realized there's no way Ican fit a mat in with all the camping stuff.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
I looked up at that last time I was there and though 'hmm that looks a) good but difficult and b) there's a tree in the way. Good effort!

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
Saw this the other day, looked pretty cool ! Didnt have mat with me last time will be sure to give it a go next time . Does anyone know the status of the highball stuff running all along the top of the woods,behind the normal circuit of boulders?
Thanks

Beastly Squirrel

• player
  • a squirrel
#9 Re: [Wye Valley][Huntsham][Shoehorn][7A+]
August 18, 2013, 06:34:13 pm
Thinking of heading to Huntshams tomorow morning... will the main crag and bivi butress likely to be dry?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal