UKBouldering.com

Peak area meet wed 19th Nov (Read 3897 times)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 13, 2014, 07:54:25 pm
Hi folks

It's that time of year again - the BMC Peak AGM and quiz. 19th November, 7.30pm, The Maynard. After the usual stuff it's time to demonstrate your knowledge. Graham and Neil are setting it this year, so you never know citizens of UKB, someone else might win this year!?

All the papers, including the newsletter can be found here:
http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=3130

Hope to see you next week,

Moff

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 18, 2014, 06:13:17 pm
Tomorrow.

The victorious UKB quiz team won't be fielding some of our star players. Graham Hoey has set it. Need some ringers. Might give Keith a call....

fried

• forum hero
#2 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 18, 2014, 07:09:49 pm
Any chance of someone putting up the questions as usual... I'll get you a virtual pint...

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 18, 2014, 11:14:19 pm
I'll see what we can do about putting the questions up, but what I'd really like is for people to come along and join in on the night.  The quiz has been a lot of hard work - actually only finished prep'ing it about an hour ago - and we have got a great set of prizes on offer.

The inevitability of the UKB wrestling back control next year has been compromised by the passing of emergency rules which dictate a team ratio of 1 UKB'r to 5 hasbeen trad climbers & walkers.  How this all pans out on the night remains to be seen....

Fried - I assume you reside in the southern hemisphere in order to qualify for authorised absence on the night?

Neil

fried

• forum hero
#4 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 19, 2014, 06:05:06 am
Noooo...is France far enough?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#5 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 19, 2014, 09:25:14 am
I hear there may be an unexpected rash of benighted boulderers on some of the longer Peak problems on Wednesday evening. Also the watching of bouldering in exotic locations...sorry dude but I was involved with dynos on a comet.

kc

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 20, 2014, 11:16:09 am
Good quiz last night. Well done Graham & Neil.
 Definitely better than some of the previous ones. It certainly catered for a majority of the audience. Unfortunately I fitted very much into the minority and as such felt quite guilty walking away with a £15 gift card. My contribution to the team was pathetic.

dave

#7 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 20, 2014, 12:43:31 pm
Good quiz, hope the winners make the most of their moment of glory while it lasts.

Good breadth of coverage, if a touch long. 160 points available!

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 20, 2014, 12:57:12 pm
Good breadth of coverage, if a touch long. 160 points available!

A touch...?  Dave - you must be joking!  It was waaay too long - and for that I can only apologise.

Gra had put loads of work into the slides, and we hadn't really done a run-though.  It was only when I was laying out the answer sheet (about 2h work) on Tuesday evening that I realised we'd completely blown the length - and by then it was too late.  Sorry.

Anyway when I got in last night I got a major dressing down for the quiz length, and for it being too hard and too esoteric for many in the room  :-[

We'll try to get the questions up on here later, so folk like Fried can have a go.  But be warned - you'll need some serious staying power....

Neil

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#9 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 20, 2014, 01:44:20 pm
Its the latest in a really excellent recent series of annual quizes and of all those I'd say it was the one with the most even scores across the teams. I thought it was maybe on the slightly long side of OK and my attention span was even more dented than normal for various reasons. Are you or Graham going to put up some of the questions here, as requested above, as it was popular before and it adds a bit of value to your sterling efforts.

This was the 2013 thread:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=23249.0

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 20, 2014, 02:54:07 pm
Still gutted to have lost to UKC and only just ahead of Gary Gibson as well. Star players Cofe and Jonboy were severely missed.

Shame on the UKBers who were on the UKC table.   :rtfm:

I have the quiz from Graham   :bow:

If someone would like to volunteer as quizmaster Ill email it over.

Wad points await.. 

205Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 20, 2014, 08:05:00 pm
Anyway when I got in last night I got a major dressing down for the quiz length, and for it being too hard and too esoteric for many in the room  :-[

Good effort organising it, I thought it was great. Nothing wrong with a bit of esoterica.

Still gutted to have lost to UKC and only just ahead of Gary Gibson as well. Star players Cofe and Jonboy were severely missed.

Shame on the UKBers who were on the UKC table.   :rtfm:

:sorry: Nothing deliberate. We just rocked up at an empty table and were joined later. If it makes you feel better there were more UKBers than UKCers so just call us the UKB 'B' Team.

Its the latest in a really excellent recent series of annual quizes

No pressure for next year then  ;).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#12 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 21, 2014, 07:26:50 pm
Gutted I couldn't make it. An online copy would be great.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#13 Re: Peak area meet wed 19th Nov
November 21, 2014, 08:16:39 pm
there were more UKBers than UKCers so just call us the UKB 'B' Team

I'm sure Alan and Mick would be overjoyed to be the UKB 'B' Team. You let us down Lovejoy!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal