UKBouldering.com

Yet another magic wood topic (Read 2299 times)

ducko

• junky
Yet another magic wood topic
June 24, 2013, 11:38:14 pm
Hi folks,

After not hearing too many good reviews on zillertal I think magic wood may be a better option.

I hear there is camping there? Is it free if not how much?
Are there toilets or showers there?
Is it possible to park near by and sleep in your car?

What are the likely conditions in july?
And lastly I'm thinking of going on my own os this a wise idea and are thee plenty of problems that can be done with one or two large pads?

Thanks in advance

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Re: Yet another magic wood topic
June 24, 2013, 11:59:16 pm
There is no free camping in Swiss, campsite is 5 minute limp to boulders. At last count I think it was 5 francs a night, maybe showers now but didn't used to be. Parking and sleeping in your car will be frowned upon. Motor homes stay on campsite parking. July will be good and one or two pads will be fine, there are always pads hanging around. My rule of thumb with them is if it's a weekday i'll use them without straying too far, but if it's wknd I'll leave them. Midweek is generally a lot quieter

ducko

• junky
#2 Re: Yet another magic wood topic
June 25, 2013, 01:37:33 am
Awesome ta, so at the campsite you park up next to your tent ? You have a pitch is it?
Cheers

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#3 Re: Yet another magic wood topic
June 25, 2013, 08:27:47 am
Park up and pitch it wherever you can find a space usually. Think it works out about £3.50 a night.

You can get a hot shower up at the guesthouse for 5CHF (3.50) but the river is bearable and quite refreshing if you wait till early afternoon when the sun is on it.

Andeer is the closest for food shopping but quite dear. If you go to Thusis instead, there is Migros, Co-op and crucially the much cheaper Lidl/Aldi combo further down the main road.

ducko

• junky
#4 Re: Yet another magic wood topic
June 25, 2013, 01:39:54 pm
ideal, ta beast

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Yet another magic wood topic
June 25, 2013, 02:12:33 pm
Just a bit of warning to all going this summer! As Dense has mentioned! DO NOT try and FREE CAMP! Apparently the locals in the valley are getting really pissed off and could result in magic wood getting closed down for climbers!

This includes people in campervans! Stay at the designated campsite or campground in Andeer (Small town/village at the bottom) or there is a nice but expensive campsite in the next valley over! Camping is proper cheap in magic wood though!

Have a good trip lad.

ducko

• junky
#6 Re: Yet another magic wood topic
June 25, 2013, 08:15:34 pm
A few spoil it for many..

Don't worry I'll be paying my way and not excreting in the woods ;)

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Yet another magic wood topic
June 26, 2013, 08:06:47 am
Apologies for the hijack,  but what are the conditions like in July,  August and September? Cheers

Whyatt

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Yet another magic wood topic
July 08, 2013, 10:28:08 pm
Just got back its 5francs per person lidl in thusis is the way forward and see Thomas for showers and free WiFi chill out area also you can gas at his climbing shop which is useful. Not much in the way of pads lying about I suppose they get nicked use to be loads years ago, forest was clean which was nice to see enjoy

cha1n

• forum hero
#9 Re: Yet another magic wood topic
July 14, 2013, 11:44:53 am
I'll try posting here before starting a new thread as my question is related...

Is magic wood worth the detour from Ailefroide? I'll be at Ailefroide for a few weeks with friends and we were going to head to Ceuse and sport climb, gradually moving in the Pyrenees/Spain direction but quite fancy checking out Swiss bouldering. Would I be wasting my time getting there for late August and will there be much climbable until mid-late September?

Cheers!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal