UKBouldering.com

bridge jumping in cheedale (Read 3853 times)

cofe

• forum hero
bridge jumping in cheedale
June 07, 2004, 01:17:20 pm
yo, iposted this in training cos it's probably more befitting of the 'how to hurt yourself' sub-heading.

so does anyone have any knowledge?

word.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 bridge jumping in cheedale
June 07, 2004, 01:23:56 pm
Some of the bridges round there have wires across the arch to stop swingers. I think the one just past the Cornice (upstream) may be clear (not sure if the dropzone is big/clear enough tho).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 bridge jumping in cheedale
June 07, 2004, 01:48:57 pm
SamT knows of a very good one near Manchester I think - not sure the ones in Cheedale itself would be much good.

irish si

• menacing presence
#3 bridge jumping in cheedale
June 07, 2004, 02:30:12 pm
there are good ones in cheadale. keen youth has the beta. he will no doubt tell all.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 bridge jumping in cheedale
June 08, 2004, 09:16:25 pm
The one that you drop underneath to get to the embankment has no wires on it but I can't see what you'd tie off.

I have jumped off the Wormhill end one with Craig Lonsdale many moons ago. You have to throw a rucsac off to break the branches of the tree if memory serves.

SamT

• forum hero
#5 bridge jumping in cheedale
June 09, 2004, 11:24:25 am
The one I did (with Erm,Sam - Hiya) - was awesome.

Diss-used railway bridge just off the M6 just north of the lakes turnoff

(Alt-Tab to multimap)

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=365000&Y=492500&width=500&height=300&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&scale=50000&out.x=6&out.y=13

So juction 37 to sedburgh - turn north on the b6257. look out for the big fuck off bridge on the right.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=362500&Y=492500&width=500&height=300&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&scale=50000&multimap.x=294&multimap.y=120

its bang above the 'W' of Waterside.

There was a farm right under the bridge, we knocked but no body was about so we pinned a note to the door. We saw the farmer later on, he thought we were practicing our absailing  :lol:  needless to say - we let him carry on beleiving that. His only concerned seemed to be the ravens nest under one of the arches - and that it was now ok since the chicks had flown.

As for the bridge itself - it were proper bo - Several stone arches alla millersdale - but the central one over the water itself was iron work girders. Some one had gone to a lot of trouble to lay a wooden walkway across the girders that was T shapes so you could walk from side to side and accross the middle to tie on your ropes. There was a bit of tat insitu to allow you to pull your ropes under the arch too which was very handy since its over the water so you cant tie em together underneath. Also you cant get lowered off (unless your wearing a wet suit). We jugged back up a static rope. You might want some carpet too for rub points on the rusty griders  :shock:

It was a long time ago and I wouldnt be suprised if its been banned now due to the nanny state and litigenous culture we have to live in.

I'll dig out some photos I've got and post em up.

Word.

dave

#6 Re: bridge jumping in cheedale
June 14, 2004, 04:13:55 pm
Quote from: "cofe"
yo, iposted this in training cos it's probably more befitting of the 'how to hurt yourself' sub-heading.

so does anyone have any knowledge?

word.

fucking hell are you injured again john or summert?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 bridge jumping in cheedale
June 18, 2004, 04:59:51 pm
Clm and I and a bunch of others of us jumped that one in cumbria a few years back. I used to teach rope access on it to - called firbank viaduct. Clm was the hero - paying out more and more slack til he hit the trees. No jugging back up for us - the ropes were anchored to fig-8s and we got lowered off.
One point to bear in mind is that if you use two ropes leave the back up one slack. Otherwise you halve the load on each rope which doubles the impact force on your body, ie a single static would give a softer impact. let me know if you need more beyda

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 bridge jumping in cheedale
June 18, 2004, 05:31:39 pm
look at me with the applied physics :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal