UKBouldering.com

Olly lifts (Read 3297 times)

krymson

• obsessive maniac
Olly lifts
May 20, 2013, 12:58:59 pm
Had a friend mention he did Olly lifts ("What's that?" Olympic lifts, apparently).

He does it partly to get big, but he mentioned that the clean helped his vertical jump -- this is  a huge weakness of mine so that peaked my interest.

some brief googling reveals Ollys are more effective than static lifts - power lifts, for increasing vertical leap.
http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/936/Power_Snatch_vs_Power_Clean.aspx

Does anyone here do Olympic lifts? Any suggestions for most effective ones(snatch, clean, variations), ways to do them without increasing a lot of mass, and resources for learning to do them correctly?

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Olly lifts
May 20, 2013, 09:32:09 pm
If you're doing them for jump, I'd recommend power clean but I'm hardly an expert.  Why do you want to get better at jumping?

I've been deadlifting for a while now and have got a pretty strong back through that. More recently I've started on the power cleans because they are much more explosive but I find the traps are really targeted. That's fine, big traps make you look strong (and climb harder, probably). Stick to 5 reps and you won't put much mass on, but if you get stronger you'll get heavier so make sure your fingers keep up.

YouTube but it's not amazing. Just got to start light and work up.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Olly lifts
May 21, 2013, 12:46:13 am
> Why do you want to get better at jumping?

Better range on dynos.

There is a pretty clear path with campusing to improve explosiveness and range wiith the upper body so i know exactly what to do there, but as I like to use my feet as much as possible, I would like to increase explosiveness from the legs as well.

Thanks for the tip about power cleans! That's what my friend said as well i think, will look into them.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: Olly lifts
May 21, 2013, 10:24:33 am
I started a Oly lifting thread a couple of years back.  It's in the training forum.  Snatch and C&J did me the world of good, got rid of all my elbow and back tweaks and pains and the snatch massively improved my flexibility.

Not climbing or lifting much at the moment but I'll be back on it when I get my gear back. 

I did a few hours coaching with a good lifter and learned a lot of good technique.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Olly lifts
May 21, 2013, 10:58:26 am
Found it. good stuff. thanks!

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
#5 Re: Olly lifts
May 30, 2013, 02:03:29 pm
Snatches, box jumps and push presses are all amazing for improving your vertical jump and general explosiveness in your legs.

I follow a powerlifting style routine and alternate my deadlift day with a snatch day.

Seems to be working for me so far :)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#6 Re: Olly lifts
June 22, 2013, 09:55:02 pm
Got my barbell and plates back today after eighteen  months  :weakbench:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal