UKBouldering.com

How to modify a .pdf file (Read 2591 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
How to modify a .pdf file
June 19, 2013, 03:48:24 pm
OK, so I am an techno-idiot.
I have some .pdf files that I need to modify before printing them.
They are some multiple-answer tests that I have to study and learn. The files that I have, have the correct answer highlighted, and that's useful, but I also need to study and test myself on tests without the correct answer highlighted.
Is there any way I can do it? This last question means: "Is there anyone here that can do it for me?".
Cheers.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 19, 2013, 03:53:17 pm
Adobe Acrobat is commonly used for editing PDFs (and not the Adobe Acrobat Reader you likely have installed).  There are trial versions available.

Alternatively you could try one of the M$-Win PDF Editors some of which are free.  Or there are two online editors listed.

Haven't time to do it for you I'm afraid (not that I ever edit PDFs myself).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 19, 2013, 03:54:10 pm
You can do it in Acrobat pro, which I think I may have somewhere on my PC but I'd have to check.  There may well be freeware that does it, but I don't know of any.

IanP

• forum abuser
#3 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 19, 2013, 04:02:34 pm
Depending on the complexity / size of the doc and changes required you can also achieve some basic changes by copying pages as images into word and then using text box / shape functionality to make the changes e.g. in this case copy the each page into word then use a blank text box to cover over the answer.

Not very elegent but actually not that difficult and could take less time than trying to find / install software for a one off.

Durbs

• forum hero
#4 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 19, 2013, 04:08:24 pm
Also, depending on the PDF, some are specifically locked-down, so even with Acrobat you can't easily edit it - it basically converts it into a picture.

Quick thing which may work - print it out, then scan it with OCR software?

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 How to modify a .pdf file
June 19, 2013, 04:29:00 pm
or - if you want to remove certain answers, print out (its multichoice) and using a black marker go over ALL the answers!

Hi tech solution ;)

psychomansam

• forum hero
#6 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 19, 2013, 04:32:03 pm
There are plenty of websites like this which probably present your easiest option - no software needed (assuming you have something to edit doc files, i.e. Word or OpenOffice)

http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/

Sometimes one converter works better than another...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#7 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 19, 2013, 04:52:24 pm
Yes, I've tried a few converters to word, they convert the answers (then I can modify them) but they lose the questions, so I have to read them in another sheet. Better than nothing.
The problem is that to mark the exact answer, they didn't just tick the box, they fucking wrote the answer in different font!!! Hence the need to edit the file!!!  :furious:

SamT

• forum hero
#8 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 20, 2013, 12:41:02 pm

Adobe Acrobat Professional is available for free (legitimately) from this page.. (old version 7 but should do what you need).

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#9 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 20, 2013, 12:53:29 pm
chemical castration?

wait...sorry, my mistake

that's a paedophile.

chris j

• forum abuser
#10 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 20, 2013, 01:00:48 pm
One low tech option, since you said you wanted to modify them before printing, might be to save each page as a jpeg (not sure if you can do this from Addbe reader, if not then you can from a trial full version of Acrobat), then open each jpeg in Paint and draw over the offending text in white or other colour of your choice. The electronic equivalent of scrubbing out the text with a big black permanent marker...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#11 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 20, 2013, 02:13:00 pm
Problem solved, cheers.
I converted the .pdf to word. A friend of mine told me that I could not see the questions anymore because in word they were white on white. I modified the colour and job done.
 :2thumbsup:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#12 Re: How to modify a .pdf file
June 20, 2013, 02:25:22 pm
:lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal