UKBouldering.com

First pad (Read 7086 times)

sharm

First pad
June 11, 2013, 12:34:16 pm
I'm looking to buy my first bouldering pad and I have no idea what to get. I live in sheffield so will be bouldering in the local area and I want something decent but not too expensive, about £125 mark would be nice. What would you recommend?

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#1 Re: First pad
June 11, 2013, 12:48:08 pm
I really like my alpkit project. It's my 5th pad. Light enough, big enough, durable and good foam. I think it was £150 but postage may have been free(?).
FWIW I have a DMM highball and have never been happy with it :worms:

sharm

#2 Re: First pad
June 11, 2013, 05:01:23 pm
what about black diamond impact bouldering mat? is that any good? and its only £110  :2thumbsup:

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: First pad
June 11, 2013, 05:15:08 pm
what about black diamond impact bouldering mat? is that any good? and its only £110  :2thumbsup:

Nope. A former owner described his as being effective as a 'crisp packet' after 3 months.. Bad Rep.

I hate to say it, but you pays yer money, you takes yer choice... Over the last 5 years.. I've had.. (in chronological order)

1. Alpkit Phud - had to get a replacement cover after a year but was OK.
2. Snap Calzone (old model) Great - though a little small as a single mat - still going great guns
3. Snap Bun (old model) Pretty good - replaced the foam and now reserve mat as the pad straps are hanging off a bit (I caught them coming off a problem and ripped the fittings a little)
4. Snap Bun (new/present model) didnt like it as much as the old one - sold it
5. Ocun 'paddy dominator' a bit chunky - but really good. My personal fave out of all of them....

You could also look at local smaller manufacturers like Momentum bouldering (I expect a google will turn them up)...

punkpunk

• player
#4 Re: First pad
June 11, 2013, 05:18:50 pm
Metolius Bailout? Think it is the same foam as more expensive model but with more basic outer..

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#5 Re: First pad
June 11, 2013, 09:29:35 pm
I have an alpkit and it was pretty good (esp given the price at the time which was £80) but is now too soft for any real use. My brother bought a climbing factory Groundhog and foam and cover are great (it has 2 layers of hard foam, one on either side of the softer inner and i think this makes it much better). The only thing is, the fittings were carp. The shoulder strap broke almost immediately. However, in terms of a mat i think it is much better than the alpkit given they now cost the same. Food for thought. http://www.climbingfactory.co.uk/products.html

psychomansam

• forum hero
#6 Re: First pad
June 11, 2013, 10:55:26 pm
The climb x on gooutdoors is £100. Occasionally on sale down to about 80. Seems good for the price. Thick. Not going to be the best foam, but could be an alright starter, especially if you catch a sale.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#7 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 12:03:26 am
Foam on that looks v poor, I had a gander inside. If you can afford £120 will another 20 odd break the bank? You will be very glad of quality when you fly off from any height. Quality I have used: DMM SNAP Wild Country
 I'm not impressed by Black Diamond Climb X or Metolius (tho know those who like the Metolius stuff). Climbing Factory seem heavy and solid foam.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 First pad
June 12, 2013, 08:11:10 am
http://momentumbouldering.co.uk/ these look nice.. can get your own design too..

crimp

#9 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 08:32:11 am
I've been mulling over investing in my first pad for years now. Struggling mentally with the prices though.

I have narrowed it down now though to the Ocun PD, and the Beal big air. Based on need for crash pad to equally be good ankle saver, and a good bivi sleep mattress for a middle aged 6 foot punter with a trick back.

Now if i can just get the 200 notes together!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#10 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 08:46:46 am
http://momentumbouldering.co.uk/ these look nice.. can get your own design too..

Giant penguin pad.  :2thumbsup:

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 09:26:24 am
I've been mulling over investing in my first pad for years now. Struggling mentally with the prices though.

Yup - though the way I look at it, £200 every two years or so as the main bit of kit (aside boots which probably last a similar time..) isnt too bad for a passtime/hobby/obsession..

SteveR (used to post on here) had a go at making some pads. Nice ones too - though once he factored in the cost of the foam and fabric, he would be making c.£10-20 per pad selling to trade.. not much recovery for all the time spent on them.. so he gave up. I dont think theres any big £££ markup in pads..

andy_e

• forum hero
#12 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 09:28:01 am
Two years for a pair of boots? Do you campus everything?

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 09:31:46 am
Two years for a pair of boots? Do you campus everything?

yeah - thats me. TomTom - the walking bicep :D

Seriously, I get about 18mths to 2 years for a pair of boots.. I do generally have two pairs on the go ~ so that skews things a bit.. but my main pair (usually Anasazi Velcro's) last about that.. my Dragons are 2yrs + now and still loads of go in them..

andy_e

• forum hero
#14 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 09:45:36 am
Good work Mr. Precise Footwork! That said, you say you get two years out of a pad too but I only just upgraded my old pad (five years old but foam still mostly good)...

I went for the Wild Country Big Whatever from Go Outdoors, Usually £150 but down to £130 (I got it for £115 with an extra bank holiday 10% off). Seems very solid but they're new pads so no longevity testing reports seem to be available. I then stuffed the foam from the old Black Diamond mat, where the foam was still fairly decent but the cover and straps knackered, into my ten year old metolius mat, where the foam was knackered but the cover and straps still solid. Hey presto, two mats nearly as good as new! I think the foam in my Black Diamond came from just before they cut costs and started using crisp packets instead.

LB1782

• regular
#15 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 10:16:43 am
Tiso currently have a couple of pads on sale

WC Big Air ~£125
and
Metolius Recon ~£187

Other than hinged vs taco, I've no idea what the extra £62 really gets you.
Are they both decent pads?

andy_e

• forum hero
#16 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 10:18:00 am
The Recon is much larger than the WC mat, it folds into three parts.

LB1782

• regular
#17 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 10:23:36 am
oh yes of course  152.4 cm >> 130cm ... stupid brain  :wall:

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#18 Re: First pad
June 12, 2013, 11:01:06 am
Good work Mr. Precise Footwork! That said, you say you get two years out of a pad too but I only just upgraded my old pad (five years old but foam still mostly good)...

Jesus!

A new pad a year and a few pairs (few pairs been at least 7) of boots a year keeps me going... just!

Currently have a Snap Bun! Build quality and foam is good, but if you ever have anything inside the pad then the straps are so skewed on your back you may as well carry it on just one shoulder (and then run the risk of looking like that 'weird guy' at school who carry his bag on one shoulder!).

Moon Warrior- Upped there game recently, pad looks good and sits well on bag, taco with a bottom strap, so can put things inside without them falling out the bottom.
Black diamond Dropzone- Used to be amazing still got a good design, foam bad
DMM Dyno Pad- Good design and foam, really annoying fiddly buckles especially in the cold.
Elederid- Good foam and design, but thinks break off it, especially the stupid zip at the bottom.
Podsacs- good design, simple and good foam *** NEXT PAD FOR ME***
Metolius Boss hog- Good design, bit small, sits well on your back Though!

Check out Rock and Run: http://info.rockrun.com/categories/reviews.html they have some good reviews from climbers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal