UKBouldering.com

[Peak District] [Boston Castle] [The Earl] [8A+] (Read 3204 times)

Greg C

• forum hero

dave

I'm sure residents of Rotherham will be delighted to discover they're now in the peak district!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Disappointed Dave. Was expecting a comment from you along the lines of "sounds well boston".

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
More importantly, a sandstone crag in Rotherham with decent hard problems? I had to check the date wasn't 01/04. Amazing.

Greg C

• forum hero
I realise it's in South Yorks but I was bracketing according to what current guide book area I thought it was closest to. In the same way I would assume Anston Stones might go into a future Peak guide despite it technically not being in the Peak.

Feel free to change it.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
I used to mess around soloing there whilst at the college down the road before I properly started climbing... Always wondered about going back to see if there was anything good....

dave

I abbed down the crag when I was at college there but I was only climbing VS at the time and just remember it seeming a bit soft.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
Very sandy as well.... Equal numbers of beer bottles and chavs as well haha

Dolph

• player
The Old hunting house lodge thing has been done up and the whole park has seen a bit of a face lift. I have not experienced any beer bottles or chavs. But i can see the potential as with any urban venue. The Sandstone is very soft in places and certainly climbing here after rain would be a bad idea! On the wall that provides the main interest though the rock has settled and is solid. Certainly no worse than Bowden. There has now been developed a range of problems on here now, with all the up lines being done. I don't like the idea of climbing on much of the other stuff as it seems not as compacted and well out in the open, hense likely to upset someone. The wall mentioned is quite well hidden, solid and better. Most of the real diffiulty with the lines comes from the sit start moves up the intial steep bit. Except for one line i did last night. I've been a fair few times now and i'm really enjoying it. But I live 5mins away. I would have to stress that unless you live the Rotherham way or are just bored. I wouldn't make a special trip as you likely leave cursing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal