UKBouldering.com

Recomend me a lakes crag (Read 1663 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Recomend me a lakes crag
June 04, 2013, 04:14:52 pm
Off to the Lakes for the weekend near Cockermouth, going up early on Friday and would like to call in at a crag I've not been to before (ie not the bowderstone or st bees) thats near by or on the way.
Needs to be kid friendly, preferably with some small boulders for them to play on, shortish walk in, plenty of font 6's and a few 7's and a bit of shade somewhere as its supposed to be boiling on Fridays.
Thanks

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Recomend me a lakes crag
June 04, 2013, 04:19:09 pm
Langdale boulders would seem to fit the bill but are a bit of a detour...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Recomend me a lakes crag
June 04, 2013, 04:25:29 pm
Carrock is en route and quick access from the car.

Eskdale may be an option if you go home in a circuitous fashion?

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Recomend me a lakes crag
June 04, 2013, 05:22:13 pm
Kentmere - if you're going through the middle of the Lakes or heading in from J36. Badger rock has lots of easier things and Badger Arete (6C+ IIRC) is worth the effort (it also has shade) and little Font has plenty of shade and harder things.. -ves are 5 min walk from car, can be tricky to get a parking spot +ves are Wilfs in Stavely for great food before/after. If its log/busy etc.. its only 20-30min extra to head up the valley and back.

Carrock is good too.. though I dont think there will be any shade (apart from amongst the boulders) and it can be a bit spread out for a quick hit.

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
#4 Re: Recomend me a lakes crag
June 04, 2013, 05:28:45 pm
I guess Langdale boulders wouldn't be a major detour. About 15 mins from Ambleside, and the boulders are a 30 second walk in. The best problems would be in the shade in an evening as well.  The overhang ss is an excellent 7B, although very slightly eliminate. Pocket problem (6C), the overhang (6C), the V6 traverse (Have a guess?) are all uber classic in my opinion. There also some lesser known high quality problems such as a very strange one move wander (7A/6C) on the bottom boulder, and the low crimpy traverse (6C) on the side over the wall of the top boulder. Plus it's a really nice spot, take a cold beer with you and watch the sun go down over pavey ark.

Funnily enough I like the Langdale boulders  :shag:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal