UKBouldering.com

Mint(ish) day in the Peak! (Read 2728 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Mint(ish) day in the Peak!
January 05, 2003, 05:21:35 pm
Hooray! at last! a rain free day in the Peak. I went up to Stanage plantation (as did everyone else) and found anything facing up the hill was covered in snow and anything facing downhill was fine. Bumped into Matt Birch and Steve McClure before heading over to Burbage, couple of people parked in the ditch (thankfully not hurt) and the road between Stanage and Burbage treacherous, met up with Rupert at Westworld before trekking to submergence. I am soo happy! a bit wet in places but a fucking brilliant day. I love climbing, the peak district - what a fitting end to a crap Xmas climbing.  :D

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#1 Mint(ish) day in the Peak!
January 06, 2003, 08:49:47 am
sounds good - had a fantastic day out myself yesterday - snagging the first ascent of this beauty:

dave

#2 Mint(ish) day in the Peak!
January 06, 2003, 09:04:02 am
We dedided to try Cratcliff/RHS/Eagle, and it turned out to be a good choice. A lot less snow than there was round sheffield. Between the lot of us we managed to do T-Crack, Jerry's Arete (2 flashes), Brad's Arete, Shroom and Face Arete, and some other stuff. Not a bad day out, although i managed to split on a tip on the first thing i tried. Scouse D showed us his "8b" eagle tor project - lucky for you dave i had bad skin or I'd have iced that biatch for sure!

One weird thing we noticed was down my that lone boulder at RHS (you know, with the tall B4 arete and a B7 slab) there was some 8-inch high blue lettering spraypainted on with a stencil, just left of the arete (underneath that 7c thing), saying summert like "23/06/03", and also the same thing on a neighbouring small block. Anyone know what the fuck this is all about? mindless graffiti?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Mint(ish) day in the Peak!
January 06, 2003, 09:55:42 am
Aaaagghgh! I made a severe error of judgement by the sounds of things. After trying to get out on Sat and everything being soaked, I just went for a long walk with Sel on Sunday up Lathkill Dale (may be some bouldering up there that deserves further investigation).

Not seen that grafitti - people do the strangest things but at least they didn't carve it in with a chisel I suppose.

What / where are Face Arete and Shroom??

dave

#4 Mint(ish) day in the Peak!
January 07, 2003, 08:59:38 am
Face arete and Shroom are in the database, Shroom is the pocketed wall right of that nice B3 tufa thing near Brad's Arete. Its got some shit pockets and a nice juggy top so we were dynoing from the low start holds to the top and holding an immense swing.

Face arete is up the hill round left of Brad's arete, its a nice looking curvey steep arete. Only John managed it, wierd sloper hugging required. Not sure exactly what blocks at the start are allowed, but i think we had it right.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Mint(ish) day in the Peak!
January 07, 2003, 09:12:58 am
oh aye! I was still thinking of Cratcliffe for some reason.....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal