UKBouldering.com

Bolt failure on North Wales limestone (Read 19128 times)

ding dong

• addict
I have used 10mm thunderbolts before to clean and prepare projects and it takes quite a considerable amount of force to get the thread to bite. With anything less than 10mm it  would be so easy to sheared heads off and most definitely start to twist the metal.

although not suitable for fixed climbing anchors, I have also used these temporarily to access steep projects that I would rather resin than expansion bolt. once a way is found and a line tensioned the thunderbolt can be replaced(preferably in the same hole resized? for a neat finish.. Tidy!!)
I broke a couple in a building situation when I first started using them, basically using 'excessive force' to place them in a hole that was apparently to small- I figured my 10mm drill bit had worn to 9.134mm or something, anyway, don't force it in if its obviously too tight, it might not go all the way in and its gonna get harder and harder to get out! it might even break.. be careful lads.

ding dong

• addict
OH! to have a project to equip.. so exciting..

petejh

• forum hero
You should check out the left-hand wall (looking in) on the allotment Neil (and anyone else) - there's some good-looking hard proj's through the roofs there. loads of afternoon sun - more than Diamond, will be a good late year spot because it doesn't suffer any sea-level grease. I bolted one line there earlier this year before the bird ban started - a cool juggy flowstone line of weakness through the right-hand side of the big roof, but I won't be doing it this year - major body fail. There's evidence of an old project further left through the steepest part. I put two stainless through-bolts at the top of the cliff for abbing in, need hangers.

Doylo

• forum hero
OH! to have a project to equip.. so exciting..

Don't kid us ding dong. We all know your climbings finished again now you've with women ;)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#29 Bolt failure on North Wales limestone
June 01, 2013, 06:05:38 pm
Women?

The Devils angels?

Don't fall into their trap as I have son! Run, run for your life...

Not.

Doylo

• forum hero
Women?

The Devils angels?

Don't fall into their trap as I have son! Run, run for your life...

Not.

More like the Devils disciples

kelvin

• forum hero
Or the Devil's demons...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal